Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frame arrived yesterday. Stayed up until 2am building it. Lemme know what you think! I expected it to look great, but I was shocked at how gorgeous the frame is.

Pike Team fork
XM321 rims w/ DT/Hugi FR rear hub and Abbah front hub
Chris King headset
RF Atlas cranks
HFX9 carbon brakes
X.0 rear der/XT front dr
X.0 shifters
EC70 MonkeyBar
Titec Blockhead stem
Thomson seatpost
WTB Laser V saddle
990 cassette/99 chain

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
that is a really sweet setup. Be sure to update us on how it rides with the Pike team up front...something i have been thinking about.

BTW, how much do you weigh and what level of rdiing are you comfortable doing on that bike? I am almost 200lbs and would love a lightweight long-travel aggressive XC bike...and I''ve heard varying opinions on how the 575 would suit me.

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from a 2 hr ride on some local singletrack, so I can give you my initial impressions.

For reference, I'm 210#, and moved from a San Andreas DHS w/ 6" travel in the rear. The SA was a great bike, and would mow over just about anything in its path. I found it made me a bit of a lazy rider when riding technical stuff & downhills, but that made it alot of fun! ;) The downside was climbing or out-of-the-saddle cranking. A great bike, but not the most efficient for either, which made it a bit of a chore on my local (steep) trails.

Now my impressions of the Yeti and the Pike:
The 575 is stiff and efficient. This was made clear to me by the fact that I was able to clean rocky climbs I'd never even gotten close to cleaning before, and use higher gears than I would normally use everywhere else. A+ there.

No problems whatsoever with the agressive stuff. I searched out a few tough rock gardens just to test this out, and had no problems. One item of note, though: The fact that it is stiffer and more XC-ish than my DHS did cause me to have one pretty big endo in a steep, downhill rock garden. Remember my comment about laziness in my riding style? Well, I do have to pay a bit more attention with this bike. (I'm not sure what you're riding now, so your mileage may vary.) That is not to say that it can't handle the abuse, though.

The Pike is a bit tall for the 575 fully extended, at least for tight singletrack. I felt the front washing in one dry and dusty section, so I dialed it down to 130mm and that solved the problem. I like the bump absorption and stifness of the pike, and the "coosh coosh" sound of the waste gate as you bang over roots is pretty fun, too. ;)

Long and short? I'm extremely happy I bought this frame, and would recommend it to a fellow clydesdale.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the review. Sucks that you ate it on your maiden voyage, but at least you know you're not some poseur who wussyfoots throught the trails ;)

Do you run a riser stem? It's hard to tell from your pic...maybe a reason for your front end being a bit too light?

Do you think that the frame is better suited for 130mm travel? I am curious if 150mm throws off the geometry too much.

Thanks

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Pressure?

How much pressure you running in your shock? I'm 205# and even at 225 in the shock and the stiffest pro pedal setting, I'm getting more bob than I'd like. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with my 575 as I'm also cleaning things I wouldn't even try before both up and down. Any advice?

Thanks,
Fischman

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fischman said:
How much pressure you running in your shock? I'm 205# and even at 225 in the shock and the stiffest pro pedal setting, I'm getting more bob than I'd like. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with my 575 as I'm also cleaning things I wouldn't even try before both up and down. Any advice?

Thanks,
Fischman
I'm running exactly 200#, and only feel bob when I'm out of the saddle. If I look down while I'm pedaling along on flat ground, I can see the link actuating, but I guess my arse isn't sensitive enough to notice. I think my experience is relative, though, since I came from a bike with a high, single pivot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soulfly_NYC said:
Thanks for the review. Sucks that you ate it on your maiden voyage, but at least you know you're not some poseur who wussyfoots throught the trails ;)

Do you run a riser stem? It's hard to tell from your pic...maybe a reason for your front end being a bit too light?

Do you think that the frame is better suited for 130mm travel? I am curious if 150mm throws off the geometry too much.

Thanks
It's a 90mm long, 6deg rise stem. I think I'll switch spacers and drop the stem 5mm, and see what that does for me.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It might also be the front tire as well, size, air pressure and such. I run a high 2" riser bar and a 0 rise stem-I have until recently been running 2.35 Minion tires. If you didnt state the fact that you just came off a DH type bike I might have mentioned that you might be riding at a faster speed than before and that might want to push the front wheel out of a turn esp if your using smallish tires with high pressure. I havent had any washing-out problems with my setup. Sometimes with new bikes comes new riding technics. Nice lookin bike BTW!

·
Registered
17 Posts
ooooh same as mine

nearly the same setups amine, except i have crossmax xl wheels and magura FR brakes.

IMO the PIKE is perfect for this bike, i ran talas and vanillas before and i couldnt believe how flexy they were after i put the pikes on.

I ride mine almost constantly in 140mm setting and with 170pounds pressure in the back...however i weigh about 170 pounds.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Amaner,

How do you like the Crankbrothers Mallet pedals?

I just ordered my Enduro 20 and need to buy some good trailbike pedals.

Are they noticeably heavy for long rides?

Is the platform an advantage over the eggbeaters for aggressive riding?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like the Mallet C pedals, since I can ride clipped-in when I want, then clip out and use them like platforms in rock gardens. They are quite heavy (something like 560g?), but I can't say I notice the weight over the Candy SL's I also own. I choose to use the Mallets more often than the Candys simply for the larger platform.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cool, I am thinking about getting a pair with my 575...but I was told that they may be a bit of overkill for aggressive XC type riding.

...to give you an idea, I am currently riding in clip/pedals. What kind of shoes do you use? do they work well with the mallets?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
soulfly_NYC said:
Cool, I am thinking about getting a pair with my 575...but I was told that they may be a bit of overkill for aggressive XC type riding.

...to give you an idea, I am currently riding in clip/pedals. What kind of shoes do you use? do they work well with the mallets?
I'm using 661 Attacks, I think... They're pretty standard mtb shoes, with three velcro straps. Anyway, they seem to work just fine with the Mallets. No issues.

BTW, I take back what I said above about the 140mm setting on the Pike being too high for the 575. Since I found the right stem/bar combo (for me, at least), I've left the Pike at 140mm.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Combo?

Don't keep us waiting, so what's the secret bar/stem combo. I'm planning on putting a Pike on my 575.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mtnfiend said:
Don't keep us waiting, so what's the secret bar/stem combo. I'm planning on putting a Pike on my 575.
90mm, 6 deg rise stem with one 5mm spacer under and an Easton low rise bar. I might try a high rise bar this evening and see how that feels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.