Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I picked up a new (old Schwinn 754) road bike today. Everything is really nice about it. I dont know a whole lot about bikes. I bought it because it rode very smooth, everything works well and it's super light.. not to mention I think it looks good! So its obvious that the person who sold it hasnt been using it too much lately. Its got dust all over. So, what should I do now besides clean it up? I know I should lube the chain. What should I use? Is WD-40 ok? I'm trying to avoid taking it in to a shop 1. because everything is solid on it, and 2. I'm broke (I'm a college student). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Lube the chain and cables with something other than WD-40 (only a "water displacement" chemical). Get some Tri-Flow or something from your LBS....a little goes a long way.

Check all the nuts and bolts for tightness. Get that stem and seatpost outa there NOW and put some good quality grease on 'em. Make sure the wheels spin sorta round and sorta smooth. Pump up the tires. Adjust the seat and such to fit YOU. Recheck all the nuts and bolts.

Then, go ride it like ya stole it! And smile and have fun!! Wear your helmet.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well ..

alatrace said:
Ok, so I picked up a new (old Schwinn 754) road bike today. Everything is really nice about it. I dont know a whole lot about bikes. I bought it because it rode very smooth, everything works well and it's super light.. not to mention I think it looks good! So its obvious that the person who sold it hasnt been using it too much lately. Its got dust all over. So, what should I do now besides clean it up? I know I should lube the chain. What should I use? Is WD-40 ok? I'm trying to avoid taking it in to a shop 1. because everything is solid on it, and 2. I'm broke (I'm a college student). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
1. Buy a lock.
2. Start saving for upgrades. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks guys. I got some good lube and greased up the chain. It rides a lot smoother. The only thing that sucks is theres so many little pot holes in the road (in chicago). I'm going to be participating in the critical mass this friday in Chicago so I'm pumped about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.