Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

This past Sunday evening I picked up the '05 Kikapu Deluxe I ordered about a month ago. Since it has rained every day since then here in Burlington, VT (And the fact that it is mud season and trails are closed) it has sat in my house waiting patiently to be ridden (Save for a couple of in-yard suspension tuning jaunts). Today was a beautiful day and after doing the 8-5 behind a computer thing I darted home to do a quick once over and take her on her maiden voyage. To my dismay there is a dent about 3/4 of an inch wide and the full height of the downtube with what appear to be stress cracks in the paint, possibly more. Paint is flat red so it doesn't shine which makes it difficult to notice. I know there is no way I could have done this. (Exactly what kind of force does it take to put a good sized dent in a 7005 aluminum frame) Bike was transported 2 hours home in the back of my honda element with plenty of room. My question, how do I approach the dealer, what would most likely be the outcome of this from a dealer standpoint. There is no question that the bike has not been ridden yet, not a spec of dirt on it. It's very frustrating since I waited about a month for the bike, now I will most likely have to drive another 4 hours round trip (Twice) (plus an $18 round trip ferry ticket across lake champlain each time I go) to drop off and pick up the bike.

I guess I'm just frustrated and a little worried right now and would appreciate some rational thinking and opinions.

Thanks,

Funk
 

Attachments

·
nobody
Joined
·
490 Posts
Funktional said:
Hey guys and gals,

This past Sunday evening I picked up the '05 Kikapu Deluxe I ordered about a month ago. Since it has rained every day since then here in Burlington, VT (And the fact that it is mud season and trails are closed) it has sat in my house waiting patiently to be ridden (Save for a couple of in-yard suspension tuning jaunts). Today was a beautiful day and after doing the 8-5 behind a computer thing I darted home to do a quick once over and take her on her maiden voyage. To my dismay there is a dent about 3/4 of an inch wide and the full height of the downtube with what appear to be stress cracks in the paint, possibly more. Paint is flat red so it doesn't shine which makes it difficult to notice. I know there is no way I could have done this. (Exactly what kind of force does it take to put a good sized dent in a 7005 aluminum frame) Bike was transported 2 hours home in the back of my honda element with plenty of room. My question, how do I approach the dealer, what would most likely be the outcome of this from a dealer standpoint. There is no question that the bike has not been ridden yet, not a spec of dirt on it. It's very frustrating since I waited about a month for the bike, now I will most likely have to drive another 4 hours round trip (Twice) (plus an $18 round trip ferry ticket across lake champlain each time I go) to drop off and pick up the bike.

I guess I'm just frustrated and a little worried right now and would appreciate some rational thinking and opinions.

Thanks,

Funk
I can't believe that whoever built that up didn't see that dent! From your photo it's fairly obvious. I suppose it's possible it happened in shipping. If it really came to you like that I can't see how the shop could have missed it and let you walk out with it like that

The bike looks new and unridden to me. Less your time and trouble to get it back to the shop, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems getting a replacement.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
If you explain it as straightforward as you do here I can't see why they wouldn't deal with it...and if they don't I'd contact Kona. Too bad you're so far away, that sounds like one healthy trip over to the shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
art_vandelay said:
I can't believe that whoever built that up didn't see that dent! From your photo it's fairly obvious. I suppose it's possible it happened in shipping. If it really came to you like that I can't see how the shop could have missed it and let you walk out with it like that

The bike looks new and unridden to me. Less your time and trouble to get it back to the shop, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems getting a replacement.
Art,

It is actually pretty difficult to see, like I said due to the flat red paint. The picture I took was very evident because I was using a high megapixel camera and was able to zoom in on the photo while still retaining good quality. Here is another picture I took this morning before I left for work. From this photo it is not nearly as evident but alas it is there.
 

Attachments

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Most likely the dealer will try to blame it on you. Maybe not, but expect the worst.
But judging from this pic:

There's no evidence of a crash. That's a considerable size dent. There should be all sorts of scratches in the paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
i would assume that the frame builder would have noticed it as the decals were getting laid down.. . . . which to me implies that its a post frame build dent. . . . possibly in shipping or assembly.

