Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put my rear derailleur through some abuse, the hanger too, in the 9 months I rode the 5 Spot. The hangers is true, as far as I can tell and the derailleur aside from some nasty scratches, is fine as well.

Fast forward to the Six Pack I just took for a little spin. I still have a fever and my stomach flue keeps me within 15 minutes of my bathroom, so I just rode around familiar neighborhood urban terrain. Nothing big. I ditched my bike on one manouver as my balance is off. It hit the ground, derailleur side, from zero velocity, I pick it up and ... take a look. It sucked double as I had to walk over 20 minutes back home, barely made it...

DT said that people complained that the derailleur hanger on their frames was too beefy and wanted it more fragile. Well, I hope you guys are happy. I want old school hangers back!

_MK

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,007 Posts
how's your chain length when the sus is fully compressed?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
wasnt there a post not long ago that said the new $20 hangers were made super beefy so they wouldnt bend or break themselves but rather they would toast a $150 der? im so confused! personally i vote for iron so ill never have to worry about it again. a busted rear tri sure is better than a bent or killed hanger any day. just my 2.5 cents.

you could add a few links to ensure the next time ya pound it into the ground the hanger will stay true. thatll work.

oh and have a great new years too mk. boy, am i in a mood or what? must be all these hours im workin. hehe.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the derailleur hanger is made out of stiffer aluminum, which doesn't bend, just shatters like glass. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147184

And the chain length is not an issue. I was in granny up front and somewhere mid range in the rear. My chain length is such that I can't go middle/granny, but I never use that combo, and I conscioiusly made my chain that long.

And an EDIT is in order to my original parapharase of DT. People complained the old hanger was too bendy and wanted a stiffer one.

_MK

·
12,942 Posts
funny, thats my girlfriends main complaint. i dont want my hanger to shatter so i guess she will have to put up with the old one. and my chain comment was a tad bit tounge in cheek pal.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
MK_ said:
And an EDIT is in order to my original parapharase of DT. People complained the old hanger was too bendy and wanted a stiffer one.

_MK
I've got three of the old hangers.

Do I hear $100?

Each, of course!

Slightly related -- but still a hijack, I'm hoping that the great, evil Shimano will buy Rohloff someday, and re-engineer that rear hub to work the way it should, and weigh less than we could realistically hope for. Good bye derailers!

Even cooler if SRAM bought it!

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cactuscorn said:
funny, thats my girlfriends main complaint. i dont want my hanger to shatter so i guess she will have to put up with the old one. and my chain comment was a tad bit tounge in cheek pal.
Right, but your girlfriend would probably prefer a stiffer hanger than a bendy one, right? :D

The chain comment was a response to the artist formerly known as jm.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kosmo said:

Do I hear $100?

Each, of course!

Slightly related -- but still a hijack, I'm hoping that the great, evil Shimano will buy Rohloff someday, and re-engineer that rear hub to work the way it should, and weigh less than we could realistically hope for. Good bye derailers!

I might wait and see how the in-frame gearbox comes along. The extra weight in the middle is better than in the rear and probably easier to work on. Why does Rohloff not work like it should? I know that it takes for ever to break in, like a good season of riding, or something, and yes, it is heavy. What else ails it?

_MK

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
MK_ said:
I might wait and see how the in-frame gearbox comes along. The extra weight in the middle is better than in the rear and probably easier to work on. Why does Rohloff not work like it should? I know that it takes for ever to break in, like a good season of riding, or something, and yes, it is heavy. What else ails it?

_MK
I also like the idea of putting it in the middle of the bike. Nicolai has a few bikes set up that way, but I'm not sure how well they work.

With the strong caveat that I've never had the chance to actually RIDE one, here is what I've heard against the Rohloff:

1. As you mentioned, takes forever to break in.

2. Some weird sounds and feelings in some of the gears.

3. Heavy.

And of course, $$$$, but we're on a forum for pretty expensive bikes here, so ignore that one! :D

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
kosmo said:

Do I hear $100?

Each, of course!

Shimano and Sram have both done internal hubs, neither of which was stupendous (or marketed towards real off road riding, to be fair). Even the sachs 3x7 was nothing fantastic.

Not knowing much about how the rohloff works, I certainly don't have much faith that shimano or sram would do worlds of wonder for it. Both make good products, but neither has made the end all be all shift product, and they've been at it for a while...

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
neveride said:
Shimano and Sram have both done internal hubs, neither of which was stupendous (or marketed towards real off road riding, to be fair). Even the sachs 3x7 was nothing fantastic.

Not knowing much about how the rohloff works, I certainly don't have much faith that shimano or sram would do worlds of wonder for it. Both make good products, but neither has made the end all be all shift product, and they've been at it for a while...
All good points. But hey, it's New Year's Eve. Don't blame a guy for hoping....... ;)

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I want old school hangers back!
Do you think of this ones?

I scored one of the thicker old school hangers at Ebay some weeks ago,probably from an Afterburner or old DHR.Works great,but needed minor modifications to fit my 'Pack.
Shifting is noticable more crisp and feels, well, kinda stiffer,more solid.

Later
RaD

Attachments

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
kosmo said:
All good points. But hey, it's New Year's Eve. Don't blame a guy for hoping....... ;)
Hey, I'm still waiting for the belt drive to work out, so I'll give you the improved rohloff... :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just a thought...

Why not manufacture the entire drive-side drop-out/gear hanger from steel so it can be bent back into place after impact?

It's late here and beer has been consumed...

·
12,942 Posts
a steel dropout/hanger?

Deano said:
Why not manufacture the entire drive-side drop-out/gear hanger from steel so it can be bent back into place after impact?

It's late here and beer has been consumed...
i can tell. hehe.

maybe the hanger but a steel dropout on a alloy frame? thats just silly. isnt it? still, id rather bust a alloy hanger than kill the dropout and i see that happinin as a result of huge hangers and steel bits. i say keep em bendy.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MK_ said:
I've put my rear derailleur through some abuse, the hanger too, in the 9 months I rode the 5 Spot. The hangers is true, as far as I can tell and the derailleur aside from some nasty scratches, is fine as well.

Fast forward to the Six Pack I just took for a little spin. I still have a fever and my stomach flue keeps me within 15 minutes of my bathroom, so I just rode around familiar neighborhood urban terrain. Nothing big. I ditched my bike on one manouver as my balance is off. It hit the ground, derailleur side, from zero velocity, I pick it up and ... take a look. It sucked double as I had to walk over 20 minutes back home, barely made it...

DT said that people complained that the derailleur hanger on their frames was too beefy and wanted it more fragile. Well, I hope you guys are happy. I want old school hangers back!

_MK
By the way your and Tscheezy's failures look, it looks like you need something more 'bendy' as opposed to fragile (or stronger). The beefier hanger shown does not addresses the problem if it's made from the same material (but I guess they aren't the same and the old one is more ductile, which is good) as the weakest part - where MK's and Tscheezy's broke - is still the same thickness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts