Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just picked up my new Fuel EX8... been riding a 1995 RockHopper since I bought it new back in the day (almost every part has been replaced). Only seat time has been around the yard and neighborhood so no reviews yet, but here are some pictures for you!

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congratulations what a sweet looking ride!

Make sure you post up your thoughts on the ride once you have some decent trail time on it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Picked up the same bike just before Christmas but due to the winter season here, I haven't gotten out on local trails yet. However, a friend and I just finished a five day trip to Palm Springs where I broke it in on foreign soil.

Bike is pretty well stock but I did change out the rotors for XT Ice-techs, XT cassette, Chromag Cutlass carbon bar, and XT cranks (still a triple set up). I suspect the weight is still right around the 30 pound mark in an XL size.

I am coming off of riding a Remedy 7 over the past four years. I am not sure I can compare the two that much because the trails were much different than what we have at home but I do have a few observations. The bike is definitely harder to get in the air off of small hits. I also notice that there is less travel than the Remedy but that shouldn't be a surprise. Rolling along seems a bit better and it seems to hold momentum better or even speed up quicker on slight declines compared to my buddy on his Giant Anthem 29er. I noticed that I'd be catching up to him coasting down a hill while he was pedaling a bit so that's cool. It's also a bit tougher getting around some of the tight switchbacks on the trails we rode but I also believe these were tighter switchbacks than what I've managed with the Remedy.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of it from the trip. Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steamer,

Thanks for your insight ! It will be a month or so before the trails up here in Massachusetts are able to be ridden (without damaging them) so Im excited. The only thing I feel like I might not like on the bike (before my first real ride on it) is the width and flatness of the stock bars. Im not used to 720mm bars, might shorten them up and trap something with 5* up to them.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Steamer,

Thanks for your insight ! It will be a month or so before the trails up here in Massachusetts are able to be ridden (without damaging them) so Im excited. The only thing I feel like I might not like on the bike (before my first real ride on it) is the width and flatness of the stock bars. Im not used to 720mm bars, might shorten them up and trap something with 5* up to them.
See if you get used to the bars. I myself actually like the width but would actually go wider if my trails allowed. I also went from the stock 80mm stem to 60mm and like the feel better. I have also upgraded the wheels and went with a 2x crank. If you have not done so pick up the rim strips and valves to go tubeless. You will be able to use the stock tires. Keep the tubes for spare parts. This is a cheap and worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Agree with Stygz. Try the bars to begin with and see if you can get by. Our trails here tend to have some pretty narrow spots as well but I will try my best to stay with what I have. I used to ride with Haven bars (711mm) and the Chromags are wider (730mm), I believe but I'll give them a shot for as long as possible.

Stem may be the next thing to upgrade and eventually wheels but I'll try to beat the heck out of the stock ones for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.