Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my excellent but now 10yrs old Santa Cruz Tazmon full suspension bike with a new bike. The Tazmon has been awesome, never had any problems, rides ace and handled everything I've thrown at it, as it was my only MTB until my new Vp-Free. The Tazmon's just needs a modern rear shock, but no one does anything that would fit. The bike rides well, but It can kick back on undulating terrain, seems like the rebound is too fast. The current shock is a Risse Racing Terminator 3 way adjustable Air shock, which suspension tuners Mojo and TF tuned will not look at. :cry:

Basically, this new bike will be my XC / Trail / All day Trail bike but also needs to be light enough for 40mile day rides in the Peak district / mountains, be a good climber, efficient to pedal and also happy with small to moderate jumps, drops and fast and/or technical rough rocky descents.

I was originally looking at the Santa Cruz Nomad, but was thinking that that 6.5" rear travel and the 30lbs approx weight maybe a little much. I also, I felt that this option would also overlap my new Santa Cruz VP-Free + Rockshox Totem 2step Air freeride / downhill bike that I've just built.

Therefore now I think I'm looking at something with about 4.5 - 5.5" of airshock rear suspension, that will handle a fork between 130 - 160mm, and which weighs in at approx 28lbs or less.
I'm a burly built bloke at 5'10" and 94kg, so feather light, low weight limit frames are off the agenda.

I've thought of the following Options (size Medium i.e. 17.5 - 18.5"): -

• ·Santa Cruz Nomad
  • ·Santa Cruz Blur LT
  • ·Intense 5.5 EVP or FRO
  • ·Scott Ransom Ltd (Heard reports of frame failures)
  • ·Scott Spark Ltd or 1 (may not be tough enough)
  • ·Ibis Mojo Carbon
  • ·Specialized Enduro SL Carbon (maybe S-Works version)

I'm looking at building it with a combination of SRAM X0 triggers and X0 Carbon rear mech, 07 Shimano XTR front mech and chainset. Formula Oro Bianco or Puro brakes (200/180mm combo). Rockshox Lyrik 2step air, or Fox 32 Talas RLC, or 36 Talas RC2 forks. The wheels will be Hope Pro II hubs, DB spokes and Mavic disc rims and Maxxis tyres. Will of course feature the excellent GravityDropper Seatpost. :)

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Anyone tried or own any of the above ?

Comments about build quality, bearings, ride, service, durability, mud clearence would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Rich Slaney (UK).

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Santa Cruz Heckler

Why not stick with what you like? If you have such fond affection for the Tazmon...then go with the current equivalent...the Heckler. They have been redesigned for 2007 with more travel and a stiffer swingarm (though the pre-2006 ones are still a sweet ride and can probably be had for a bargain).

http://bikemag.com/freshproduce/07-Heckler-preview/

That's what I'd do if I was in your shoes :thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, just so you don't have to change your avitar, I'd stay with the BLT. I'm beginning to think that the newer bearings and lubing the two lower pivot axles was the main culprit in early problems at the lower link. I know that doesn't sound like a resounding vote of confidence in the BLT, but we got a really bad initial impression of the linkage bearings on the BLT at our shop. One guy still has his with the lower pivot axles lubed with antiseize, and he's humming along fine. I think that binding pivot axle problem was the root cause of the BLT's bearing problems early on. I'd definitely vote for the Intense 5.5 also. You don't sound like a Nomad guy from your description, so I'd pass on it. On the Scott, I'm not high on that seriously proprietary rear shock on that bike. Apparently you're not one who goes through bikes like Kleenex, and if you think finding a replacement shock for your Tazmon was hard...well, you see the problem. If you go Scott, go with the aluminum frame. We sell Spec bikes, but the Enduro SL is getting too proprietary in its component selection also for me personally, but I'd think the '07 Stumpjumper FSR would be a better choice by your description. It's rear shock is a Spec shock but can ultimately be replaced by an aftermarket model...and it uses a conventional front fork. That one looks like a very good competitor to the BLT or 5.5.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crisillo said:
Think about adding the Yeti 575 to the list... :D
Yeah, I did think about the 575 but I've seen several pictures and discussions where the strange flexy carbon seatstay pivot thingies have simply snapped in two, causing nasty crashes and damage:nono: . As per usual this may have been a one off faulty component or that the plonker was hucking a 20ft road gap on it instead of a proper Freeride / DH rig.

