Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new GX AXS upgrade kit, and on its fourth ride ever, the upper jockey wheel came unbolted and fell off mid-ride. The trail was no rougher than on the derailleur’s first three rides, and my non-AXS GX derailleur had seen far rougher trails for years without ever having this problem.

Was it my fault for not thinking I needed to check every bolt on a brand new item? Or was this a QC failure on SRAM’s part? Or just a total freak occurrence that I should just forget about and move on from?

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
Techinically (after installation) maintenance is your responsibility. One ride or a hundred its your job to check stuff.

That said...

None of us would expect this to happen, but it could/should have been caught during install. Was it likely missed during assembly at the factory, probably so. Best advice, replace the bolt and pulley and be on your way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone please post a pic with the bolt in question identified? Thanks.
I circled it in red in the exploded diagram. Its the bolt that keeps the upper jockey wheel attached. I stopped as soon as I felt something was off, and was lucky enough that the jockey wheel itself was only a few feet behind me on the trail, along with the inboard dust cap. I looked for the other dust cap and the bolt for a while, before giving up and removing my chain. Fortunately, it was mostly downhill the rest of the way back (and was actually kind of cool to experience zero pedal kickback, but not worth having to walk up the climbing sections).

Font Auto part Line art Drawing Engineering

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
I circled it in red in the exploded diagram. Its the bolt that keeps the upper jockey wheel attached. I stopped as soon as I felt something was off, and was lucky enough that the jockey wheel itself was only a few feet behind me on the trail, along with the inboard dust cap. I looked for the other dust cap and the bolt for a while, before giving up and removing my chain. Fortunately, it was mostly downhill the rest of the way back (and was actually kind of cool to experience zero pedal kickback, but not worth having to walk up the climbing sections).

View attachment 1950824
Thank you. In addition to my axle and rear shock bolt, I will add this to what I am going to check in 15 minutes before today’s ride. Much appreciated. Glad things turned out ok for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. In addition to my axle and rear shock bolt, I will add this to what I am going to check in 15 minutes before today’s ride. Much appreciated. Glad things turned out ok for you.
You got it! I never thought to check these particular bolts before... usually I just remove them a few times a year to clean everything, then put them back with a dollop of loctite, and have never had this problem before. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was a pulley upgrade or something. The OP got screwed.
That would be me (OP), and I’m definitely a bit annoyed at SRAM. Fortunately, I bought it at an excellent LBS who is going to make sure SRAM makes this right. And meanwhile, the dust cap and bolt from my old derailleur work just fine, so it’s not keeping me off the trail.

Technically he got unscrewed
😂 the laugh I got from that made this all worth it

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
@alkalifly - I checked that bolt on mine before my ride today. All good. Thanks for the heads up.

Hang in there. I got the XX1 upgrade kit when my X01 rd $hit the bed on me earlier this year, and my LBS only had one AXS rd on hand. It was this or nothing. I had a ride planned that day. I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

It cost me a GD fortune but it has turned out to be the best bike related purchase I made in 2021, and I made many. The always precise shifts are intoxicating. I shift way more often now, and ride way faster as a result. I'm a Shimano guy normally but this AXS is the real deal. I won't be able to go back.

Ask your GF/SO for a Garmin Edge 530/830 for xmas or your b-day. Paired up with the AXS, it is sweet AF. My Garmin is incredible in about 25 different ways, but the $hit it does with my AXS is awesome. Gear display, battery display and post-ride gearing data, among other things. Just looked at everything now from my ride today. Super fun, interesting and helpful.

Enjoy the AXS. You're going to love it after you get these wrinkles ironed out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.