Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some recommendation on a good all mountain or XC bike for beginner. Looking for great deals and best bang for the buck, but won't break the piggy bank. I am open to used bike too but not sure if it is reliable?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Need some recommendation on a good all mountain or XC bike for beginner. Looking for great deals and best bang for the buck, but won't break the piggy bank. I am open to used bike too but not sure if it is reliable?
Such a big open ended question :)

I'd personally be shooting for something like a Giant Trance X or similar. Giant, while as common as they come, are great value for money and you can get a nice entry level dually relatively cheaply.

It might even be worthwhile shooting for a second hand hard tail just to get your skills up, and ride it into the ground while you are researching your new bike. And then when you know you are going to stick with the sport and you have a better idea of what you want you can spend a bit more and get something that will last you longer!

Hope that helps!
Ryano.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, to thread jack but I am in a similar situation. I just rode a serious trail for the first time yesterday borrowing my brother's bike that is not really meant for serious uphill. I am looking at used bikes, but what are the main things I want to look for in a bike. I really want something that will be easy for climbing and can handle the bumps of a quick downhill

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
for someone starting out ... would recommend a hard tail with a 100mm fork.

used bike is fine when you know what you are looking for and it is one of those things that you will not know about till you have your bike with you and you can dismantle the components, clean them and build the bike up again.

so what bike you might ask? it all depends on your budget.

i started out with a GT avalanche disc. after 1 year, i have replaced almost all the components. the frame was the last component to go. since then i have built myself a HT and FS.

just start with a trek or specialized. there always good deals around like last year's models. stick with it for sometime and if you like the sport, after awhile you will know what are the good components and you can build yourself a bike from there.

good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
i started out with a GT avalanche disc. after 1 year, i have replaced almost all the components. the frame was the last component to go.
I had a mate with one of these and he rode it for about a year and a half flat out while the rest of us were on dually's. It was a bit worse for wear in the end but stood up to all of the punishment.

My first bike was an Avanti Montari - cost me about $300 AU second hand and it was a great bike.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
The GT was a good frame for me to start out with ... :thumbsup:

After awhile, depending on how you like your toys, you might just continue with it or if you're like me, who prefers to customise, you break it down and start from there ...

If you start out with a good and reliable frame, after some useful riding, you will know what you want in terms of the geometry that you would like, and then you can start your components list and then the fun begins ;)

Very much like football boots, they all very much do what it says on the tin. But after awhile if you are still in the game you may wish to go for those with the '3 stripes' or the little 'swoosh' or whatever you may fancy which is not dependant on the performance but much rather how it pleases your eye.

·
Registered
4 Posts

used bike is fine when you know what you are looking for and it is one of those things that you will not know about till you have your bike with you and you can dismantle the components, clean them and build the bike up again.

so what bike you might ask? it all depends on your budget.

i started out with a GT avalanche disc. after 1 year, i have replaced almost all the components. the frame was the last component to go. since then i have built myself a HT and FS.

just start with a trek or specialized. there always good deals around like last year's models. stick with it for sometime and if you like the sport, after awhile you will know what are the good components and you can build yourself a bike from there.

good luck
there is a specialized rockhopper for 200 bucks on craigslist, what about something like that?

What is the advantage of a hardtail for a beginner?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The "advantage" is that a full suspension can make up for some rider errors, whereas a hard tail is going to be alot less forgiving.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
The "advantage" is that a full suspension can make up for some rider errors, whereas a hard tail is going to be alot less forgiving.
+1 ... on a HT, you learn to choose your line and control your speed and you generally pick up a lot of off-road handling skills mainly because you tend not to ride 'straight through' areas that you will do on a FS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 ... on a HT, you learn to choose your line and control your speed and you generally pick up a lot of off-road handling skills mainly because you tend not to ride 'straight through' areas that you will do on a FS.
taking that into consideration, and without knowing much about my riding, is the 200 dollar rock hopper a decent deal?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A little more info is needed. What year is it? Disc? V Brake? Which front fork? A new hardrock is in the $450-ish range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little more info is needed. What year is it? Disc? V Brake? Which front fork? A new hardrock is in the $450-ish range.
I honestly don't know much about it. The craigslist details are:

