Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Truvativ howitzer xr that came with the bike broke today and Im looking for something to replace it. what are my options? I could get same one cheaply, but I really need something that lasts, because im not really that smooth rider. Never done this before, so I m kind of lost with all the different BB sizings.

The bike is 2007 bighit 2, chainline is about 50mm, 73mm bb widht with a 135 rear hub.

dont mind buying new cranks if needed.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I use the Shimano Hone on my '07, though you could consider the Saints if you don't mind the extra weight and $$$. I've never used them, but RaceFace X-type Evolve or Diabolus cranks are very good, also, although I hear mostly negative responses to the X-type BB cups. You can use RaceFace cranks with the Shimano BB cups, and vice versa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks,

Local bike shop had those race face x-types on the shelf, so decided to test those. Hopefully they will work to the end of this season. If they fail, going to order Saints.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
b45her said:
dont buy the raceface bb cups they dont last , the shimano ones are much better.
ok, bb was included with evolve dh cranks. Too late to cancel it because the mechanic probably has installed them already. Cranks were really nice, a bit heavy but stiff looking. If the bb fails what model shimano one should I be looking at?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The Shimano BB cups are the same through the HTII range, with the exception of the XTR cups. If you want bulletproof, try EnduroForkSeals' aftermarket upgrades with either stainless or ceramic bearings.
So, apart from the knackered cranks, how are you finding the bike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts