Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was counting on some money in a football pool to buy a new bike (08 Parker) through Jensen USA for $800 but unfortunately I lost last week with 2 weeks to go!! Since I cannot afford to buy the $800 bike I was wondering if I bought a bike frame for $3-400. My buddy is giving me his GF Advance after the first of the year. First we are going to Santos on Ocala, FL on the 2nd on January for the Trek and Gary Fisher demo rides. He wants to see which one he wants and then give me his once he orders it.

I was wondering if it was worth it to buy a full suspension frame and put the components from his bike on the new frame with the exception of a new front fork because I want hydraulic brakes on it.

I know I am being cheap here but times are tough for people right now !!

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
i am confused a bit about your post... does your bud's bike already have hydro brakes?
you can get a decent FS frame from Bob's Bicycles (Boise, ID) in your price range, KHS. A new fork, even a decent one, will run about $200-300. Just make sure that all of the take-off parts will fit the frame though.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Yeah, the GF has rim brakes unless it was upgraded.

Depending on the year the GF is, most components should transfer. Here is a consideration for the hydro upgrade: if the GF has v-brakes, it likely does not have disc brake hubs which means you will have to build some wheels or buy ready-to-use. By the time you buy the frame, the hydros, the fork and the disc wheel set, you will likely have spent as much or more than if you had bought the Parker ready-to-ride. Great if you want to build it yourself and have that experience.

If you want to stay on the cheap, use the GF v-brakes and wheel set, transfer the fork from the GF providing it's a 1 1/8th steer tube and use everything you can from the GF. Then upgrade various pieces later as the budget allows. Besides the frame, there may be only a handful of parts you may need to buy for the transfer build--headset, brake pads, seat post, bb parts and such.

Dave

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
JPark said:
Even though the bike has V brakes, the fork likely has disk tabs.
Perhaps but the disc wheel set and hydros still have to be purchased. Again, he is concerned about getting a good bike going on the cheap. If he is going to spend $$ for all those parts, he might as well step up to the Parker or comparably priced bike. Trust me, I love my hydros and wouldn't ride the way I ride without them but he can get by on the Vs for the near term and modify as he has the funds. Just some thoughts.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
Malibu412 said:
Perhaps but the disc wheel set and hydros still have to be purchased. Again, he is concerned about getting a good bike going on the cheap. If he is going to spend $$ for all those parts, he might as well step up to the Parker or comparably priced bike. Trust me, I love my hydros and wouldn't ride the way I ride without them but he can get by on the Vs for the near term and modify as he has the funds. Just some thoughts.
I agree 100%, nothing wrong with V's IMO. My post was in response to the OP's statement that he would need to get a fork so that he could go with hydro's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Be careful about getting into the stripping of one bike for parts on another. I began a similar project and have had OneHell of a time out of it. A seatpost, for example, may not cross-over. There goes $20, at the cheapest. Oh and don't forget the seatpost collar. Oh you want a quick release?? Well fork over another $10. etc....
But your in a bit of luck. If you hurry you can catch the end of the year sales from Nasbar and Pricepoint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know what happens at the first of the year. I'm new to all this. But I have learned more in a short period of time. Baptism by Fire. I broke my old bike and bought a frame to switch all my parts onto and ran into roadblock after roadblosck. I thought I would be able to do it for about $50-100. Well I kissed that good-bye long ago. And I still haven't gotten it where I can ride it yet.
I am in no way telling you not to buy your frame, or to get your friends bike for parts. I just want you to be aware of what you may get into. If he is not using the given bike now see if he wouldn't mind you taking it apart to see what will fit and what won't. You may be suprised to find how many things will not work.
As for the V-brakes.... hey, as long as they keep you out of the briar patch, whats the problem???

·
Registered
94 Posts
mnigro said:
if the Gf is rideable as-is, just ride it. you'll most likely be dumping $ into a sinking ship. save up and buy a good bike as a platform to upgrade over time.
There's nothing wrong with throwing a few clams at an older bike here and there. As long as he keeps his wits about him. Some nicer tires always make a huge improvement. What about a new seat or front fork??? As long as he stays on the $ side of things he can make an OK bike into a Better bike.
I think "sinking ship" is a little harsh.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Drakken, point being is that he saiid he doesn't have $800 to dump into a new bike. he also said that...
"I know I am being cheap here but times are tough for people right now !!"
...so I was trying to steer him in the right direction. Lots of people think that they need to upgrade their bikes in order to ride them. Also, if his buddy is GIVING his bike to him, must not be worth that much but I am guessing here.
Last, all the OP's comments about wanting hydro's and a FS frame, my suggestions was on point in my opinion. I told him to ride the bike as is, if possible, and save up for that FS he wants. Good advice as far as I see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I just ment if the pedals needed an upgrade, do so. And if he preferred clipless, buy them. New saddle, handlebar grips,or maybe tires. little things like that. I was not talking about a new crankset or handlebar and stem.:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.