Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone
new to the forum and need some help with bike a new bike

iv been riding bikes all my life, done alot of dirt jumping, bmx and mountain biking, and recently i have been doing quite a bit of crosscountry / light dh, freeriding and really enjoy it. atm im riding a fully custom norco faze 2, i bought it second hand already done up, running fox shocks all round, juicy 9 hydro brakes, bars crank rims ect all upgraded due to the guy who owned it before me being a rep for norco, annyway its just not cutting it annymore, im only 5ft12 and weight roughly 70kg but the bikes just not cutting it , i would like to upgrade to a more serious freeride type bike, but not a heavy dh bike with tripple clams ect, my bike really light, nimble but i want a bike with more travel , more stopping power and can handle larger drops, can annyone recommend a decent freeride / crosscounrty bike thats still light ? cheers

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had a Scott Voltage FR and really liked it. I could pedal it up and it wend down great. Wasn't as fun on knarlier DH stuff but it jumped really well. The adjustable rear travel and dropouts may suit you well.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
Try to find a lightly used Canfield Can-Diggle. Good bike for what you are talking about. I love mine. It's killer on the down-hill, awesome on the flat, and decent on the climbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
There are only a few bikes that truly fit your category. First, if you want a light, pedalable FR/DH bike, you're going to need to shell out the bucks. That is the Holy Grail of bikedom, and you will pay a lot for it. Second, if you want a strong bike, you've got to be ok with a bike that is not feather-light. There is no DH bike that weighs 25lbs that you can actually ride hard. But if you're ok with a bike that is in the 31-34lb range, then you can find a few options. Canfield Brothers has arguably the highest reviews with their bike called The One. It was just replaced in its line up though, so you'd better be ready to kill an owner to get your hands on one. I'm never going to sell mine off. It's an incredible bike. I can pedal it all day, and it can handle full-on Rampage runs. Other popular choices include the old version Knolly Delirium, the Intense Uzzi, and that's all I can think of at the moment. But those are hard to find, and not very cheap to build up right.

If you want a good in-between bike that might not be quite as DH-able, have a look at the Giant Reign X or the Santa Cruz Nomad. Not a full DH bike, but they can handle quite a bit, and they still pedal well.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
There are only a few bikes that truly fit your category. First, if you want a light, pedalable FR/DH bike, you're going to need to shell out the bucks. That is the Holy Grail of bikedom, and you will pay a lot for it. Second, if you want a strong bike, you've got to be ok with a bike that is not feather-light. There is no DH bike that weighs 25lbs that you can actually ride hard. But if you're ok with a bike that is in the 31-34lb range, then you can find a few options. Canfield Brothers has arguably the highest reviews with their bike called The One. It was just replaced in its line up though, so you'd better be ready to kill an owner to get your hands on one. I'm never going to sell mine off. It's an incredible bike. I can pedal it all day, and it can handle full-on Rampage runs. Other popular choices include the old version Knolly Delirium, the Intense Uzzi, and that's all I can think of at the moment. But those are hard to find, and not very cheap to build up right.

If you want a good in-between bike that might not be quite as DH-able, have a look at the Giant Reign X or the Santa Cruz Nomad. Not a full DH bike, but they can handle quite a bit, and they still pedal well.
sounds about right !!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
There's good deals on specialized Sx trails out there. Heavy though. I have a '13 kona process and can ride almost everything I take my DH bike on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts