Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting really tired of riding on my old Iron Horse Sonic XS bought from Sports Authority for $199 on sale. The derailleur broke for the 3rd time and I've decided to go with some new bikes. But I'm a more experienced rider than buyer, so I'll need some help.

The main use for my new bike would be for hilly roads. I like in Washington, Seattle area, we have alot of hills. I need a bike that would let me go up hills pretty well. I'll probably be riding it about 5 miles a day to and fro school on weekdays and alot more (15-25 miles) doing trails on weekends. I'm also planning to do the 200+ mile Seattle to Portland Classic so I need a bike that won't die on me in that length.

Price? Well anything under $500 would be greatly appreciated. I know that many bikes cost well over $1000 these days but I'm still in High School and my parents won't shell out $1000 for a bike that I would probably break somewhere within the next 3 years.

I have a few preliminary ideas but I'm not sure of their uphill capabilities.
2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki
2002 Gary Fisher Presidio

Any suggestions for other bikes or information on the 2 aforementioned bikes would be greatly appreciated!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
A new bike you take

to school will quickly look like this

use the old bike for school duty.The uglier it is the longer it will be with you and not some bike stealing jerk.

check out your quality LBS (hint: not a department store) and stick with brand names like Kona, Trek, Specialized, and more, you know who they are.

1st make sure the frame fits you (cockpit: your butt to hands on bars) It should feel like it was made for you alone.

2nd, get the best fork possible for the bike you choose.

Now you have a good framework to build on over time. Get help from the store(s), and Seattle has lots of bike clubs as well as a bike show coming up in a few months, with a major bike swap also. Get to know some folks that can help; they'd be glad to...once they were in your shoes.

Do your bike shopping homework, and you can score a sweet bike to keep you happy for years.

Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha very true. Although my Sonic is so crappy that no one wants to steal it. One person tried riding on it for a while (a bike stealing jerk) and I saw him fall and shatter his ankle from afar. So I walked up to him and rode my bike away. Maybe I shouldn't of washed my bike to make it look new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch. I took a look at it and I really like it. A friend offered to sell me his Gary fisher 2002 Persidio for $450 though. Which one do you think would be better? The persidio is a comfort bike, and he uses it to cruise up and down the huge hills of Seattle.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
the life of a bike is

(give or take) about 5 years; pass on the 2002 G-F bike, it's at the end of its life cycle, no pun intended. $450 will get you what you want or need in a new bike. Jim

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It was new for $720, if you guys get good discounts in Seattle ( we dont in Norcal ) it's possible he could have bought that new fr 500-600 dollars.

Comfort bikes also have lower resell value than mountain bikes.
Should be selling for around 200 dollars.. thats if someone even wants that.

Plus, it might not be the size you want.
Right now theres a 2000 Stumpjumper for $350 in my area and my size, but its fork and components are just way outdated ( i already am riding a used bike around anyways ) I will prob. buy new.

IMPORTANT:
The deal on the Alpines ends tomarrow, so better order today. I know I am might since there is absolutely no other deal that I like..After the deal expires, prices rise about $30.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.