Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my frame from bike29.com, awesome shop with some sweet bikes and lots of knowledge. Frame is sweet, wasn't too impressed with all the chipped paint on top of the post mount for the rear bake but not a big deal, easy to clean up. Can't wait to ride it next week!!

I have one stupid question and one not so stupid if anyone could help,

The frame came with a bunch of cable snaps to hold cables in place, it also came with 1 oversized aluminum ferrule for running housing. I don't see any need for the ferrule or where it would fit on the frame?

also

Does anyone use dues or atlas raceface cranks and if so how many if any of the small 1mm spacers for chainline are you running? I have zero on now and it looks o.k..

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
vt29er said:
Just got my frame from bike29.com, awesome shop with some sweet bikes and lots of knowledge. Frame is sweet, wasn't too impressed with all the chipped paint on top of the post mount for the rear bake but not a big deal, easy to clean up. Can't wait to ride it next week!!

I have one stupid question and one not so stupid if anyone could help,

The frame came with a bunch of cable snaps to hold cables in place, it also came with 1 oversized aluminum ferrule for running housing. I don't see any need for the ferrule or where it would fit on the frame?

also

Does anyone use dues or atlas raceface cranks and if so how many if any of the small 1mm spacers for chainline are you running? I have zero on now and it looks o.k..

Thanks in advance!
There are some extra cable pieces included. The ferrule is for if you want to run cable rear brakes, and it would go into the guide to work as a cable stop.

As for the RaceFace cranks, if you are referring to the BB spacers, you must run 1 of them on the drive side. If you are referring to the rubber spacers that go over the spindle, I would recommend running them both on the drive side. Both of these spacer setups is how I have my RaceFace Deus cranks on my Big Mama, and it works great.

Ride and Smile!
Tim, Salsa Cycles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I thought it might be for a cable brake. I have the 2.5mm spacer and bottom bracket all set, was curious about the 1mm spindle spacers. Big ring looked pretty close to the chainstay so I'll put 2 on that side.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
vt29er said:
wasn't too impressed with all the chipped paint on top of the post mount for the rear bake
funny you should mention bikes with chipped paint in that store. a friend of mine was visiting the shop awhile back and noticed that many bikes/frames were dinged up. he said that he asked why and someone told him that it just happens when stuff gets moved around
if i were buying a bike or frame, i would hope that the equipment would be handled more carefully. maybe that's just how they roll and want the bikes to have that used look. interesting.

rog

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed user name with new email address so I'm the same person that posted this-

The paint was not chipped in any way or form by the bike shop. What I was referring to was the paint on top of the post mounts for the rear brake. It was never cleaned up in the factory or faced. Aluminum post was crusted with paint that you could chip off with your finger, there was no way a caliper would mount properly. it was almost 1/16" thick but . Not a big deal and easily cleaned up with a flat file but unacceptable for a $1300- frame. Bottom bracket was faced and clean, head tube not faced or at least it had paint on top and bottom but headset mounted fine and square.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I put 2 on drive side of bottom bracket was way too tight, put one on and smooth but I am getting terrible chain suck shifting from middle to granny, 4 times in a 2.5 hour ride on it's maiden voyage ,new drivetrain and a scratched up frame!! Seems to happen when I drop down to granny anticipating a big climb. Been a mechanic for 15 years and I've never had so many issues with a front der. and bottom bracket except the old alivio stuff but this is all X9. Paint is nice on the frame but is VERY easily chipped!

Salsa, you need to make touch up paint for this frame, paint chips like an eggshell!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts