Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a bike shop and the owner told me that all bike prices from last year 07' to 08' increased to about 25%! Is this true or is he giving me a line? He further told me that there will probally be an additional increase of around 10%. True of False? Please only reply if you either work in a shop or have industry insight.

So I want a new bike, I'm getting back into the saddle, it's been about 4 years. To get to the point these are my requirements:
- Willing to pay around $1,000
- Hardtail
- I prefer Shimano Drivetrains (that's what I'm use to and I can service this)

At this point I like the trek 6500 or perhaps consider the Trek 6700. My other choice is a Specialized.

Any suggestions or guidance is weclomed!

·
Registered
148 Posts
CJMAN said:
I went to a bike shop and the owner told me that all bike prices from last year 07' to 08' increased to about 25%! Is this true or is he giving me a line? He further told me that there will probally be an additional increase of around 10%. True of False? Please only reply if you either work in a shop or have industry insight.

So I want a new bike, I'm getting back into the saddle, it's been about 4 years. To get to the point these are my requirements:
- Willing to pay around $1,000
- Hardtail
- I prefer Shimano Drivetrains (that's what I'm use to and I can service this)

At this point I like the trek 6500 or perhaps consider the Trek 6700. My other choice is a Specialized.

Any suggestions or guidance is weclomed!
Why would they be increased?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been discussing the very issue with the manager of my LBS, and he has confirmed the prices are going UP 10-20% for 09. This all due to gas prices being up. Everything cost more to get it where it needs to go, just like us to the local trails.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Commodities...

all metals are commodites...subject to increases and decreases on a daily basis. As the cost of all metals, and the energy required to produce those metals, has increased close to 50% in the last year, it's no wonder that we're seing these increases. Add to that the cost of fuel to ship goods...the 25% + 10% is not unusual at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I should probally get the 08' which has increased about 25% from 07'... And the 09' will even be higer? Any thoughts on the models that I'm looking at?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm no bike shop emploee or insider but I can confirm my LBS told me the exact same thing on July 3rd when I bought my cannondale.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can concur that my LBS said the same thing. They weren't trying to scare me into buying an 08 either, they didn't have one in my size. They actually told me if I can find anything in my size at their shop or another I should purchase it due to the price increases. Someone on these boards posted the MSRP of a GF bike going from $690 -> $800.

·
I am SUCH a geek.
17 Posts
My local Trek shop told me prices were going up for '09's also, so I bought one of their last '08's instead of waiting. I'd buy now if you can find a bike you like that fits your body type and your budget. I have the 4300 and I like it a lot, so I'd imagine the 6500 or 6700 would be quite nice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I did it. I bought the 6500 and I'm happy with my purchase. I figure the prices will only increase. I really dig this bike and the geometry fits me awesome! Thanks for all your encouragement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.