Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’d like to purchase a new bike next year but with the short supply currently, test rides are not rally an option.
I’m 6’2 -230 - decent rider, mainly ride single track, flowey type trails.
Current ride is an XL giant reign aluminum frame. I do like the bike, but would like to get into a carbon frame.

LBS are all good. I’m not brand specific, but would like a quality bike.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi all,

I’d like to purchase a new bike next year but with the short supply currently, test rides are not rally an option.
I’m 6’2 -230 - decent rider, mainly ride single track, flowey type trails.
Current ride is an XL giant reign aluminum frame. I do like the bike, but would like to get into a carbon frame.

LBS are all good. I’m not brand specific, but would like a quality bike.

Thanks

Test rides are not really an option? Neither is availability in the shops. Everything I look at is not in stock and the shop doesn't know when they'll get anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s my point. Without the ability to test ride and limited selection, I don’t want to order a bike blind and then have regrets.

Looking for some input from people who have owned/ ridden the Reign and made a change to another brand.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Funny thing. Test rode a bike, bought it, and eventually hated it.

Ordered a replacement in the blind and love it.

I suspect if one gets the components, the frame material etc., ordering in the blind will not only get one in the ball park but in the infield of the ball park. The bike I hated taught me that.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Funny thing. Test rode a bike, bought it, and eventually hated it.

Ordered a replacement in the blind and love it.

I suspect if one gets the components, the frame material etc., ordering in the blind will not only get one in the ball park but in the infield of the ball park. The bike I hated taught me that.
Last 3 bikes I have bought were blind buys. Every one has been exceptional. But I know what I want. This approach is not for the faint of heart, or someone who is unsure of what they want.

IMHO, the option chosen by the OP - asking for others’ opinions for a blind buy when he apparently doesn’t know what he wants - is THE worst option. Sure, it’s fun and part of the purchase decision to come on here and solicit opinions/advice, but if you don’t know what you want, test riding should be mandatory. If no bikes are available, then there is material risk of things not working out as well as hoped.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
My last buy was blind... sort of.

I rode some Mojo's years ago. Always had my eye on an HD. I knew what I was lookng for as well. OP, If you are willing to do some driving, there are "a few" bikes out there to ride. Hopefully this can help guide you. Ibis, I have no regrets. If your budget is $4,500k+ you can get a bike now. If less, you might have to wait and shop a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of good points here. I’ve done a lot of reading, watching videos, etc and I’m wanting a trail/ enduro type of bike. The trails I ride are flowey, with some punchy climbs. I find the Reign is a very capable bike but I’d like something more “flickable” I guess.
I’m looking at the Stumpjumper or Bronson, but open to ideas.
Budget is $4500+

·
Registered
611 Posts
A lot of good points here. I’ve done a lot of reading, watching videos, etc and I’m wanting a trail/ enduro type of bike. The trails I ride are flowey, with some punchy climbs. I find the Reign is a very capable bike but I’d like something more “flickable” I guess.
Budget is $4500+

I’m you’re size and weight and also ride a Giant. Do you feel that the Giant is a bit small or is the sizing right on for you? I ride technical and flowey XC and I liked the Scott Spark a lot. Giant Trance X or Advance 29 would be good choices too if you like the fit of Giants.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Budget is $4500+

I bought my daughter a 2021 SJ Comp with SLX front to back, and the thing is incredible. I want one for myself really bad. Rock solid build. No BS. Awesome climber and great geo for steep techy terrain. I don’t have anything but good to say about it. Blind sizing though might be challenging with the whole S1 to S5 thing, or whatever it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m you’re size and weight and also ride a Giant. Do you feel that the Giant is a bit small or is the sizing right on for you? I ride technical and flowey XC and I liked the Scott Spark a lot. Giant Trance X or Advance 29 would be good choices too if you like the fit of Giants.
I find that that the XL fits me pretty well. I’ve played around with the bars and head stock length and found a combination that works.
My riding partner has a Trance advanced and I feel the cockpit is tight and it doesn’t climb as well as my Reign.
Giant makes a decent bike, just wanting to try something different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.