Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new bike because the drive train on my old when isn't to safe - streched chain, deraillers bent beyond repair etc. I don't want to spend alot of money and was checking ebay, and noticed this for $650:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58081&item=3692452864

Quick summary of bike:

Tubing-FEATHER LITE EASTON SCANDIUM ALLOY
Fork-ROCK SHOX SID TEAM W/REMOTE CONTROL
Rear Shock- LA PIERRE Double Helix (Coil over Air)
Headset- Aheadset by Tange/
Front&Rear Hub-JBC PRO/LA PIERRE
Spokes/Rims-MAVIC 221/
Tires-MAXXIS 26x1.90/
Shifters-SHIMANO DEORE M510 RAPIDFIRE SHIFTER SETS 27SPD/
Front Derailleur-SRAM 9.0 ESP (Equal to Shimano XT)/
Rear Derailleur-SHIMANO DEORE M510 11-TOOTH 27SPD/
Chain-SHIMANO CN-HG73 Mtn (SH-26717)/
Bottom Bracket-SHIMANO DEORE BB-ES50 (Deore/English)/
Seat Post-Titec 7075 Al T6/
Saddle-SCOTT USA YZ/
Handlebar-TITEC FLAT TRACKER/
Handebar Stem-TITEC BIG AL/
Grips-SPALDING/
Brake/Brake Levers-KOSKI PCA PRO/AVID SINGLE DIGIT PRO
Pedals-WELLGO.

Okay few concerns, first can I trust the frame geometry from this company I've never heard of. Second except for the front derailleur the components look sort of weak, are they. Last is this a good price for what it is and will it meet my needs- I'm only 5' 7 and 130 lbs, and plan to do agressive cross country and some light downhill stuff - no monsterous 10 foot drops but maybe 3 or 4 ft. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i'm new..and dont know much..but from reading here past 2 weeks and looking at bike..i'm gonna say its crap

pos..but i dunno :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
i'm gonna say crap, i recommend buying from a good LBS, but thats just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for potentially saving me from getting it but j/w whats wrong with it so i know what to watch out for in other bikes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The rear shock. I've never heard of a La Pierre double helix, and that would kind of make me think its no good. If you're newer, maybe try to stay brand name and make sure you get a good quality frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I've done some more research and although this is pushing my price range a bit what do you guys think this bike seems good for the price. For 795+50 shipping I can get a 2001 used but not abused (good condition) yeti dh 9 w/ fox vanilla rc and RazorRock Hot Rod kit. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Why are you trying to thow money away?

aaron12345 said:
Okay I've done some more research and although this is pushing my price range a bit what do you guys think this bike seems good for the price. For 795+50 shipping I can get a 2001 used but not abused (good condition) yeti dh 9 w/ fox vanilla rc and RazorRock Hot Rod kit. Thanks!
Is it just me? If you do not know EXACTLY what you are looking at, go to a shop. The DH( uses a pull shock, and is a DH bike. THe first one was crap, but the second bike you are asking about is 180deg from the first one as far as use goes.

GO TO A SHOP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the reason I asked is I was surfing and noticed it and was very wowed. I know about yetis and even though its more then I probably will ever need for that price it looked great. He had a picture of the whole bike and listed all specs so I emailed him and found out for the frame only. I geuss that makes more sence. Sort of bursted by bubble though. First stop this morning is local bike shop.

·
College
1,198 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but that looks like an amazin buy. Some places sell the Rock Shox SiD on that bike for 500 dollars, and that's cheap already. And that's only 150 more, uhhhm, am i missing something here. That looks like a SOLID deal.

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
b12yan88 said:
I don't know about you guys, but that looks like an amazin buy. Some places sell the Rock Shox SiD on that bike for 500 dollars, and that's cheap already. And that's only 150 more, uhhhm, am i missing something here. That looks like a SOLID deal.
The kickstand is worth at least $20. Very solid. ;)

Actually if you check past auctions on ebay, the SID fork isn't worth nearly that much. I doubt you could part it out for what you pay for this bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts