Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to build a full suspension bike with lets say a budget of $ 3000.00 to 4000.00 dollars for the entire bike. What frame, fork and shock would you all start with?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
trb2929 said:
If you were to build a full suspension bike with lets say a budget of $ 3000.00 to 4000.00 dollars for the entire bike. What frame, fork and shock would you all start with?
impossible to help you without some level of detail

• type of riding planned?
    • plan on racing, type of racing?
    • any drops planned?
  • priorities
    • weight of bike?
    • lateral stiffness?
    • lock out required on shock and/or fork?
    • do you stand alot when pedaling?
etc....

otherwise, all you are going to get are opinions from people bike they chose to ride.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did kind of leave that open a little and hope I did not create confusion. I have looked at bikes like the TREK X9. I also like the Liquid line if the weight was down a bit. But I’m by no means hard on a bike at this point. I have a 05 TREK 8500 and like it a lot. I just would like to build a FS from scratch. Thinking of doing this in steps learning the build process as I go. I had some friends suggest Titanium frames, like from Lightspeed. But that is out of my budget at this time.

My riding abilities: I’m a big guy 230 plus and riding skills is average at best. Plan on working on my skills and fitness with the 8500.

Maybe the X9 is the way to go but I just thought I would look and see if I could build a better bike for a similar price. So all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
For XC....

Turner Flux, Titus RX, ellsworth truth, Santa cruz blur, Vetanna(elsantoes??), Yeti ASR....

All of these brands also make 'trail bikes' if you want a bit more 'cush'.

If you were more on a bduget, then Giant, trek, cannondale, kona, specialized....

After reading through your post again, I would say maybe go for a light weight trailbike. Something like a Yeti 575 or even a turner 5spot!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
trb2929 said:
I did kind of leave that open a little and hope I did not create confusion. I have looked at bikes like the TREK X9. I also like the Liquid line if the weight was down a bit. But I'm by no means hard on a bike at this point. I have a 05 TREK 8500 and like it a lot. I just would like to build a FS from scratch. Thinking of doing this in steps learning the build process as I go. I had some friends suggest Titanium frames, like from Lightspeed. But that is out of my budget at this time.

My riding abilities: I'm a big guy 230 plus and riding skills is average at best. Plan on working on my skills and fitness with the 8500.

Maybe the X9 is the way to go but I just thought I would look and see if I could build a better bike for a similar price. So all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
This is my opinion, but Titanium full suspensions are definitely NOT something I would be looking at. I know the Niota is like by many but in general, a waste of money for a full suspension where stiffness is something you want, unlike in hardtails where the Ti or steel feel is welcomed by most.

Given your size and the fact that you will not be focused weight weenie stuff, I would have fun with it and start with a great 5" travel frame. My personal preference, which will translate into a benefit for 230 pounders, is a full suspension with lateral stiffness as a key parameter in your choice. Though I am biased for sure, since I ride one, I cant recommend the Ventana X-5 enough. Ventanas are known for their stiffness and general build quality. This bike has everything that I like (coil or air shock, can be set up for 5" or 6" travel, quad bearing option for even increased stiffness, beautiful build quality).

my 2 or less cents....

cheers

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Intense 5.5 EVP

By nature most posts to your question are going to be personal opinions and if people have had good experiences they will recomend what they ride. The proviso of course being what you intend useing the bike for. If you are going to do CX racing then you need an appropriate bike. If like me, you want a bike that is light enough to do long rides and also do a bit more agressive riding look at one of the long travel trail bikes.

I've been riding an Intense 5point5 since early last spring. If I was buying again now would I do it again? Hell yes! You could build it up with a Manitou Minute 2 and full XT group set for $3874.00. A build like that would come out a tad under 30lbs. I reckon. You can check that out here. The frames alone are selling for $1850.00. The frame comes standard with a Manitou Swinger 4-way, Fox RP3 or 5th Element Air. I like the Swinger and I have a Nixon Platinum on the front.

Ronnie.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ronnie said:
By nature most posts to your question are going to be personal opinions and if people have had good experiences they will recomend what they ride. The proviso of course being what you intend useing the bike for. If you are going to do CX racing then you need an appropriate bike. If like me, you want a bike that is light enough to do long rides and also do a bit more agressive riding look at one of the long travel trail bikes.

I've been riding an Intense 5point5 since early last spring. If I was buying again now would I do it again? Hell yes! You could build it up with a Manitou Minute 2 and full XT group set for $3874.00. A build like that would come out a tad under 30lbs. I reckon. You can check that out here. The frames alone are selling for $1850.00. The frame comes standard with a Manitou Swinger 4-way, Fox RP3 or 5th Element Air. I like the Swinger and I have a Nixon Platinum on the front.

Ronnie.
Agreed, the 5.5 is a fine bike. In particular, if you plan to be standing a lot when pedaling, the benefit of the 5.5 may definitely make it worth looking at (given the characteristics of VPP suspension).

My short list of bike frames I would personally consider as the basis of a build (assuming you are in fact interested in approx. 5" travel) would include the following, each with its own pluses and minuses:

* Intense 5.5
* Ventana El Saltamontes
* Turner 5 Spot
* Yeti 575
* Titus Switchblade
* Ventana X-5
* Foes FXR
* Titus Motolite

The list of course changes if you open it up to 6" travel bikes and/or heavier bikes and of course will change if you only want a 4" travel bike.

Cheers

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
I just got a SMOKIN' deal on a 2004 Intense 5.5 at Web Cyclery(www.webcyclery.com). Not sure if they have any left now, but it would be worth a call if you're interested in the Intense 5.5, or the Spyder for that matter. Web Cyclery didn't have the clearance price listed on the web site (probably due to marketing restrictions imposed by Intense), but it was significantly less than the going rate of ~$1850 for the 2005 model.

I imagine other Intense dealers are having similar blowouts on the '04 models they have left.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You all are really giving me a bunch to chew on! I called Ventana today to check if they had any 17” 04 models left. Got to speak with Sherwood what a nice guy he was. We both have diabetes so we had a chat about that also. Not saying his frame is what I will purchase but nice guy anyway.

I’m think my needs would be in the range of 5” of travel. Now my local bike shop how are very helpful suggested that building a bike in this manner will cost more then just buying a TREK X9 and upgrade the components to XTR. Without beating up on the guys is this some what true or just trying to get another bike sell which is what they are in business for in the first place.

My opinion at this point and I’m new to the game is I should be able to make a better bike for less watching for sales and such. I’m in no need to run out and buy all my parts and slam this together. I looking for a project that I can have fun building and riding.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I assume you mean Trek EX9. If that is the case, the retail is $3299 which is way high in my book. And that does not even include XTR stuff. You will pay a fortune to have bike with XTR stuff....you can get a better deal on a way better bike, period.

Not to mention, do not just jump into XTR. My opinion, and many others, is that XTR is not the best stuff. There are a lot of things I personally (and others) hate about it (eg, combo shifters/brake levers, type of rise on derailleur, etc.).

Bottom line in my opinion, if you are looking at bikes as expensive as the EX9 plus putting on XTR, you can definitely beat it and get a way better bike and have it completely speced by you.

my 2 cents....well by now, probably more like 8 cents.

cheers

·
self destructive
169 Posts
Titus switchblade
reba or fox fork
juicy 7
king or hadley hubs, 14-15db DT spokes, brass nips on rhyno lites
xt crank
sram x-9 shifters, RD
XT front der and cassette
thomson stem and post
King headset
cnt easton riser
wtb rocket saddle
candy ti pedals

OR i would get a 29'er with an ebb and der hanger to try out a 29er

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Not to mention, do not just jump into XTR. My opinion, and many others, is that XTR is not the best stuff. There are a lot of things I personally (and others) hate about it (eg, combo shifters/brake levers, type of rise on derailleur, etc.).

Bottom line in my opinion, if you are looking at bikes as expensive as the EX9 plus putting on XTR, you can definitely beat it and get a way better bike and have it completely speced by you.
Agreed. I would save your money and not go with XTR. I prefer Sram gearing, you could get some X0 parts for about the same as the XTR:) But theres nothing wrong with the X9 at half the price!

Foshizzle's list of bike's to consider is a very good one. I would look closely into all of them:)

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
FoShizzle said:

my 2 cents....well by now, probably more like 8 cents.

cheers
My opinion (and many others) is that XTR and Shimano in general is the best stuff. Obviously, I built my 5.5 with a full XTR group set. I also think that dual control is the best thing since sliced bread! In over a year of riding with it I never had an unwanted gear changes or any other problems for that matter. I have XT 203mm discs, I can brake with one finger on each hand and my hands are always firmly on the grips. Again, only my two cents worth. That said, there is very little difference between XTR and XT other than weight.

A new 5.5 would cost about $3800.00 with XT and about $4200.00 with XTR.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
trb2929 said:
I?m think my needs would be in the range of 5? of travel. Now my local bike shop how are very helpful suggested that building a bike in this manner will cost more then just buying a TREK X9 and upgrade the components to XTR. Without beating up on the guys is this some what true or just trying to get another bike sell which is what they are in business for in the first place.
Remember any LBS is going to try and sell you the bike brand that they have a dealer franchise for and they will first try to sell you what they have in stock.

Ronnie.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
trb2929 said:
I considering the Titus as they are local for me from what I understand, Phoenix.
boy....if you can, take a visit to see them. that would be very cool. I am sure you looked at their bikes at least on line (titusti.com) but they are great. Let us know if you make it over there.

Just an example, even without shopping or putting any effort into it, by buying straight from Titus as a complete bike (which would be awesome if you were close to them and maybe would be cheaper?), you can get the following for $3555 with some highlights noted.

* SRAM X-9 rear der and shifters
* XT front der, cranks, cassette
* El Camino or Louise brakes (I love the Louise)
* DT Swiss XR4.1 rims (not sure of hubs?)
* King headset
* Float or Pike Team

While it is not XTR or X.0 stuff, it is here as a comparison against the Fuel EX9 you are now familiar with and at a few hundred bucks more, I would much rather have personally.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I can get out of here early today I plan on running over and checking the Switchblade out. Already mapquested them and they are just a few miles over into Tempe. What frok/shock would you suggest for a big guy of 230lbs or more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.