Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking into getting my girlfriend a new bike. It will be her first full suspension bike and I was wondering what people think of the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII Expert 2006. The price is exceptional. The only problem is that the bike would have to be purchased without trying it. Her present bike is a 14" Cannondale hardtail and the IH would be a 15".
Has anyone riding the MKIII and what were your thoughts on it.
Thank you for all your help.
Eric

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
i don't have much experience with IH...but i would worry about buying a bike without trying it! fit is just way too important. :)

just my two cents! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really recommend getting her a bike that she can try out....each brand is so different, as is each persons body. If you get the bike, and it doesn't fit right, that will take all the fun out of it. Your LBS should be having some decent sales getting rid of last years models....to me it would be worth spending a little more to know that I have the bike that fits. Think of all the hours spent on a bike......get something you both know she will love. By the way, good for you two-biking with your partner is really great for the relationship!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorta what I thought!

I kinda figured it would be a bad idea but a deal is hard to pass up!
As for the biking together, she is the one who got me back into it when she decided to go and get a bike on her own cause she thought the sport looked fun!
Thank you for your reply.
Eric

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
rugbyred said:
I kinda figured it would be a bad idea but a deal is hard to pass up!
As for the biking together, she is the one who got me back into it when she decided to go and get a bike on her own cause she thought the sport looked fun!
Thank you for your reply.
Eric
any chance she can test ride one in your area? maybe you should try the manufacturer's forum...maybe someone has one that she can try...

i was in the same shoes when i bought my current bike. and i hunted down and i test rode someone's bike that was a large...i thought i needed a medium...but i figured i would at least eliminate the possibility of needing a large...and guess what? turns out i needed the large after all...:D that test ride was priceless!

and if it doesn't work out with the IH, think of it this way...a bike that fits well is worth the extra money...because it's just a pleasure to ride! :thumbsup::) and i'm speaking from experience...since my previous bike was not a good fit for me!

·
Elsievo
57 Posts
Have you got extra stems, bars, seats, grips. Sometimes with a change in the "touch points" fit can be improved on a bike that is close but not able to be tested. Still being able to test ride the bike is better.
Marc
Calumet MI

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

Thank you.
I guess the best idea is to go and try one. She will have to wait until spring as it is freezing here (minus -17C) and there is nowhere to try a bike with all the snow.
Thank you once again for your help,
Eric

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
rugbyred said:
Thank you.
I guess the best idea is to go and try one. She will have to wait until spring as it is freezing here (minus -17C) and there is nowhere to try a bike with all the snow.
Thank you once again for your help,
Eric
good luck...let us know how it works out for ya...and we love to see pics of chicks on bikes...especially brand new ones! :D

·
less is more
823 Posts
Order Smaller

If she can't try it out, order a size smaller rather than larger. Bikes too large most often cause problems. Check the TT length of the bikes, not the ST, to find the right fit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think she needs a small!

I am pretty sure she would need a small but Iron Horse doesn't make a x-small. Really think the purchase will hav to wait until the spring.
Thank you,
Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.