Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started checking out a new bike for my to be 10 year old. She's coming from a steel Trek little kids bike (lever brakes) that she has pounded well!!

Looking to get her on trail with a front shock. She liked Trek Precaliber 24 but that was online shopping. I showed her (my choice anyway) was a Liv STP 24 but she hated the only color. mint green. Can't blame her for that one.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
365 Posts
My daughter is 10.5 now and almost sized out of her 24+ bike we got for her a few years back. Depending on her size and growth rate I would see if she can get on a small or maybe extra small adult bike. The small at least will last much longer than a 24 inch bike as she grows.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My daughter is 10.5 now and almost sized out of her 24+ bike we got for her a few years back. Depending on her size and growth rate I would see if she can get on a small or maybe extra small adult bike. The small at least will last much longer than a 24 inch bike as she grows.

That is an excellent point. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going through this with my 9 year old daughter now. She's been riding the roscoe 24+ but ready for a bigger bike. Take a look at the trek marlin 5 or 6 in x small., they even make a roscoe in xsmall if you want something bigger.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going through this with my 9 year old daughter now. She's been riding the roscoe 24+ but ready for a bigger bike. Take a look at the trek marlin 5 or 6 in x small., they even make a roscoe in xsmall if you want something bigger.
I bought Marlin 7's for my two sons 2 years back. The Marlin's have held up well to some heavy abuse.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My almost 9yr old has a Cleary Meerkat that she likes a lot. Her’s doesn’t have a suspension fork (yet), but that’s easy enough...Cleary might even be able to upgrade.

A BUNCH more $$$$, but Trailcraft makes some NICE bikes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Kona has some really cool kids bikes. https://konaworld.com/platform_kids.cfm
I looked at the Konas when we were shopping for a 24" a few months back. For $750 I would expect better gearing, shorter cranks and an air fork. Swapping those out will quickly put you well over $1k all in. For that kind of money, I think there are better options to consider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For a 10 year old I would look at Woom OFF Air 6 AND they are available to pre-order for December delivery: https://us.woombikes.com/products/offair6

... or you can splurge and get a Trailcraft Timber 26 :thumbsup:
I think the Woom 6 is only available if you put your name on their list months ago. I didn't realize that their "notify me when available" was a wait list, and have been stalking their website for awhile only to realize I wasn't on the list to be notified when available.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the Woom 6 is only available if you put your name on their list months ago. I didn't realize that their "notify me when available" was a wait list, and have been stalking their website for awhile only to realize I wasn't on the list to be notified when available.
Actually it was available for preorder until few days ago, now is back on "Notify Me".

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
How tall is she? My 10yr old daughter is riding a TrailCraft Maxwell. She loves it, we got it for her in the spring at the start of all this Covid nonsense. She's 10 now and it still fits well. Meanwhile my 11yr old daughter rides an XS Trek Fuel EX; it fits her well, but she's a full head taller than her little sister.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
My daughter is 10 years old and has been riding a Trailcraft Pineridge 24 for the past 2 years. She's currently about 56.5" and about to size out of the 24. I ordered her a Trailcraft Maxwell 26 with a dropper post for Xmas. Depending on her height, your daughter may be ready to move to a 26" bike. If you haven't checked out Trailcraft, definitely give Brett a call.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lot of great answers all I can add is that my parents got me a 24" 10 speed style bike when I was 10 or 12 back in the day and I outgrew it ferociously, was pretty much the best bike I had until much, much later in life so try to size up, I really regretted seeing that bike sit and just being too small to ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my daughter who is 9 the Liv 25 stp in Mint, but we returned it after finding it to be too heavy (28.5 lb) and swapped it for a Scott contessa 24 disc, it’s the same as a Scott scale but with girl friendly paint job. It also didn’t make sense to pay more for component I’ll upgrade (spring coil fork). The contessa was $429 ($100 cheaper than tha Liv) weighed in at 24.5 lb— albeit with a hard front suspension. I would have preferred to get a better bike with better components like Norco, or Orbea but alas not much available before Xmas for sub $1000 budget. Almost went with the Meerkat but didn’t like the internal hub shifter as any upgrade would mean a new wheel set also. Since I’ve newly enjoyed working on bikes I figured I would get something with decent bones and upgrade. I’ve upgraded the casette and derailer to an SRAM X-9 9 speed I had lying around, and I’ll plan to upgrade the Bottom bracket and crankset soon, and I have an RST F1RSt 24 air fork on order. One thing about the contessa is the seat post is 28.6 mm which doesn’t leave a lot of options for upgrades. I doubt my daughter will be ready for a dropper post before she graduates to a 26, so not a huge issue. The Liv has a more standard 27.2 mm post and predrilled hole for an internally routed dropper.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Weight is more important for a kids bike than it is for an adult bike. A 50 lb kid will have a hard time lugging around a bike that's 60% of his / her weight. I think the Trailcraft Pineridge 24 runs about 20-21 lbs and the Timber 26 runs about 21-22 lbs. Also, when setting a budget, consider resale value. My daughter's Pineridge 24 cost about $1500 2 years ago and recently sold for $1000 when she upgraded to a Maxwell 26.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Guardian Ethos 24 is the best bike for a 7-10-year-old girl. The Guardian's sure stop braking system makes breaking safer, easier, and a ton of fun.
This depends entirely on the child, but in general, I would wholeheartedly disagree.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts