Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well almost new. Mike at North of the Border cycles got me the frame and brakes and I supplied the rest from a few older bikes. I can't tell you how much he charged me but he saved me over $500 bucks. If you want a good deal on anything go to Mike. He may not have what you need in stock but he can get anything quick and he can do it cheaper. The build is perfect. All the cables are the perfect length so they don't rub the frame. Front and rear shocks were dialed in to my weight and the New Avid elixer CR's feel like they will stop a train. Shifts are spot on perfect. Mikes attention to detail leaves all other mechanics in the dust. If you want personal attention and the best service in town go see him.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ditto to all Sandmangts said. Mike put together my ride and I love it. All my buddies take their bikes to him now. There have been times when I go in there looking to spend money and he will ask, "Why?" He is straight forward with you and he is definitely a mechanic who puts others to shame. By the way, the Elixir CRs are awesome! They helped all 245lbs of me line up perfectly for all the downhill berms and hits at Lake Morena this morning.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Go North of the Border - Ells is offering holiday rebates as well

Cannot beat Mike's prices and service.

Thanks for the info on the Avid Elixers.....look like nice brakes and Mike looks like he is turning over a lot of sets out of his shop....cool.

What wheelset/hubs did you choose on your Epiphany build? Old or new?

I dislike WTB saddles however.....heavy, rails always break, and went thru too many before I found that other saddles are lighter and more comfy.

Congrats on the new bike.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rathbone said:
Cannot beat Mike's prices and service.

Thanks for the info on the Avid Elixers.....look like nice brakes and Mike looks like he is turning over a lot of sets out of his shop....cool.

What wheelset/hubs did you choose on your Epiphany build? Old or new?

I dislike WTB saddles however.....heavy, rails always break, and went thru too many before I found that other saddles are lighter and more comfy.

Congrats on the new bike.
The wheels are ZTR 355's on King hubs built by Dave Thomas at Speeddreams.com. They are about 4 years old but they are still running like new. Mike serviced the rear hub and they are still perfectly true, very stiff and light and expensive.
Mike built me a set of 29er wheels, ZTR 355's on Dt-240's for much less and they are every bit as good as far as build quality goes. Stiffness is a problem for 29 inch wheels but he managed to build them with no noticeable flex. Daves wheels are really nice but Mike can do them just as good for less and he is local.

I never had any trouble with the saddle. I have only used the WTB pure-v. I run it on 3 bikes because my rear is wide. I did pop one off the rails in a crash once.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the wheel info

Dud you put your 29er wheels on a Vassago?

I am torn. 29er or 5-6 inch travel bike. At Elfin midweek loved climbing with the Truth, but on Equine downhill could not help but wonder how a 5-6 inch would fair. And, in PQ canyon commuting cannot help but wonder how a 29er FS would not add 1 mph to my commute ride with the bigger wheels. 1 mph is big because on an hour commute ride that is by definition 1 whole friggin mile. Imagine being 1 whole mile ahead.

Again, the info on the Elixers is grreat and confidence inspriring should I go to Micheal and request them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ifouiripilay said:
Mike is very cool and easy to deal w/. He's built me 3 wheels now Hadleys on 823 and they haven't needed to come back for adjustments yet. Since I moved, I drive 40min to go to him to do things I couldn't do.
did he build the highline for you? when are we going to ride again? call me up foo!

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rathbone said:
Dud you put your 29er wheels on a Vassago?

I am torn. 29er or 5-6 inch travel bike. At Elfin midweek loved climbing with the Truth, but on Equine downhill could not help but wonder how a 5-6 inch would fair. And, in PQ canyon commuting cannot help but wonder how a 29er FS would not add 1 mph to my commute ride with the bigger wheels. 1 mph is big because on an hour commute ride that is by definition 1 whole friggin mile. Imagine being 1 whole mile ahead.

Again, the info on the Elixers is grreat and confidence inspriring should I go to Micheal and request them.
The 29er wheels are on a Salsa Dos 9 I have setup as a 1X9. Great bike. Its very comfortable compared to other bikes. It doesn't accellerate very quickly compared to a 26 but once it gets rolling it just blazes along.

I rode Elfin alot on my Turner Flux. Coming down Equine was always a jarring experience. Going up was always great but on rocky downhills the Turner gave me alot of brake jack causing the rear to skip around alot. The Epiphany does not have that problem. The rear stays active under braking.

As far as climbing goes, well my dos is a 1x9 and I am not used to having the granny gear. Yesterday I climbed all the way up old lopez canyon. I got to the top and thought wow, that was fast! Only then did I realize I had climbed all the way up without shifting into the granny gear. Traction while climbing is excellent. There is nothing like having to wait for your friends at the top.

·
i can't type the letter s
1,096 Posts
sandmangts said:
Traction while climbing is excellent. There is nothing like having to wait for your friends at the top.
I'd rather wait for my friends at the bottom. :thumbsup:

Nice bike! I also have the Avid Elixirs, the R not the CR. I was looking for a brake that has nice modulation for steeps (to steep to ride up or hike up :eek: ! ) and these brakes are the ticket. I also have formula K24's on my RFX for modulation purposes also. I can't tell which brake I like better, they both achieve understated excellence; that is, if I don't freak out and grab a fistful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sandmangts said:
I can't tell you how much he charged me but he saved me over $500 bucks. If you want a good deal on anything go to Mike. He may not have what you need in stock but he can get anything quick and he can do it cheaper. The build is perfect.
Do these savings apply to everyone or do you have to be recommended by a friend or know him personally?

Thanks!>. :thumbsup:

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mouse jockey said:
I'd rather wait for my friends at the bottom. :thumbsup:
Now that you mention it, I had to wait at the bottom too. The Avids are great. Hopefully they will prove to be durable and low maintenance. I have only a few rides on mine thus far. Setup was really easy though.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ALLMOUNTAIN18 said:
Do these savings apply to everyone or do you have to be recommended by a friend or know him personally?

Thanks!>. :thumbsup:
Tell him Aaron from TimeWarner sent you. Ask him what he can do for you and he will get you the best price he can. He consistantly beats online retailers for most parts. The price I paid for my frame was lower than some people are paying for them used. On bikes and frames he is unbeatable. For new customers especially he is more likely to cut you a good deal to get you to come back. Thats how you get customer loyalty and by mentioning my name he keeps hooking me up!:D

Keep in mind that by going to him you are supporting a small business owner who loves mountain biking as much as we do. He is very active in the mountain bike community and a strong advocate for trail use and he supports the SDMBA and IMBA. He is not in this business to get rich, he is in it because it is what he loves to do.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, Mike is the man! :thumbsup:

Awsome mechanic/wheel builder. He's wrenched on all my bikes and built a few wheels for me, they never had any issues. He's the only guy that touches my bikes.

Great customer service too.

Oh, nice Ellsworth!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ditch the bar ends with that riser bar. Yikes, that always makes me gag. Bar ends are for narrow flat bars. Other than that, sweet ride, and yes, Mike is the man! He works on all of my bikes, and builds killer wheels, as well as good deals when he can. Doug is pretty cool too!

Great shop, and great service. It is the only shop in SD in my mind.

·
We're going down WHAT??
319 Posts
Aaron,

That was YOUR bike i saw in there last week?? hilarious! I have to say, I dig your Elixir brakes. I was in there checking it out while I was dropping off my craptastic singlespeed for some much needed repairs. Mike is a great guy and works on my Moment and ss. Actually I work in the same business complex, so it makes it very convenient to bring my bikes there. I've been going to NOTBB since Ian owned it in the 90's. Michael has been great and I would suggest him to anyone out there. He is a stand-up guy and they have been very helpful in working with me on whatever issues I have had. Congrats on your new ride. Sweet build and I was really digging those Elixirs. (Probably my next upgrade to my full susp bike...)

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jonsocal said:
Aaron,

That was YOUR bike i saw in there last week?? hilarious! I have to say, I dig your Elixir brakes. I was in there checking it out while I was dropping off my craptastic singlespeed for some much needed repairs. Mike is a great guy and works on my Moment and ss. Actually I work in the same business complex, so it makes it very convenient to bring my bikes there. I've been going to NOTBB since Ian owned it in the 90's. Michael has been great and I would suggest him to anyone out there. He is a stand-up guy and they have been very helpful in working with me on whatever issues I have had. Congrats on your new ride. Sweet build and I was really digging those Elixirs. (Probably my next upgrade to my full susp bike...)
I saw your Moment in there on Friday. That thing is badass. Mike is swapping out a fork on my 86 Mountain Klein. You should check it out when you pickup your bike. I am building up a 98 Schwinn Homegrown for my wife and I told Mike all I needed was a fork so he just gave me a nice older Manitou that works perfect. I could easily sell it for 50 bucks and he just gave it to me. I can't say it enough: BEST SHOP IN SAN DIEGO!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.