Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am an average Rider, maybe closer to beginner, and have had a schwinn aluminum that was about 3 in too small for about a year. I had grown out of it and on the last camping trip I totaled it. I'm looking at several bikes on ebay, and would like to buy one soon so I can get riding agin. I want something that will really last, preferably disc brakes, definately front or full suspension. I ride anything from easy trailes to extreamley rocky. I know some of the major brands like cannondale, but most of those are priced higher. I have found bikes with the following brands:

Trek
GT
Gary Fisher
Raleigh
Specialized Rockhopper
Fuji
Giant
Cannondale
Lg Haro
K2
and Motobecane

(sorry if some of these included the model)

Should I stay away from any of these brands, and are any more reccomended than the others? Any help would be nice! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
In order to help you, it might be useful to tell us what your budget is.

How old are you know? Any chance you'll grow more?

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xioz said:
In order to help you, it might be useful to tell us what your budget is.

How old are you know? Any chance you'll grow more?

Regards,
I am 16, and will probablay grow a little more. Im about 5'11" and wont probably be over 6'1" when im done growing. My dads bike is a 22' frame and its just a little uncomftorable, so i think I want to go with a 21'. I'm trying to keep it under 400$ plus shipping, because I'll probably get it off of ebay. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
ausman said:
I am 16, and will probablay grow a little more. Im about 5'11" and wont probably be over 6'1" when im done growing. My dads bike is a 22' frame and its just a little uncomftorable, so i think I want to go with a 21'. I'm trying to keep it under 400$ plus shipping, because I'll probably get it off of ebay. Thanks!
The Specialized Rockhopper is indeed a great beginner's bike. I think it has a good frame to develop a variety of skills on. But I think a 21 inch frame is too large for you. You better look at 17 or 19 inch. Since you can't testride the bike when you buy it on Ebay, you might consider to test some bikes at your local bike store in order to find out what size you must be looking for.

The Specialized would be a good choice. Of your list; Trek, Giant, GT would also fulfill your needs. But I wouldn't look for the other bikes you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What is your inseam? I am 5'11'' and have about a 32-33 inch inseam. I ride a 17 or 18 inch frame, depending on the maker. I look for a standover no more than 30 inches, so I have some room. I have spent alot of time on my buddys 19" trek, and I find it a little crammed. All this to say go try them out before you buy, but I think the 21" is to big for you too.

Matt

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yep agree

17"-18" frame max for your height, as others pointed out, your inseam is key to determine the correct Top Tube length for correct fit.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the others. 21 is to big for you, try a 19 inch bike. I feel you would be happy with a specialized. They make a nice bike that should last for years. For $400.00 you might find a 2005 in your local bike shop on sale with disc brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Other online retailers...

Since you are looking to buy eBay I'd look at other online retailers as well. Check out the Hot Deals link just under the search box. You should be able to find Iron Horse, Ibex, GF, and others in the price range you are looking. Ibex even has a FS for $399.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the "Hot Deals" linkk? I looked under the search and it just has a java logo and some other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts