Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a Cannondale Jekyll 1000 for about 2 years now and while I love the bike, I want some new tech, mainly in the rear shock department. I'd like an all mountain full suspension bike and if I find one would sell the Jekyll to fund it. What should I be looking at in the 1000-1200 range? I don't mind buying used and am not a weight weenie. I want a set up that can take advantage of new shocks, has disc brakes and would like a new frame design.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am about the same as you and ride a 06 Jamis XAM 01- Love it! I beat the pi$$ out of it and it keeps going.
You may be able to find on on EBAY or look around at your LBS

·
Registered
129 Posts
I second Clyde. I've pwned a Jamis Dakar XC, and now an XAM 1. I love the bike! So far it has taken evrything i've throw at it with no trouble at all. While the 08's are improved over the 07's ( and pricier..about $2100-2200) i've seen 06-07's going for alot cheaper. Jenson usually has pretty good prices on Jamis too.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I'm 6'5" and was as high as 299.9 :D in June 2007 (currently in the 265 to 270 range. I went from a Cannondale Super V to a (21") 2005 Giant Reign with a Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air.

I've never had to put more than 200psi in the Manitou air shock on the Reign. To say I prefer the ride of the Reign over the Super V would be a huge understatement.

You don't state your riding style or preferred terrain type, so I don't know if a 6" travel bike would be overkill, but they also have a Trance X with 5" travel.

You can find used specimens of the Giant Maestro type FS bikes (Reign, Trance & Anthem) for pretty reasonable prices if you are resourceful.

Me and my 'trailbike':

My advice is to start a list of bikes you're interseted in and ride as many of them as possible before getting the one that feels best to you. There are a lot of bikes that work very well for clydes. At 230lbs, you don't really have to be super concerned so long as you don't go all 'weight weenie' on your component choices. At your budget figure, that's not much of a possibility anyways (just sayin').

At $1,000 to $1,200, I would shop for pre-owned, but loved bikes or very deeply discounted (new) old stock to get the most for your money because a $1,000 to $1,200 new FS bike is going to need upgrades to survive frequent use and perform decently.

JMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.