Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my belated Christmas present! 07 Intense 5.5 EVP w/ Fox Talas RL forks.

Anyway, i need to assemble it. Completely from the ground up.

What are some good sites to go to that have good how-tos or walkthroughs?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, good stuff.

I'm traveling right now (which just burns, knowing that I can't touch my bike until Sundayy....!!!!), but before I left, I was looking into installing the forks w/ the threadless headset. The little flash video said that I needed a hacksaw, etc... *nervous*

For the full assembly, I have basic hand tools as well as my fairly complete multi-tool. Are there any other tools that I'll need? I also have Pedro's Extra Dry lube and degreaser, am I going to need any other lube?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only thing that I couldn't do with standard tools was to install the bottom bracket (my Shimano came with the tool, so I was lucky), and tighten down the cassette.

Pressing the bottom bearing race on to the fork's steerer tube was a bit of a challenge. I suggets finding a section of pipe (pvc) at the local hardware store. Get 12 inches it will cost pennies. Make sure the pipe is sized to fit over the steerer tube barely. You will use that to ram the bearing race down. You could even hammer on the PVC.

You don't have to thread up your own wheels and true them do you?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would invest in a tool kit like this: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22310&subcategory_ID=4218

It has almost everything you need. BB tools, cassette tools, chain whip, etc.
You will also need something to set the crown race (as mentioned above, re: pipe)
You might also want some cable cutters, but I've found a dremel tool works well, also.
A torque wrench is good, too.

What you will need your LBS for:
Pressing the headset in (a headset press is expensive, and I would rather have someone doing this that knows what they are doing. You could mess up your frame if you screw this part up.)
Possibly setting the star nut
Chasing BB threads

You *may* not need a hacksaw. Until you know how you'll like your bike set-up, I wouldn't cut the fork steerer just yet. Also, if you cut a lot, it may be tough to resell if you decide later you want to do that. You can play with the spacers to get different stem heights and decide how you like your position on the bike before you decide to cut.

That's all I can think of right now.

edit: you mentioned lube. You'll also want to get some good quality (Park) grease for the headset and the bottom bracket. Some thread locker might be a good idea too for things like crank bolts, etc.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with mtbjen, it's not worth the risk of screwing up your frame if you improperly install the headset. My LBS charged like 20 bucks to ream the headtube and install the headset and fork. Considering they had proper tools and experience and I didn't have to mess with it, it was a good deal.

I'd recommend shopping around for a tool kit too. Nashbar, Performance, etc have decent ones for 30-40 bucks. You might consider a torque wrench too, you can find them pretty cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jyeager said:
You don't have to thread up your own wheels and true them do you?
Nope, my wheels came ready to rock, just gotta throw on the tires and tubes.

Picked up some heavy grease at an LBS down here in Redding. I can get it all done, full assembly, for $100 by Performance Bike... but Bikerbob just did do that full build guide...

Dammit - for some reason I have this idiotic feeling like I want to do it myself.

Maybe I'll do some stuff myself, like put the tires on the rims, heh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.