Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the new Pearl White 6.6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel. The Ti spring and black Race Face Atlas Cranks will be here next week. As it sits it weighs 34.5 lbs. Pretty nice for this bike. I will give it a whirl tomorrow to see how she does.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Man, if Jesus were to ask for a MTB this Christmas yours would be missing come Sunday! That bike is thee nicest bike I have ever seen.

Now, get out there and get it dirty and tell us all about it! :D

Keep in mind the ride of your Uzzi and 6 Pack as you enter your impressions please, Im looking to hear if the bike feels light-duty DH/FR capable.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Wow!

Merry Christmas aappling72! That's a F**king nice bike! excuse my french. :eek:

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Wow

You really are the man! Found time to ship out my Christmas present AND get that put together. Damn

That sure is one fine bike you got there!! Nice work.
Look forward to hearing about the ride characteristics.

BTW, what happened to the fork that was on the uzzi?

Later
Booner

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
boone said:
You really are the man! Found time to ship out my Christmas present AND get that put together. Damn

Later
Booner
Still got it. It's going on my new DEMO 8 that will be here next week. I celebrate Christmas all week long. JK!! :D :D

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
n10'sGuy said:
aappling72 Check your PM's
Just checked them. It's crazy with christmas and all. I just hit you back. I accidentally hit submit, so the rest is in the second PM

·
Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
139 Posts
CCDB...option from Intense?

just curious, is the Cane Creek Double Barrel an option instead of the FOX? If so, do you order through your LBS?

Sweet bike btw, love the pearl white... my Tracer and 5.5 are pearl white. Working on a pw 6.6.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
peachy-B said:
No it's not an option. I wish! Aaapling72's got a money tree in his backyard that's all. :D

Nice!!!!
I obviously forgot to water that tree, because it doesn't seem to have much left on it. Looks like these bikes are gonna be it for a while. As soon as I get my DEMO 8 built, for my sanity, I need to take a hiatus from buying and selling gear. I may have given Jenson a run for their money this year. JK of course. But, Fortunately I've been able to break even on most everything I've bought and sold, not to mention clearing out old parts and other crap in my garage on ebay. I'll post a review soon. Merry Christmas Everybody!!!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Very nice Ashley...very nice indeed.

I'm very close to dialing in my CCDB. I now know what you've been raving about. It truly smooths out rockgardens. The rear wheel just feels glued to the ground giving you so much more control over the bike. I, however, will need a softer spring as I have the High Speed Compression almost all the way open (1/2 turn in). I use a 450# with my DHX but opted for a 500# on the CCDB since that is the softest CC had at the time. Hopefully they have softer springs in stock now.

On a side note: PUSH is releasing the production mods for the DHX-C in about a week. Their mods will totally change the DHX, for the better of course. This may be a good contender for the ultimate shock.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SCUBAPRO said:
Very nice Ashley...very nice indeed.

I'm very close to dialing in my CCDB. I now know what you've been raving about. It truly smooths out rockgardens. The rear wheel just feels glued to the ground giving you so much more control over the bike. I, however, will need a softer spring as I have the High Speed Compression almost all the way open (1/2 turn in). I use a 450# with my DHX but opted for a 500# on the CCDB since that is the softest CC had at the time. Hopefully they have softer springs in stock now.

On a side note: PUSH is releasing the production mods for the DHX-C in about a week. Their mods will totally change the DHX, for the better of course. This may be a good contender for the ultimate shock.
As much as PUSH may do to make a great shock out of the DHX, it will always be valved for, or a compromise reached, for a specific type of terrain. That's why pro racers have mechanics tuning their suspension for each course based on condition and speed of terrain. But, with the CCDB, per Chris Herndon( pro rider for Specialized and Cane Creek) he had the shock set up the same way on every course with the possible small exception of a low speed rebound or compression adjustment to suit. No revalving, no re shim stacking, just a screwdriver and hex nut and your off. To me, as good a job that PUSH does, and they do I've heard, it will never be able to be the perfect shock for every terrain application, unless Darren himself can come and re-valve it for your weekend ride selections. So, I still have to give the CCDB the #1 slot based on that alone not to mention the other performance attributes. Glad you're liking it though. It just gets better. Get that other spring and it will really shine.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
boone said:

Later
Booner
Booner - Are you getting the Uzzi? Kinda wierd if you are since you just sold your RFX to another one of my riding friends down here in GA.

