Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm loving my 575 more and more.

Only trouble is it has an odd little sound. It sounds like an old school square tapered spindle that has been worn and doesn't fit the cranks quite right. Just a little metallic clicking sound...

It only happens when I'm pedaling, and seems to usually happen when I'm climbing a gentle grade, when there is certainly firm pressure on the cranks, but not necessarily on a super steep or rough climb.

It never happens when I'm not pedaling. I'm 95% certain the noise is coming from the bottom bracket / crank area. I wouldn't rule out the suspension linkages, and I suppose the pedals might be suspect (though the pedals have never done this before - I've had them for a while).

So both the LBS and I have checked everything at least twice. Neither of us can figure out what the culprit is. Is there a particular piece or part on the 08 575 that is known for this sort of thing? Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?

I've got a large 575 with the race kit & aluminum stays if that helps any.

Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
architectx said:
So, I'm loving my 575 more and more.

Only trouble is it has an odd little sound. It sounds like an old school square tapered spindle that has been worn and doesn't fit the cranks quite right. Just a little metallic clicking sound...

It only happens when I'm pedaling, and seems to usually happen when I'm climbing a gentle grade, when there is certainly firm pressure on the cranks, but not necessarily on a super steep or rough climb.

It never happens when I'm not pedaling. I'm 95% certain the noise is coming from the bottom bracket / crank area. I wouldn't rule out the suspension linkages, and I suppose the pedals might be suspect (though the pedals have never done this before - I've had them for a while).

So both the LBS and I have checked everything at least twice. Neither of us can figure out what the culprit is. Is there a particular piece or part on the 08 575 that is known for this sort of thing? Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?

I've got a large 575 with the race kit & aluminum stays if that helps any.

Thanks!
cable from front derailleur hitting crank as it goes by? I had to bend mine once to move it out of the way...just something to check

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I got the same kit, and got the same noise. I determined it was coming from the rear hub. I called Yeti and reported this, but they said they haven't heard anything about it from anyone else. I took the freehub body off and added some grease, that quietened it down a little.

I got the rebuild instructions off the DT swiss site, but it seemed like too much trouble to mess with.

What I did to verify it was the hub, was to take a wheel of another bike and see if I still had the sound.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slcpunk said:
cable from front derailleur hitting crank as it goes by? I had to bend mine once to move it out of the way...just something to check
Perhaps - I'll check that tonight. Thanks.

Dangeruss said:
XT cranks? Check the bolts on the non drive side crank arm where it clamps onto the splined shaft.
Yes, they're XT. I've checked the bolts, so has the LBS. We're both confident they're okay (that was among the first things we did).

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
It could be the freehub body, if you sprint on the flat does it also make the noise?

I'm thinking along the lines: Only happens under loading, no noise when coasting..Might be a sticky pawl or a something else not quite jiving in the freehub body.

I had a similar problem on my 24" BMX and in that case it was a bad bearing in the freewheel.

Thanks to oldskoolbiker for jogging the memory cells.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Can you tell it's a Friday afternoon and I'm bored at work ;)

Looking at the exploded hub diagram I'd think a likely culprit could be Part #9: Needle cage, complete. If one of those needle bearings is catching then it would cause a click.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does it happen in every gear?
Mine did this too, but it was because I took the cranks from my old bike and put them on the new 575. The middle chainring had a spot that caused the clicking sound. A new middle ring fixed the issue. I know yours is a new bike, but take a look at your chainrings for any abnormalities. Long shot, but a possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been struggling to find the source of a similar noise on my 08' with a carbon rear.

I swear it sounds like it's coming from the cassette/freehub. I've got new xtr wheels and a new xtr cassette.

My LBS thinks it might be the main pivot, but I'm going to grease up the splines and reinstall the cassette before I tear anything else apart.

I do a lot of small gear climbing, and it is most noticable in the granny gear under heavy load.

I'll report back soon...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have an 06 model 575, had the same type of noise. LBS went through everything, replaced cranks bottom brackets, seat post, called yeti and they said the same thing no other complaints/ finally did a test hold bike out to the side and push on pedal as though trying to flex the frame, heard the click. finally got yeti to send new rear triangle and problem solved. heard thru the bike grapevine they had a bad shipment of these from tiawan., as i was not the only one to have this problem.

·
EDR
10,574 Posts
if you still think it's comming from BB area an easy fix is to remove the crankarms, remove the BB cups, clean and regrease the cups and BB threads and re-install. My '05 with RF BB would click every few months. It just needed cleaned/greased each time and the click went away.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I tore my 575 apart several times trying to find a click/creak sound it was making. I was sure it was the crankset or the pivots. Turned out to be the seat post clamp. Cleaned it and swiped some grease on the part of the clamp that contacts the seat post tube and the noise went away.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, thanks for all of the ideas and input here.

We (me and the LBS) have done everything recommended herein to no avail. I think the shop owner (best wrench in the house) is going to pull the rear triangle off the bike Friday so he can reassemble the pivots.

Any other ideas in the meantime?

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.