So, I guess....Tell me more about the 575 as well. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
richslaney said:
Yeah, I did think about the 575 but I've seen several pictures and discussions where the strange flexy carbon seatstay pivot thingies have simply snapped in two, causing nasty crashes and damage:nono: . As per usual this may have been a one off faulty component or that the plonker was hucking a 20ft road gap on it instead of a proper Freeride / DH rig.

So, I guess....Tell me more about the 575 as well. :thumbsup:
I have only seen one case of that.. and it was a disbonding of the pivot... the carbon pivot actually didn't break.... and in this case the rider didn't crash... I don't know all Yeti failure cases of course...

I weigh about 220 lbs and my 575 handles all I can give it..maybe I need to get more aggressive with it :p
It is a very versatile frame... I have seen builds around the 26 lbs with no "ultra light parts", but most are around 28-29 lbs.... after you see how much the frame can take...the builds keep getting burlier :D.. mine weighs close to 31 lbs

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently switched to an Ellsworth Moment (6") which I love to bits:D , even a lightish build will struggle to meet 28lbs tho:rolleyes: . Freeborn have them at £1399 I think which ain't bad. Mine is around 30lbs and have happily done upto 9hr rides in the lakes, the odd race, Seven Staines, Wales, Peaks etc and then two weeks gravity work in the in Les Arc.

I started with a light build and now as I am pushing the limits a bit I'm looking at the Lyrik fork you mentioned. Getting closer to your VP free again tho. As is the Ransom come to mention it.

There is the Epiphany (5.5") which could be more lightweight and appropriate!. Not sure if a Lyrik would be so great with it from what I here tho!, in fact Lyrik may generally be a bit much for most 5" trail bikes!!!:rolleyes:

Just me two peneth worth

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Another UK rider here so know the conditions you will ride in...

If I werent swapping my s-works enduro for the non carbon enduro sl then the next bike that really fits your bill (and mine) is the 07 orange 5, single pivot for maintenence costs.
The enduro Sl seems to promise the lot at the moment, but it's not shipping till the next few weeks and quite a few shops in the UK are getting test bikes.
Those new 07 Hecklers and Superlights also seem perfect too. So many choices.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fsrxc said:
He's on a VP free now, can't go back to single pivot. :)
You've got it my friend.:thumbsup: The VP-Free is sooooo smooth, gotta love the VPP action;)
Plus to top it off, Santa Cruz now do a full free (other than postage) bearing replacement scheme. :D

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
162 Posts
richslaney said:
You've got it my friend.:thumbsup: The VP-Free is sooooo smooth, gotta love the VPP action;)
Plus to top it off, Santa Cruz now do a full free (other than postage) bearing replacement scheme. :D

Thanks,
Rich
I wanted a VPF and BLT, but as I only have space for one bike I got a Nomad. As you've already got the VPF I'd get the BLT.

Sorted. :)

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
With light components you could build a 32.2 pound Versus Blitz II. The bike climbs like a goat & can definatly handle anything you were to confront with it. All pivots have needle bearings so there is no bearing flex & zerk fittings for lubrication & maintainance. :cornut:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Getting closer to a short list to test.

Thanks for the Replies so far. :thumbsup: I've now adding the Yeti 575 and the Cove Hustler to my list.

So far my fav's are:-

• Santa Cruz Blur LT / Intense 5.5 EVP (very similar)
  • Ibis Mojo Carbon
  • Cove Hustler
  • Yeti 575

Has anyone tried any of the above, ideally someone who's tried several of the above to give a true comparison.

