Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a new bike for myself. I am looking to spend $300-$400 maybe $450. I am primarily riding with my wife, five year old, and one year old attached to my bike. I mainly ride on a paved trail.

1. Should I get a 700 hybrid bike or a 26" MTB? I don't plan on much trail riding but I would hate to not be able to ride on trails as my children grow.

2. I am looking at Motobecane pretty hard as it seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I am looking at the 400HT, 450HT, and 500HT. What is the big difference between them and for my type of riding does it matter? I am also looking at their Elite Trail series. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have also looked at Trek 820 and the Giant Revel but they seem expensive for what you are getting.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
1) Hybrids suck.

2) I don't know. I'm not going to look it up for you. It probably doesn't matter anyway, unless the cheapest one has a 7-speed freewheel.

Do you have a bike now? For me, fit is really important. If you get a bike that's too big, you're going to end up putting a lot of weight on your hands, which can get quite painful.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The mail order bikes aren't the deal that they claim,they put the name stuff were you see it ,then put cheap stuff were you don't. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Hybrids suck.

2) I don't know. I'm not going to look it up for you. It probably doesn't matter anyway, unless the cheapest one has a 7-speed freewheel.

Do you have a bike now? For me, fit is really important. If you get a bike that's too big, you're going to end up putting a lot of weight on your hands, which can get quite painful.
That is part of my problem, I do own a 21" 2003 Giant Sedona. I feel it is a bit big, I am 6' tall but it's still big. I would want to go with a 19.5" and I think I will be much happier.

The main difference seems to be the type of components. I am just not sure why or how a basic derailer is much different than a mid level one and how much it matters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a better buy for $300-$400 range for a 26" MTB? Should I just stick with trek, Giant, etc and skip mail order bikes?

is is a specialized hard rock for $440 better than a Motobecane 500HT for $369? I don't know much about bikes but the basic specs seem to favor the Motobecane.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I am looking to purchase a new bike for myself. I am looking to spend $300-$400 maybe $450. I am primarily riding with my wife, five year old, and one year old attached to my bike. I mainly ride on a paved trail.

1. Should I get a 700 hybrid bike or a 26" MTB? I don't plan on much trail riding but I would hate to not be able to ride on trails as my children grow.

2. I am looking at Motobecane pretty hard as it seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I am looking at the 400HT, 450HT, and 500HT. What is the big difference between them and for my type of riding does it matter? I am also looking at their Elite Trail series. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have also looked at Trek 820 and the Giant Revel but they seem expensive for what you are getting.
If I were you, I would try to get a higher quality used bike in a good condition for a lower price. Check out ebay or craigslist.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
That is part of my problem, I do own a 21" 2003 Giant Sedona. I feel it is a bit big, I am 6' tall but it's still big. I would want to go with a 19.5" and I think I will be much happier.

The main difference seems to be the type of components. I am just not sure why or how a basic derailer is much different than a mid level one and how much it matters.
How much have you done with the fit on the Giant? Ever get someone to help you?

Setting up a bike to fit well isn't that complicated, but it does take some iteration and it makes a big difference. I like the article on fit on the Peter White Cycles page. (Google "Peter White fit.")

I'd be a little surprised if you can't make your Giant work. You can get stems from 60 mm to 140, which is a pretty huge range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts