Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up the new spec for my new 2010 reign X.

The target goal is under 30lbs!
Spec so far-

5.1s on 240s revolution spokes
Avid elixirs CR 6" rear 8" front
Shimano XT cranks
thomson stem and post
Sunline bars
wellgo mg1 pedals
E13 LG1+ 32tooth
Dura ace cassette
reign x 2010 dhx air
wtb devo saddle ti
Sram X9 pod and derailler
Tires- TBD

I am stuck on the fork decesion, I know if I go with the 36 float RC2 2010 with the new FIT dampner I will make the - 30lbs for sure. I hear good things about the float, but I had an old 36 van R that I hated.

Totem Solo air is 1 lb heavier than the 36 float. I know this is a tough cookie much better suited to the abuse I will be throwing at it, but I dont know if I will get the sub 30 if I take this route.

This bike is being setup as a mini dh and trail/am/light fr bike. I currently have a 66rc2x on my reign x and love it, but it is a boat anchor compared to these two other forks. I am leaning on the totem, (which also has the A2C I am looking for at 565 compared to the 545 36).

Which should I choose? Is the 36 float up to the task or over rated? The sub 30 weight is the target of the whole build. My current reign x sits at 33. It will be so close with the totem to sub 30 it scares me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm going for the same target weight (hopefully lower) using the same frame. And have had to make the same decision.

Anyway, the Totem is extremely overweight, heavier than the Boxxer with a very similar axle to crown. So the bike will feel raked. Taking that route is a no go, especially if you want to climb.

I've got the 2010 Float RC2 FiT. Right now it's lowered to 140mm so I can use them as I wait for Giant to release the frame. But even at 140mm, they feel bottomless and unimaginably smooth. Before I was running PUSH'd coil RS Pike's. And the Fox feels like it's leagues ahead. Not to mention absurdly light and stronger.

And of course, I weighed it. :)

185mm steerer, no starnut, axle included. M3 cable guide not visibly installed, but it's there in the weight.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ps I'm also thinking about the 2010 Reign.I'm riding some steep loamy rocky rooty untamed stuff and am thinking 650-b front and fox talas.I heard the totem 2 step is coming back reengineered.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I have the VanR but just switched out the cartridge to convert it to an RC2. That switch made a world of difference. Float with RC2 will be much nicer than the VanR but not quite as plush feeling.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I just put an 08 rock shox solo air on my new build and it seems pretty nice. Weighs right about the 5 pound mark. definately a good option if you don't like the feeling of a fox.

another option is to wait until aug/sept until the 2010 marz line up comes out. the new marz 66 is supposed to be just above 6 pounds for a coil shock.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wrong forum. My Ti hardtail weighs over 30 lbs though per your question, the Totem sounds like a ridiculous choice for a Reign IMHO...why not a Lyrik? Lyrik coild rocks but sounds like you feel the arbitrary weight of 30 lbs is magical thus rendering it too heavy. However, the newer Fox stuff rocks, air or otherwise

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
climbingbubba said:
I just put an 08 rock shox solo air on my new build and it seems pretty nice. Weighs right about the 5 pound mark. definately a good option if you don't like the feeling of a fox.

another option is to wait until aug/sept until the 2010 marz line up comes out. the new marz 66 is supposed to be just above 6 pounds for a coil shock.
what solo? Lyrik or Totem?

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
FoShizzle said:
what solo? Lyrik or Totem?
crap, lyrik, i need to go to bed.

also to the OP

you don't seem to know which tires to get but if you are trying to go light yet high volume then look in to the schwalbe lineup.

they have all kinds of choices
Nobby nic 2.4 - 670 grams
Fat Albert 2.4 F&/R 750 grams (ill be running these)
Big Betty 2.4 - 850ish grams

and for rims ill be trying the stans flow rims which will save 30 grams per rim than the 5.1's and are supposed to be pretty stiff for their weight. i guess we will see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
bighitboy said:
Building up the new spec for my new 2010 reign X.

The target goal is under 30lbs!
Spec so far-

5.1s on 240s revolution spokes
Avid elixirs CR 6" rear 8" front
Shimano XT cranks
thomson stem and post
Sunline bars
wellgo mg1 pedals
E13 LG1+ 32tooth
Dura ace cassette
reign x 2010 dhx air
wtb devo saddle ti
Sram X9 pod and derailler
Tires- TBD

I am stuck on the fork decesion, I know if I go with the 36 float RC2 2010 with the new FIT dampner I will make the - 30lbs for sure. I hear good things about the float, but I had an old 36 van R that I hated.

Totem Solo air is 1 lb heavier than the 36 float. I know this is a tough cookie much better suited to the abuse I will be throwing at it, but I dont know if I will get the sub 30 if I take this route.

This bike is being setup as a mini dh and trail/am/light fr bike. I currently have a 66rc2x on my reign x and love it, but it is a boat anchor compared to these two other forks. I am leaning on the totem, (which also has the A2C I am looking for at 565 compared to the 545 36).

Which should I choose? Is the 36 float up to the task or over rated? The sub 30 weight is the target of the whole build. My current reign x sits at 33. It will be so close with the totem to sub 30 it scares me.
The fit damper is already in the 36 lineup, the 32 series got the fit for 2010. as for the totem/36 debate, get the one with the a2c the bike was designed for, saving weight isn't worth it if it sacrifices the ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why are you choosing between a 36 and a Totem? The obvious choice for your target weight and also to match the rear would be a 2010 RS Lyrik Solo Air with 170mm travel. That´d be a nice compromise for you!

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Uh, this thread is a little silly trying to get a target weight with a frame that's not even in production yet. You better be getting a small like the prototype...

Anyway, the clear choice is the 36 Float RC2. I have the 09 and it weighed 4.92 lbs on a digi scale.
westman said:
Why are you choosing between a 36 and a Totem? The obvious choice for your target weight and also to match the rear would be a 2010 RS Lyrik Solo Air with 170mm travel. That´d be a nice compromise for you!
Are they going to make this? I thought the Lyric wasn't as stiff as the 36 under braking...

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"And of course, I weighed it."

Could you weigh it again with the scales on a hard surface? Scales on carpet can yield inaccurate results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts