Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf (girlfriend, not gary fisher) is looking for a bike...she's currently rocking her mom's 1980-something schwinn road bike, but she wants a mtb style bike that is also easy to commute with, but can be taken on a trail if need be. the guy at the LBS showed her a specialized expedition...which she liked, don't get me wrong, but it's absolutely not what she's looking for. she looked around more, and settled on a HRXC. looking at the 2008 specialized catalog, it looks really similar to my GF advance. so would a HRXC be a good beginner bike for someone like her? she's already planning on upgrading the saddle, but are there any other immediate upgrades that need to be made?

thanks!

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hand/of/Midas said:
get the myka, its specifically designed for women. same bike as the HR XC, but for women.

and most of the womens paint jobs are really sweet.
she tried that one, but it was too small!

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aussiemegs said:
then get the FSR XC. same bike but longer geometry.
i'll have her take a look at that one
edit:
the FSR is about 4x what she's looking to spend
Hand/of/Midas said:
then go to a larger frame size........or is she 6'8"?

she's 5'11" or 6', depending who you talk to. but she tried the "recommended" size for her on the expedition and the myka, and she liked the HRXC better.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I put my GF on a SJ WSD hardtail

My bud put his wife on the same bike.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
she's 5'11" or 6', depending who you talk to. but she tried the "recommended" size for her on the expedition and the myka, and she liked the HRXC better.
did she try a 19"? ive seen some weird "recomendations".

my GF is 5'11" and she's going to ride a 19" inch soon.

the difference is the myka has a slightly shorter TT, womens seat, and slightly narrower bars.
since most women have long legs compared to guys, they shorten the TT to put them around the same reach we would be at, but if she has a long torso in relation to overall height then a standard frame would feel better.

not steering here away from the hrxc, just want to make sure she rode the right size and knows her options.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay, thanks everybody. when she tried the myka and hxrc, she was with her dad...not that her dad's a dumbass or anything, but i'd really rather have me at a bike shop than him. next time she goes out there, i'll either go with her, or give her some recommendations.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'll take a punt on that offer!

"A new bike for the girlfriend"?

Hmm, yea ok; seems like a fair swap; what does she look like and can she cook? :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.