Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Better Half has been looking around for a new bike, and when I encouraged her to take a look at the new Watchman that our LBS had, she instantly fell in love. The test ride sealed the deal, and in a move that was pretty uncharacteristic for her, she said "I'll take it" just like that (she's not an impulse buyer). We did a little riding on some groomed singletrack around town tonight and she was grinning like a kid.

I took a little spin on it as well. If I didn't already have a Blackborow, I'd be all over this bike. It has super fun geo and a really 'sporty' feel. I could see throwing some 27.5+ wheels on it for the summer and have plenty of fun on this bike all year.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
What's the story with the "watchman" name and the watch on the stem?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Beauty of a bike. I haven't seen that color since the kid from down at the end of the street from me in ~1987 got his new Mongoose freestyle bike.

Cool then. Cool now.

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the story with the "watchman" name and the watch on the stem?
We've been trying to figure that out. I know their other bikes - the Lorax and Hayduke, obviously come from book characters so we figured their fattie name must be a similar reference, but the only 'Watchman' connection we can find is the DC superhero series "Watchmen." Not convinced that was it though.

The watch on the stem cap was just a nice touch that our LBS put on there.

Cool then. Cool now.
Yeah, it's a sweet color. Dig the native northwestern motif on the top tube as well.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
The watchman is the dude on top of a totem pole, look at the graphics on the top tube. At least that's what the owner told me when I picked mine up.

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The watchman is the dude on top of a totem pole, look at the graphics on the top tube. At least that's what the owner told me when I picked mine up.
Of course! Can't believe I missed that connection. Thanks. :thumbsup:

"The Watchmen are known to have supernatural powers, and from their position they look out in several directions to keep watch over the village and out to sea. They protect those within the dwelling by warning the Chief of any approaching danger."

Northwest Tribal Art Symbols

·
Registered
148 Posts
Awesome. The grin on her face says it all.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I was hoping it was a reference to "All Along the Watchtower" but no. But I stumbled on this.

The final verse of the song is referenced in Chapter 10 of the graphic novel Watchmen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We rode for a couple hours yesterday morning - she really likes her Watchman. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was hoping it was a reference to "All Along the Watchtower" but no. But I stumbled on this.

The final verse of the song is referenced in Chapter 10 of the graphic novel Watchmen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen
If you haven't read Alan Moore's "Watchmen", you should. I could not recommend it more highly. I'm not a graphic novel fan but I think it's one of the best fiction books of the past few decades. The movie's not nearly as good as the book but better than it gets credit for as well.

Also, I really dig this bike. It's similar to an ICT, except is has a 177mm rear end and a 121mm BB shell.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I've wanted one of these since I saw it at Angry Catfish Bicycles earlier this year and now I want it even more. I would say I hope your wife enjoys the ride, but it's obvious she is and how could she not.

@Hiro11 it's probably more like the Wednesday (for reasons of hub size and tire accommodation where both are to run a 100mm Bluto) than the ICT, but I could be wrong since I haven't compared geos. It should be like the Salsa Blackborrow or new Mukluks. Tim Krueger, formerly of Salsa, along with his wife started the company not too long ago, Jan '15?. The Hayduke was out last June? and the Watchman this past fall. They donate profits to bike causes for crissake, we should all go buy one.

Bdundee knows his Advocate names and also alluded to a 26+ possibly in the works... AFAIK he's right, I read an interview with Tim about his new venture where he answered the questions about the name origins and that was the response.

The other thing I like is that Adam Turman has drawn the graphics for the Lorax. If you don't know of Adam Turman, you should check him out.

I'm not personally a fan of press fit BBs, but I'll make an exception for this frame. I want gray.

@smithhammer and bdundee
Did either of you inquire about the rigid fork? Cost of the fork?

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts