Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if i'm sitting here waiting for the end of the day to roll around so I can pick up my new bike. . . do you think it's bad luck or a jinx to start a thread about it?

I really can't wait, super stoked. Never done a custom build before, and if I did I was sure it was gonna be on a Knolly V-Tach of Delrillium. . . but I've joined the Tranny family and gone hard tail. When I saw their new HT after injuring my knee it was sort of love at first sight and it slowly progressed into me selling my season pass and ski gear as I have no possibility of riding this season, and throwing down for the Tranny.

Anyway, I just needed to talk about it as I can't see it, havn't even seen the frame, and have not ridden since a week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure the first thing I'll do before I ride it is snap some glory shots of it because Im sure she'll be scratched up and beaten in no time at all.

ok, that's it for now

Thanks

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
So if i'm sitting here waiting for the end of the day to roll around so I can pick up my new bike. . . do you think it's bad luck or a jinx to start a thread about it?

I really can't wait, super stoked. Never done a custom build before, and if I did I was sure it was gonna be on a Knolly V-Tach of Delrillium. . . but I've joined the Tranny family and gone hard tail. When I saw their new HT after injuring my knee it was sort of love at first sight and it slowly progressed into me selling my season pass and ski gear as I have no possibility of riding this season, and throwing down for the Tranny.

Anyway, I just needed to talk about it as I can't see it, havn't even seen the frame, and have not ridden since a week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure the first thing I'll do before I ride it is snap some glory shots of it because Im sure she'll be scratched up and beaten in no time at all.

ok, that's it for now

Thanks
First thing, take the bike out and ghost ride it so you get the first scratch out of the way.

Post pics when you get it.

·
Administrator
11,988 Posts
KavuRider said:
First thing, take the bike out and ghost ride it so you get the first scratch out of the way.

Post pics when you get it.
that is the truth.

I remember in 1996 I had just ordered a beautiful Independent Fabrications Deluxe and lotsa cool parts. I was assembling the bike and was spinning in the BB with the bike upside down on the Handlebar and the seat, when the wrench flew out of my hand landing on the bottom of the top tube and denting the tube.

I practically cried, fingers gently caressing the dent silently cursing my desire to built it up so fast. I now just get a bike and have someone push it over so that I am not responsible for the first injury to my precious.

G

·
You better call Fishy first thing and make sure he's on it for the day. I saw the frame last night hanging on the wall of the shop. Just saying...

Oh yeah, the ghost ride thing is mandatory, and since the frame is steel, you don't have much to worry about:D

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the s h i t 's paid for so I hope it's not hanging for sale. He told me he'd do it today Im pretty sure I've taken up all of his inbox. . . what's an easy way to coerce him?

Regarding the scratch, I really don't care at all, I prefer em. No nail polish or touch up paint for me, I figure the scratches match the rest of my body. . .all cut up and nasty.

If for some reason it's not complete I hope to pick it up and finish anything myself. I must ride tomorrow, if not tonight.

G

·
Truckee Trash said:
Well the s h i t 's paid for so I hope it's not hanging for sale. He told me he'd do it today Im pretty sure I've taken up all of his inbox. . . what's an easy way to coerce him?

Regarding the scratch, I really don't care at all, I prefer em. No nail polish or touch up paint for me, I figure the scratches match the rest of my body. . .all cut up and nasty.

If for some reason it's not complete I hope to pick it up and finish anything myself. I must ride tomorrow, if not tonight.
Oh, if he's planning on getting it built today, then he will. Just didn't know what their schedule was like. And I am pretty sure we all know the easiest way to coerce him:D

G

·
Truckee Trash said:
Everything but the brakes :( Seeing what they have in stock. . . I was going for 7's.
Just go for J5's. Less of a hassle, and honestly they work just the same. I actually like my J5's better than I liked my J7's.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe 6 Pack IPA? Not sure if that's a play at somethign or a beer. . . does it translate to PBR?

If your talkin IPA the Lagunitas has been filling my fridge and belly recently.

6. . .what are the diff sell points b/t the 5's and 7's? If they have the 5's and red blades im set.

G

·
Truckee Trash said:
Joe 6 Pack IPA? Not sure if that's a play at somethign or a beer. . . does it translate to PBR?

If your talkin IPA the Lagunitas has been filling my fridge and belly recently.

6. . .what are the diff sell points b/t the 5's and 7's? If they have the 5's and red blades im set.
J5's and J7's are exactly the same brake, the only difference is the J7's have the pad contact adjustment knob on the lever, which honestly gave me more trouble than it did good.

That knob tends to take all the shots when you crash and it can end up damaging the internals on the lever. The older one's had a plastic knob that would simply break off when you crashed, the newer J7's use an aluminum knob, which doesn't have any give.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
J5's and J7's are exactly the same brake, the only difference is the J7's have the pad contact adjustment knob on the lever, which honestly gave me more trouble than it did good.

That knob tends to take all the shots when you crash and it can end up damaging the internals on the lever. The older one's had a plastic knob that would simply break off when you crashed, the newer J7's use an aluminum knob, which doesn't have any give.
I 2nd this.

But then, I've come to realize that too many settings/adjustments just makes me neurotic.

G

·
KavuRider said:
I 2nd this.

But then, I've come to realize that too many settings/adjustments just makes me neurotic.
No, you're already neurotic. For you, dials, buttons and settings are just like giving a tweaker some more rock.:p

You should just set your settings and then superglue the knobs in place:D

G

·
Truckee Trash said:
Just talked to him. . . 5's with red Strailines. . .

Heading there at 6:30 ish today. . . mmmm mmmm
There ya go. J5's will be more than enough brake, especially on a AM hardtail.

Its funny, I have Code's on my big bike, J5's on my AM bike and BB7's on my hardtail and you would think that the power level would go Code>J5>BB7, but in reality its just the opposite. The Code's do have amazing modulation, but for shear stopping power, the BB7's own them all hands down.:D

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
No, you're already neurotic. For you, dials, buttons and settings are just like giving a tweaker some more rock.:p

You should just set your settings and then superglue the knobs in place:D
I just break all the knobs off and make them into a necklace to intimidate other riders.

That's why l really like my new bike, no settings to mess with. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.