Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a new bike for myself. I am looking to spend $300-$400 maybe $450. I am primarily riding with my wife, five year old, and one year old attached to my bike. I mainly ride on a paved trail.

1. Should I get a 700 hybrid bike or a 26" MTB? I don't plan on much trail riding but I would hate to not be able to ride on trails as my children grow.

2. I am looking at Motobecane pretty hard as it seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I am looking at the 400HT, 450HT, and 500HT. What is the big difference between them and for my type of riding does it matter? I am also looking at their Elite Trail series. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have also looked at Trek 820 and the Giant Revel but they seem expensive for what you are getting.

· Fat-tired Roadie
18,476 Posts
1) Hybrids suck.

2) I don't know. I'm not going to look it up for you. It probably doesn't matter anyway, unless the cheapest one has a 7-speed freewheel.

Do you have a bike now? For me, fit is really important. If you get a bike that's too big, you're going to end up putting a lot of weight on your hands, which can get quite painful.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Hybrids suck.

2) I don't know. I'm not going to look it up for you. It probably doesn't matter anyway, unless the cheapest one has a 7-speed freewheel.

Do you have a bike now? For me, fit is really important. If you get a bike that's too big, you're going to end up putting a lot of weight on your hands, which can get quite painful.
That is part of my problem, I do own a 21" 2003 Giant Sedona. I feel it is a bit big, I am 6' tall but it's still big. I would want to go with a 19.5" and I think I will be much happier.

The main difference seems to be the type of components. I am just not sure why or how a basic derailer is much different than a mid level one and how much it matters.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a better buy for $300-$400 range for a 26" MTB? Should I just stick with trek, Giant, etc and skip mail order bikes?

is is a specialized hard rock for $440 better than a Motobecane 500HT for $369? I don't know much about bikes but the basic specs seem to favor the Motobecane.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
I am looking to purchase a new bike for myself. I am looking to spend $300-$400 maybe $450. I am primarily riding with my wife, five year old, and one year old attached to my bike. I mainly ride on a paved trail.

1. Should I get a 700 hybrid bike or a 26" MTB? I don't plan on much trail riding but I would hate to not be able to ride on trails as my children grow.

2. I am looking at Motobecane pretty hard as it seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I am looking at the 400HT, 450HT, and 500HT. What is the big difference between them and for my type of riding does it matter? I am also looking at their Elite Trail series. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have also looked at Trek 820 and the Giant Revel but they seem expensive for what you are getting.
If I were you, I would try to get a higher quality used bike in a good condition for a lower price. Check out ebay or craigslist.

· Fat-tired Roadie
18,476 Posts
That is part of my problem, I do own a 21" 2003 Giant Sedona. I feel it is a bit big, I am 6' tall but it's still big. I would want to go with a 19.5" and I think I will be much happier.

The main difference seems to be the type of components. I am just not sure why or how a basic derailer is much different than a mid level one and how much it matters.
How much have you done with the fit on the Giant? Ever get someone to help you?

Setting up a bike to fit well isn't that complicated, but it does take some iteration and it makes a big difference. I like the article on fit on the Peter White Cycles page. (Google "Peter White fit.")

I'd be a little surprised if you can't make your Giant work. You can get stems from 60 mm to 140, which is a pretty huge range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.