As I said, I really wanted the Nomad but only really need 5 - 5.5" suspension and ideally a weight from 25 - 28lbs. Don't forget I've also got a 38lb Santa Cruz VP-Free with Rockshox Totem 2 Step Air forks and dual front ring / e-13 DRS Chainguide setup for the silly stuff.;)

Thanks so far.:D

Rich. (UK)

·
Registered
10 Posts
richslaney said:
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my excellent but now 10yrs old Santa Cruz Tazmon full suspension bike with a new bike. The Tazmon has been awesome, never had any problems, rides ace and handled everything I've thrown at it, as it was my only MTB until my new Vp-Free. The Tazmon's just needs a modern rear shock, but no one does anything that would fit. The bike rides well, but It can kick back on undulating terrain, seems like the rebound is too fast. The current shock is a Risse Racing Terminator 3 way adjustable Air shock, which suspension tuners Mojo and TF tuned will not look at. :cry:

Basically, this new bike will be my XC / Trail / All day Trail bike but also needs to be light enough for 40mile day rides in the Peak district / mountains, be a good climber, efficient to pedal and also happy with small to moderate jumps, drops and fast and/or technical rough rocky descents.

I was originally looking at the Santa Cruz Nomad, but was thinking that that 6.5" rear travel and the 30lbs approx weight maybe a little much. I also, I felt that this option would also overlap my new Santa Cruz VP-Free + Rockshox Totem 2step Air freeride / downhill bike that I've just built.

Therefore now I think I'm looking at something with about 4.5 - 5.5" of airshock rear suspension, that will handle a fork between 130 - 160mm, and which weighs in at approx 28lbs or less.
I'm a burly built bloke at 5'10" and 94kg, so feather light, low weight limit frames are off the agenda.

I've thought of the following Options (size Medium i.e. 17.5 - 18.5"): -

• ·Santa Cruz Nomad
  • ·Santa Cruz Blur LT
  • ·Intense 5.5 EVP or FRO
  • ·Scott Ransom Ltd (Heard reports of frame failures)
  • ·Scott Spark Ltd or 1 (may not be tough enough)
  • ·Ibis Mojo Carbon
  • ·Specialized Enduro SL Carbon (maybe S-Works version)

I'm looking at building it with a combination of SRAM X0 triggers and X0 Carbon rear mech, 07 Shimano XTR front mech and chainset. Formula Oro Bianco or Puro brakes (200/180mm combo). Rockshox Lyrik 2step air, or Fox 32 Talas RLC, or 36 Talas RC2 forks. The wheels will be Hope Pro II hubs, DB spokes and Mavic disc rims and Maxxis tyres. Will of course feature the excellent GravityDropper Seatpost. :)

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Anyone tried or own any of the above ?

Comments about build quality, bearings, ride, service, durability, mud clearence would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Rich Slaney (UK).
================================================================

Hi Rich;

Your question sounds very interesting, once a some moths ago I had the same problem....Choose the best for my money!!!

Some of your models, are part of my list as well....Blur...Nomad....Reign....so on.

Face on that I've choose the SC Nomad....'w/ NO DOUBTS....

Blur is very good, but far one for "the one bike".....

I never tryied the 575, but I had a opportunity to ride beside one and sound very familiar with the Blur...but I prefer the Blur in that case.

Beside the frame question, you componets seems that your are looking for some "all mountain/freeride" and to reach this combination, I can not see another way out of NOMAD!!!

I've bought this bike a 3 months and still surprise me....stable....sex and responsive...

Go to NOMAD and enjoy!!!Also about the forks.....iun my opinion go for the FOX 36 RC2....stiff and it is amazing...Before I was Marzocchi fan, but now......I think no more!!!Confuse company with a lot wrong info about their products....

The match between DHX and 36 is amazing!!

I hope that info helps...

See you!!

Dek

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dek said:
================================================================
Blur is very good, but far one for "the one bike".....
Thanks Dek, but if you look at my post I also have a shiny new 8.5" / 7" travel Santa Cruz VP-Free for Freeride and Downhill, so I don't need a 'one bike' stable.

If I was only buying one bike as a compromise, then I'd have the Nomad without shadow of a doubt. Thing is my double ring equipped VP-free only weighs 38lbs complete, has Totem 2 step forks which can be dropped to 135mm travel, so that will handle more than the Nomad could for only a little bit more weight. The VP-free is the bike i'd always choose to play on, freeride on and do any serious donwhill on.

What I'm looking for is a tough, lightweight Trail bike with no more than 5.5" travel, and no heavier than 28lbs. But, saying that, I'm also not looking for a featherweight, fragile, limited rider weight XC race bike (like a Scott Spark).

Many thanks so far, keep the options coming. :thumbsup:

Rich

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.