Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new chain after racing on it for most of the fall series, many trail rides, and a couple muddy endourance event. I figured it was time. However, I rode it for the first time last Saturday and the chain kept skipping on me. At first I thought it was a rear derailluer adjustment issue, but the chain wasn't wandering up and down the cassette or ghost shifting, it was simply skipping teeth when I mashed the pedals even moderately hard. It happened more in the small and middle rings out back, not so much on the 32 tooth ring.

Is my cassette just toast? I didn't hae this problem with the old chain. I only replaced it as a 'preventative maintenance' type of thing. Should I re-install the old chain and see if it fixes it, or do I need to eat the cost of a new cassette?

·
bang
1,290 Posts
it depends on how worn the chainrings and cassette is. i've replaced only my chain with no issues. maybe you waited too long to replace your chain? how old is your cassette? has it been through a couple of chains befor this, or is this the first new chain you've used with it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chain that I just took off was the first that this cassette had ever seen. They where installed at the same time. The cassette is now maybe 6 months old, and I ride/race quite a bit. I think you're right that I may have just waited to long to swap chains.

Bummer, the old set-up was working great too.

I've got a 12hr race next weekend and gotta have my rig running perfect before then. I think I'm just gonna suck it up and get a new cassette. Maybe put the old set-up on my 'mud bike', and keep the race rig equipped with new parts I can rely on. I'd hate to snap that old chain after just a few laps next weekend.

Now the question is, should I go ahead and pick up a new 990 cassette, or buy my buddy's new take-off XT one for cheap?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.