Its very clear the bike hasn't turned a wheel ( stickers are still on the pedal ). So i think you havea strong case of saying this isn't your fault ( and that there are no impact abrasions on the dent itself - going by your picture. )
 

·
nobody
Joined
·
490 Posts
True

Funktional said:
Art,

It is actually pretty difficult to see, like I said due to the flat red paint. The picture I took was very evident because I was using a high megapixel camera and was able to zoom in on the photo while still retaining good quality. Here is another picture I took this morning before I left for work. From this photo it is not nearly as evident but alas it is there.
it is harder to see in this one. For some reason I thought it was on the non drive side (maybe due the the angle of the first pic). Like tlg said, there aren't any impact abrasions. I've dented frames riding (actually by crashing :p ) and each of those dents had some kind of impact marks as evidence of a crash. I just don't see that even in the close up. I'm no expert but I wonder if it happened pre-paint? It seem weird for the paint to not be messed up.

I hope they don't give you a hard time. Like others have suggested you might want to call them first and explain. Try to keep a cool head about it and be diplomatic. If I was in your shoes I know that would be hard for me to do and would cause me serious stress.

You could contact Kona but since I don't know anything about their customer service (good or bad) I imagine they'd take the same road as most manufacturers and tell you to work through the dealer first anyway.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.
 

·
wawe member
Joined
·
892 Posts
I'm test riding a bike right now that has an almost identical dent on the downtube. I got it straight from a rep and was the first one to take it out of the box the manufacture put it in. To me, it's pretty obvious the frame was "protected" by something when the damage was done, like by cheap cardboard that allowed the dent but protected the paint. Now I'm no bike shop dude and I've seen this happen so I would hope your shop has too and trys to remedy the situation.

Sucks you have to go to NY to get your bike, I take it the "Ski and Sport" or whatever doesn't carry Kona?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,

The Ski Rack here in town does not carry Kona, but another shop "Earl's" does. The reason I went to the shop in NY was because I work for a ski company and one of our rep's husbands owns the bike shop there so I was trying to support their business since "Earl's" gets all my business for accessories and other items.

I did talk to someone at the bike shop in NY this morning and he said he would contact Kona. He was very nice and attentive to my problem and didn't jump down my throat or refuse to be accountable like I imagine some dealers out there would. I also sent him a picture of the dent in the frame. He said they would probably consider whether it is a structural thing (Which it's probably not) and offer a discount or possibly a new frame. Just kind of bums me out I guess especially since today is the 2nd beautiful day in a row that I can't ride, and I also will not be able to enter the upcoming local race that I wanted to. I am not interested in a discount on the bike. I owned a Gary Fisher since it was new in 1996 and throughout the thousands of miles I put on that bike I never managed to put a dent in the frame and only gave it a few minor scratches. I like to take care of the things I own. It also stinks that I have to shell out another 36 bucks plus gas money and time to get over to NY.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their dent-free bikes and the nice weather.......
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Funktional said:
He said they would probably consider whether it is a structural thing (Which it's probably not) and offer a discount or possibly a new frame.
Glad to hear they're being cooperative. I wouldn't want a discount either, especially on a brand new frame never used. Really push for a new frame/bike. The only way I'd accept the discount is if it was REALLY discounted and they gave me a lifetime guarantee that the frame would never break at the dent.
 

·
nobody
Joined
·
490 Posts
Funktional said:
He said they would probably consider whether it is a structural thing (Which it's probably not) and offer a discount or possibly a new frame. J
Glad to hear they're going to take care of you. On a new bike I wouldn't want a discount for a dented frame. I'd take a cosmetic blem maybe (if the paint was a bit messed up or something) but not something like this. I'd go for the new frame.
 

·
wawe member
Joined
·
892 Posts
The Ski Rack, that's it!

Sounds like they should take care of you, hope you get a new frame because the paint probably won't last 9 years if it's already cracked.

I'm in SoCal, so we take our dent-free bikes and nice weather for granted. :D
 

·
Penis Goat!
Joined
·
806 Posts
art_vandelay said:
I'd go for the new frame.
Of course! What would you do if you purchased a new car, and when you went to get it, there was a big dent in the sheetmetal? You wouldn't say, "Oh, it's not structural, it'll be ok," would you? No, you'd leave the car there and make them either fix it (which is impossible in this case) or give you a new body panel.

In this case it might be structural, in addition to just looking crappy. Plus, if you decide to sell the bike, there's a good chance you'll lose money because of it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top