Merry Christmas ya'll :D

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Lookin foward for those reports boooy! And YES, a Merry Christmas to all from the perfect riding weather in "The OC" of SoCal (about 75deg today) but with no bike! :eek:

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6.6 1st ride review!!

Wow! The bike delivered. I didn't get a chance to ride it with the DHX-A because I sold it as new before the frame ever got here. So to maintain integrity on ebay I couldn't bring myself to even ride the DHX-Air for comparison sakes. Nonetheless, the Cane Creek DB didn't let me down on the 6.6 either. After riding it on the Uzzi, I kind of knew what to expect. Nothing but butter. Super smooth, great pedaling, tracks like taffy on your wheels, went off a couple 4 foot drops on the ride and super controlled for the rear end. The bike cornered very well, and was very stiff. I hit the pedals on a couple of bigger roots due to the lower BB height, but that's nothing that I can't adjust my riding to. I would rather have that for bike stability and lower center of gravity than not. Rear tire clearance will probably only allow a 2.35. A 2.5 would be pushing it I think. I think the Z1 fits this bike really good with the E13 reducer cup and FSA bearing combo, but I am thinking of trying a 66SL on it to see what that does to the geo and feel of the bike. Although the white Z1 would be missed. If you are toying bewteen the Nomad, 6 pack, and the 6.6. I've ridden them all and IMO this bike has everything I was looking for. Great trail feel, great cornering, lightweight for it's purpose, and supple over the small stuff at speed. the Nomad was too raked with the 66 on it, the 6 pack, IMO, just never felt supple enough for me on the small stuff, even after trying different shocks with various settings. This bike will really make anyone looking for the one bike very happy. The verdict is still out as to whether the 66 or Z1 is the better fork for me, but as for the bike itself the differences are subtle, but I think enhance the performance of this bike. It is a confidence inspriring bike that really allows you to ride at and beyond your level. It gets my vote for favorite bike for it's category. The Specialized DEMO 8/9 get's my vote for best riding FR/DH bike. Merry Christmas.

P.S. If I didn't cover something you wanted to hear about, reply and I'll try to answer your questions.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks aapplingBLING72, I've been waiting for your replies and ride report all week and esp today. I been worring about the geometry, and the handling of the 6.6, the angles on paper look kinda steep for what I was hoping to get. What I really want is a bike between the 6 Pack and the Uzzi VPX. With all the pedaling and plushness of the Uzzi and the weight and handling of the Pack. (I didnt mind the handling of the VPX at all, just wanted a lighter version)

I have allready ordered the small 6.6 from Brian and I have already been thinking, "well, I can sell it as an almost new never built up frame on ebay". My mind likes to play tricks on me worring so much about the handling. My friend just road his for the first time yesterday and mentioned to feels abit scetchy but he is used to a 40 pound Bullit with a Shiver fork and 2.5-2.7 Minions on the bike and now he has a set of 2.35 Blue Groves so that alone can make a bike feel different.

Now to your ride, is the geometry slack enough for the light duty DH/FR days along with the local drops and trail obsticales that are so fun to hit?

Thanks for posting your impressions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow....

aappling72 said:
Here is the new Pearl White 6.6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel. The Ti spring and black Race Face Atlas Cranks will be here next week. As it sits it weighs 34.5 lbs. Pretty nice for this bike. I will give it a whirl tomorrow to see how she does.
That is a nice build !! I love pearl-white w/ white forks. Im waiting for my 6.6 (pearl-white too ! ) to arrive. I had hard time choosing from 6.6 / 6pack / uzzi / nomad / & spec.trail. I wanted the bike that can handle some DH abuse yet still ridable all day, & after hearing your impressions, Im now confident than ever that I made the right choice !!

As for the rear shock, might consider coil for mine too. It seems dhxA is not good enough for hard hits on a DH course ?? :confused:

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Nice

Glad to hear the 6.6 delivered as predicted!
Sounds like a great ride!

Ssinga, yeah I am gettiing applings Uzzi. No it is not that weird because the rfx was way to big for me. The uzzi is a medium :p Also I am still in search of one bike for all purposes. All "my" purposes, which are probably different than the next guys "one" bike purposes.

So, I am testing out the two bikes pictured below! If you want to talk more PM me. I don't want to hijack this thread....it's too beautiful :D

Nice job on the build up appling

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts