Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an all suspension bike under $2500. Not sure if I should get an Enduro or a trail bike. I ride about half bike park and half local trails. Right now I have a 100mm travel XC bike with a coil fork. I do jumps, drops, and tech at bike parks. My current bike is very unsuitable. My hands and fingers feel so numb after each run from rocky trails. The bikes I found are:
Trek Fuel EX 5
Scott Genius 960
Commencal Clash Origin

Any suggestions on what type of bike, and what are some good deals to get now? I'm thinking I want a trail bike more, but the Commencal Clash Origin has better quality suspension and components it might be worth it to get it. Any tips would be helpful.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
Recommendtion, XC or trail? We don't know where you live or the type of terrain or riding you do most. Also how old your current bike is, and if it is a proper size for you. How tall are you, and inseam? What size is your current bike now?

Bikes you mentioned. Of those 3.. me

Trek
Scott
Commencal

Trek has a lifetime warranty and a larger dealer network. For someone who isn't doing there own wrenching, this could be beneficial.

Scott and Commencal 5 yr warranty, which isn't a bad thing.

If you like a Shimano drivetrain Trek
SRAM - Scott, but it has Shimano brakes.
All are 12 speed

The last 25 yrs I've spent 10 with SRAM and 15 with Shimano (9, 10 and 11 speeds). Both have been solid in my experience. I like my current 12 speed SLX (shimano) drive train. I only have one bike now, down from 3.

Frame wise, I don't care for the Commencal. That doesn't mean its bad. Its just not one I prefer. I also don't think it needs a 180mm fork. Hopefully you can demo at least 2 which will help you decide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 6' 1" it's a size small 27..5 wheels. Way too small. It's 3 years old. Inseams is 34.5. The terrain is singletrack, good amount of climbing but steep and technical descents. Idk which I like more, Shimano and Sram don't have much experience with Sran. Also I'm worried x-Fusion suspension shock on the Trek and Scott is crap, what do you think of x fusion is it usable?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm not on any of those bikes, but I have the X-Fusion Pro RL 2 on my Fezzari as well as an X-Fusion McQueen Fork. I'm 225lbs, 5'11" and ride AZ rocky techy trails. The shock is right in the middle, its not ****, its not solid gold. Its a very easy shock to maintain, and the lock out is nice for climbing. The rebound adjustability works, many other shocks in this price range don't. I honestly thought the shock would be the first thing I upgraded, but ended up doing custom wheels instead. That has made the suspension feel so much better, to the point that I don't think I'd get a whole lot more out of the shock be replacing it.

SO in short, its very useable and not junk.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not on any of those bikes, but I have the X-Fusion Pro RL 2 on my Fezzari as well as an X-Fusion McQueen Fork. I'm 225lbs, 5'11" and ride AZ rocky techy trails. The shock is right in the middle, its not ****, its not solid gold. Its a very easy shock to maintain, and the lock out is nice for climbing. The rebound adjustability works, many other shocks in this price range don't. I honestly thought the shock would be the first thing I upgraded, but ended up doing custom wheels instead. That has made the suspension feel so much better, to the point that I don't think I'd get a whole lot more out of the shock be replacing it.

SO in short, its very useable and not junk.
Ok thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.