Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Newbie
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to do something different this morning and take my bike to work and ride before work. I got there early, got ready and set off on my way. As I went to cross the street out of the parking lot, PING!, broken chain! I called my LBS and they said they would fix it because I just got it but when I got there they didn't have a long enough chain. They put on a shorter chain and said that I couldn't use all gears until they get the right one. This was not good enough so I enquired about a SRAM chain because I wanted one anyway and they didn't have them either. I think I'm done with this shop because they were not at all helpful when I bought my bike either. Just needed to vent. Thanks..

P.S. At least it didn't break yesterday on the trails at Redman.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if your bike requires an unusually long chain. Anytime I've bought a chain I never bothered to ask about the length (just didn't think about it) and the shop never asked; they just give me some "default" size, I remove a few links to match the old chain and all is good.

·
Registered
18,576 Posts
Dawn Rider said:
I was going to do something different this morning and take my bike to work and ride before work. I got there early, got ready and set off on my way. As I went to cross the street out of the parking lot, PING!, broken chain! I called my LBS and they said they would fix it because I just got it but when I got there they didn't have a long enough chain. They put on a shorter chain and said that I couldn't use all gears until they get the right one. This was not good enough so I enquired about a SRAM chain because I wanted one anyway and they didn't have them either. I think I'm done with this shop because they were not at all helpful when I bought my bike either. Just needed to vent. Thanks..

P.S. At least it didn't break yesterday on the trails at Redman.
Hmmmm...sucks that happened to you. Was it a Shimano chain by any chance?

Check it out though, teach yourself how to repair a broken chain (because they happen). Next time you can remove a pair of links and be on your way in a couple of minutes, good as new.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
Just carry a spare SRAM Power Link in your pack. Better yet, carry two, just in case. And get a multi-tool that has a chain tool on it. If your chain breaks, just cut it so you have two "female" ends, and put it together with the Power Link. Done and done, way easier than dealing with pins. Not a permanent solution, but it will get you home. Got me home yesterday, in fact.

PS Shimano chains suck and they're overpriced. PricePoint has SRAM 971 chains, cheap.

http://pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=13924

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
power links are expensive, replacement pins are so damn easy to loose...

this guy i know reuses chain pins exclusively. broken chain? remove the link with the messed up plate, reconnect the chain with the pin that was pushed out to remove the broken link. just remember to never cross the streams. when pushing a pin back in, make sure the chain tool is applying direct pressure on the pin and isn't cock-eyed. make sure there's an even amount of pin showing on either side of the plates when done. make sure you flex the kink out of the repaired link.

when you get back home, if the cross combo is putting too much strain on the derailler, replace the missing link(s). you kept the excess links you trimmed when originally installing the chain, right?

note, shitty shop; why dont they have extra links? why dont they have new chains?

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
drunkle said:
power links are expensive
???? You can get them for $15 for a set of 4 from Price Point, or, better yet, save them when you change chains, which you should do frequently. Then they're free. Again, not a long-term solution. But then neither is ghetto-riggin' a pin.

And PL's are WAY easier than hassling with pins, especially out on the trail. Why would you dick around trying to properly position and tension a pin in the middle of a ride when you can be done with a PL and riding again in less than 5 minutes? Especially if it's raining or getting dark...

·
fuggansonofahowa
1,070 Posts
Manmountain Dense said:
???? You can get them for $15 for a set of 4 from Price Point, or, better yet, save them when you change chains, which you should do frequently. Then they're free. Again, not a long-term solution. But then neither is ghetto-riggin' a pin.

And PL's are WAY easier than hassling with pins, especially out on the trail. Why would you dick around trying to properly position and tension a pin in the middle of a ride when you can be done with a PL and riding again in less than 5 minutes? Especially if it's raining or getting dark...
I'm glad YOU said that...I don't think I've messed with pins since the 90's (feels like it anyway). Power Links are about 4 bucks apiece and take less than 1 minute to install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.