Specialized Rock Hopper
21 speed
26 inch alum wheels
front suspension
digital speed/comp

Not sure on the year. I was trying to post a link to craigslist so you could see a pic but my post count is below 10.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I honestly don't know much about it. The craigslist details are:

Specialized Rock Hopper
21 speed
26 inch alum wheels
front suspension
digital speed/comp

Not sure on the year. I was trying to post a link to craigslist so you could see a pic but my post count is below 10.
It doesn't matter how good the deal you get is if the bike doesn't fit you. Do you know what size bike you ride? Do you know what size that bike is? I'd really go pay a visit to your local bike shop and test ride some bikes. At least at that point you'll have a good basis on what an entry level bike might feel like and they'll be able to fit you on a few different sizes so you can compare.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
Take a tape measure with you. The sales person will know what is the size of the bike usually measured in the seattube length from the bottom bracket. (length of A from photograph; could be 16", 17", 18" etc)

Product White Line Font Black

Try out a few bikes. Then once you know which one fits you comfortably, measure the length of B (needs to be parallel to the ground), and note of the length of the stem.

Mainly because there are lots of frames out there with the same seatube length but different effective top tube length (B) which can be compensated by the stem length.

I many have provided you with too much info, in which case, you go with the seattube length and after you have had your bike for a while and when it is time to upgrade in a year or so ... you will have gained the additional info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One can get a taste of trail worthiness for $450 new, but long term durability starts around $800-$1000 (double-wall rims, disc brakes, a well-sealed suspension fork). Used, you would be looking at half that, provided you were confident that the parts aren't worn out. A good bike shop might help you assess wear-and-tear, as well as fit (important).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll give you my experience. I bought a Trek Fuel EX 5 two seasons ago and was stoked to have my first full suspension mountain bike. It was a blast at first. But my buddies leave me in the dust on long climbs with their 29ers. I found out I'm not really interested in bombing down hills, I mainly like to climb, and the rear wheel slips out on steep climbs when standing and when I'm seated it wheelies off the trail. I'm now upgrading to a 29er that will climb better. You can't predict what type of rider you'll be. If I wanted one bike to do it all this would have been a great choice. But I'm not really into shuttling up hills and bombing down, much rather neander through miles of singletrack. That's my story.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Chinaman said:
Agreed, but not an XC bike, rather a DJ/FR/HT bike like a Giant STP with a Marzocchi DJ fork wider rim and 20mm axle. Can suck up everything you can dish out.

If you like the style, but think it's too heavy you could go XC or move to FS FR, or FS AM.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I'll give you my experience. I bought a Trek Fuel EX 5 two seasons ago and was stoked to have my first full suspension mountain bike. It was a blast at first. But my buddies leave me in the dust on long climbs with their 29ers. I found out I'm not really interested in bombing down hills, I mainly like to climb, and the rear wheel slips out on steep climbs when standing and when I'm seated it wheelies off the trail. I'm now upgrading to a 29er that will climb better. You can't predict what type of rider you'll be. If I wanted one bike to do it all this would have been a great choice. But I'm not really into shuttling up hills and bombing down, much rather neander through miles of singletrack. That's my story.
While I like how your point about how you can't predict what type of rider you'd be but at the end of the day 3 fact you pointed out your buddies beat you on the climb, your rear wheel slips and front wheel wheelie is the rider's control not the bike.

If/when you are beating your buddies on the bombing descend you'll be singing different tune. I used to sweep when we go on a group ride they smoked me down the descend, after a few bike clinic/practice and adjustable seat post I'm pushing the pace of the fast riders up front:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.