Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Altitude 70 RSL today. Size medium (18").

Did a couple of changes at the shop before taking her home:

>> Kept my old Speedplay Frogs vs the Crank Brother Candy pedals
>> Kept my old SDG saddle vs the Fisik Nisene
>> Kept my Thomson Stem vs the RaceFace Deus SL XC
>> Kept my Profile carbon handlebar vs the RaceFace Atlas AM

Also changed the tires to Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 vs the WTB Wolverine 2.2

First mini ride today and I am in some kinda heaven. This bike replaces my 1995 Altitude T.O. (repainted in 1996 due to flaking paint)....gonna miss the old bird! See pics attached..

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Straight up......

nice looking ride..:cool:
how you finding the straight up geometry? notice you got a long stem on there and saddle right back on the rails. What size frame is that one compared to your last one?
Cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good catch on the seat.

My 1995 Altitude was an 18.5" frame. New one is a medium (18").

Well I've never ridden a full suspension bicycle before yesterday, so a little difficult for me to comment on the geometry vs other full suspension rides...but I was basically choosing between the Altitude and an Ibis Mojo. After testing both bikes I really preferred the feel of the Altittude, especially the suspension action "feel".

When I first got on the bike I did feel a tad cramped, so I slid the seat back a few notches which made a little difference; however, changing the stem really did the trick...I'm not sure what the length of the stock one was, but I think the Thomson on there now is 110 mm (I was running the same stem on my old altitude).

I figure the new Altitude effective top tube length is about a 1/2 inch shorter than the hardtail...and that's why it feels a little more familiar to slide the seat back about 1/2 an inch or so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first serious ride today...bike felt soooo good

but >>> chain suck X2

i hate that...ist there a cure?....or will i always be scared to make the drop shift???

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both times it happened from the middle ring to granny ring.

The conditions were pretty much bone dry. Scraped a lot of paint off!
Good thing that rear triangle isn't carbon.
On my old altitude there is this really cool "staircase" shaped plate
that rocky installed under the chainstay which really worked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sitting in the airport this morning reading Bike Magazine...
They were testing a Salsa Elkaboing with race face deus crankset,
And it had exactly the same problem. Apparently there is not
enough room btwn the chainrings and chainstay so they provide
a spacer which I'm not sure was installed on my bike.
When the testers added the spacer it helped somewhat...
But the real kicker is that when they changed to a Shimano setup
with more space the problem was totally solved.

I can't believe Rocky didn't catch this. Especially considering how
Tight they are with race face...no pun intended.

Too bad my frame had to take a beating. What a joke.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It happened on my SXC70 a few times when I got it first but it hasn't happened since, mind you I don't drop to the granny too often.
I also have a RF Deus on my HT and it has never, ever happened on that. I built that bike up myself from scratch.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I think the Race Face rings have some issues with this when using new chains and new rings, almost like there might be some burrs on the rings, or maybe excessively sharp edges or something. I've had the same thing happen with a new Deus drivetrain.

It shouldn't be a chainline issue as the Shimano direct mount FD is expecting a 50mm chainline, so there's no advantage in fiddling with the chainline to get any other value.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
not a Rocky issue - its the Race Face rings

when new the teeth have real sharp profile/edges, once you get a few miles on them I found it mostly has been eliminated.

Easy fix - Shimano rings...

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
In an ideal world Race Face would throw them in a walnut shell polisher/tumbler before anodizing them to take all the sharp edges off them, but the last iteration of them has a bunch of machining done to them after they are anodized black to expose the shiny aluminium.

Hopefully the new RF rings they showed at Sea Otter has that sort of step in there to reduce the problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So can I just swap out the RF rings for XTR rings? Will they fit? Will this fix it?

Maybe I'll just head back to the shop where I bought it and insist they swap out the crankset...researching the issue on the net it seems that even when folks find a fix, they still experience more chain suck than a shimano drivetrain would offer...

BTW...did you notice the anti-chainsuck device on my old altitude frame (pictured above)?

I've never had good experiences with race face and I pretty much avoid it like the plague.

On this bike i immediately changed out the RF stem and RF handlebar, and I tried to change the RF seatpost with my old syncros ti seat post but it wouldn't fit.

On my first Altitude (1993) the only RF components were cranks and BB...and they creaked so bad! Changed out to syncros BB and it fixed the problem.

My second Altitude (1995)...first one was stolen (damn crackheads)...was outfitted with RF cranks and BB and the creak problem was fixed, luckily it had Shimano xtr rings.
Unfortunately it did have a RF headset and stem...AND THE THING WOULD LOOSEN OFF MID-RIDE...it was freakin freaky! They did some kind of unofficial recall on the headset / stem issue and the components were replaced with a redesigned version. Still never really held tight and i eventually changed to a FSA - thomson set-up and no more problems.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
XTR rings won't fit without a lot of fuss and spacers and grinding as the Shimano cranks use a different approach to the ring spacing and the ring mounting points on the cranks (Shimano - the Microsoft of the bike industry). A set of XT or XTR cranks would be a nice upgrade.

If they just took the rings off and gave the teeth a quick run over with a wire wheel that would likely fix it as well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The good news is Race Face has announced their new Turbine rings for 2010. The "claim" a huge improvement over past rings... I have yet to get my hands on some.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nope... Mine is a mish mash of random stuff. To be honest, I've heard of some chainsuck problems out there, but am unable to ever personally replicate them. I think I'm not big / powerful enough to. But I do know that 9 times out of 10, they go away once the sharp edges of the rings get worn in, just as RockyUphill pointed out...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fair enough...besides...if one was to build a bike from ground up...i'm sure one would choose components that work...ha

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Altitude 70 has the RF Dues cranks and I had allot of shifting issues when I got the bike. The issue has resolved itself after 3-4 rides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My issue was when I was in the middle chain ring, 1st-3rd on the rear.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
If I had to make a guess I'd say it's a combination of very sharp edges on the teeth holding on to the inner edges of the chain plates and the machining marks that add friction to the chain plates as soon as the chain is at an angle during a shift. A couple of rides would be enough to take the edges off and smooth out the tool marks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 83 Posts