Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been thinking on getting a SS, been a XC rider for around 5 years now, rigid, FS, hardtail, pretty much I've done it all except SS so im curius, birthday is coming up and the wife just gave me green light to add another member to the stable. Usually I ride XC races, single tracks, endurance races, pretty much my everyday trail is 80% single track so a SS sounds perfect.

Thinking of buying a decent/budget friendly package, thinking about a soma frame, soma fork, decent wheelset etc, but the big question is, 27.5 or 29? I own only 29ers feel very confortable, im a small dude 5'7", but in my mind a 27.5 SS sounds good, easier to move it, easier to start pedaling get it rolling you know?

What are your thoughts? Any experience?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just built up a 29" for the first time and I love it. Makes the hardtail even more comfy. I'm 5'9" and my bike handles awesome. I have not noticed any slow handling with the bigger wheels but all of the small rock chatter is numbed up. It just floats over things way better than my 26" ss. My frame is also carbon so that helps as well of course.

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
I have been riding MTB for decades so I'm kinda fond of the 26" wheel size. Remember them... sweeeet...

...sorry, I just got misty-eyed for a minute.

I own 3 single speeds. 26" KHS softail, Soma 26" fully rigid and a Rocky Mountain 29er fully rigid. That 29er single speed is the only 29er I own, none of the other bikes are 29ers. Never ridden a 27.5.

If you're going with a rigid front end, I'd definitely go with a 29er, hands down. If you're going to run with a suspension fork, the line is a bit blurred, but given you are on 29ers now, I'd swing to the 29er.

Noting that I can't compare a 27.5, I can compare a 26 rigid to a 29er rigid and the 29er is the winner of the 2 by a less jittery mile.

I should add that I grew up racing BMX and I like the more nimble feel of the smaller wheels, so I'm not a 29er fan boy by any stretch. In light of that. if I say to go with a 29er then there has to be something in it. ;)

Grumps

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
if going rigid I'd go 29er if you already like them. Only other thing for SS I prefer is shorter stays. That is one good thing about the 27.5 soma. As always, if you could just try them out...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying them its not an option, my LBS do sell SOMA but they don't have any to try, everything is special order (very small shop owned by a friend). They sell KONA as well and been looking at the UNIT, but I believe I can get a better build for the same price if I go with the soma.

I believe on a 29er would be harder to get it rolling, but on the other side once its moving it'll keep moving, roll over crap faster / effortless compared to a smaller tire, would have to work a bit harder just to keep momentum due to obstacles.

Think is a pro / cons issue here, thought it over night and leaning towards the 29er (friend of mine just received his SOMA JUICE 29 and the color scheme is SICK, pictures on the catalog sucks, is BEAUTIFUL in the real life).

Thinking in going 32T up front 20T on the back just to start

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Trying them its not an option, my LBS do sell SOMA but they don't have any to try, everything is special order (very small shop owned by a friend). They sell KONA as well and been looking at the UNIT, but I believe I can get a better build for the same price if I go with the soma.

I believe on a 29er would be harder to get it rolling, but on the other side once its moving it'll keep moving, roll over crap faster / effortless compared to a smaller tire, would have to work a bit harder just to keep momentum due to obstacles.

Think is a pro / cons issue here, thought it over night and leaning towards the 29er (friend of mine just received his SOMA JUICE 29 and the color scheme is SICK, pictures on the catalog sucks, is BEAUTIFUL in the real life).

Thinking in going 32T up front 20T on the back just to start
My suggestion is a 29er. The bigger wheel and larger tire volume will compensate for a rigid fork. Re getting rolling, I don't think this will be a concern. I rode a 26er SS for years before going to a 29er and I don't recall finding it any more difficult to get rolling.

Not sure where you are located, but unless you have extremely hilly or technical terrain, I would recommend 32:19 or even 32:18 or you will be undergeared. If you do go 27.5, maybe consider 34:18 as the smaller wheels will turn faster and so you can get away with a taller gear.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Gearing is dependent on terrain. 32x20 is good for hilly areas, you might need a 21 out back to get up some AZ mountains.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i just pulled the trigger on a 2014 SOMA JUICE, it'll be here next week, going with a 32x20 and see what happens.

Thanks for the input ALL

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Welcome to the dark side. Please post and let us know how you like the bike once you have it. Oh yeah, and pictures of the bike, please...

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
So i just pulled the trigger on a 2014 SOMA JUICE, it'll be here next week, going with a 32x20 and see what happens.

Thanks for the input ALL
Congratulations! Swapping Free-wheels can be a fairly easy task and having several different sizes may help in picking the right gear ratio. I currently run a 33x20 with 29" wheels and it gets kind of spinny on the flats, but works well on the hills I ride.

I hope you enjoy your new ride and happy pending birthday!!!

·
Teen Wolf
891 Posts
i'm 5'7" and ride a 29er. i say go for the 29er cuz you'll have SO many more parts to choose from. 650b is sort of intriguing but not intriguing enough to sacrifice the amount of parts available for a 29er

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats mate. Make sure to get an 18T for the rear as well. Once your legs get used to SSing you will want that higher gear - unless you ride very hilly terrain over long distances.

it's a personal thing, but I find that I always run 32 by 18 on regular single track - with plenty of climbing. If I have to do a longer ride (40km+) with serious climbing I will throw a 20T on there.

In the end it's up to you - as long as you are having fun ;-)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frame is in...!!!!

Headset, seat clamp, seat post, handlebar, brakes, crank on the way!

Ordering wheelset, tires and the rest next week.!!!

Should be up and running, full karate mode in a couple weeks

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
So i've been thinking on getting a SS, been a XC rider for around 5 years now, rigid, FS, hardtail, pretty much I've done it all except SS so im curius, birthday is coming up and the wife just gave me green light to add another member to the stable. Usually I ride XC races, single tracks, endurance races, pretty much my everyday trail is 80% single track so a SS sounds perfect.

Thinking of buying a decent/budget friendly package, thinking about a soma frame, soma fork, decent wheelset etc, but the big question is, 27.5 or 29? I own only 29ers feel very confortable, im a small dude 5'7", but in my mind a 27.5 SS sounds good, easier to move it, easier to start pedaling get it rolling you know?

What are your thoughts? Any experience?
I had a 26'er SS and it was awesome. I had a SS 29'er and it was awesome. Now I have a 650b and it rules them all for all the reasons you expect. You'll still haul oats, roll over stuff, etc, but w/o the wheel flop and added centrifugal weight of a 29" wheel. I'm not against any wheel size but I've found 650b to be right for MTB.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Frame is in...!!!!

Headset, seat clamp, seat post, handlebar, brakes, crank on the way!

Ordering wheelset, tires and the rest next week.!!!

Should be up and running, full karate mode in a couple weeks
What size frame did you get? Also, have you built it up and ridden it yet? if so, how does it ride and handle?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts