Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back into riding about a year ago (after a 10 year absence from any real riding). Bought a Stumpy Expert at the time, thought it was the "be all end all". Rode a bit, started not liking a few things. So...

I'd been eyeing the 575 and the Nomad for a while now. Couldn't test ride either one locally. Then a fellow just had to have my Stumpy, so I sold it. Went to my local shop (Suck Creek Cycles, Chattanooga) - they loaned me a sweet demo bike and got in touch with Yeti.

Here we are about two or three weeks later and I took home a beautiful 575 (in Pewter, thanks for the color input recently) last night. Lots going on with the kids last night, so nothing but a quick suspension tune (read "guess") and a few trips up and down the driveway. The bike felt great.

Took it out on our morning ride this morning (in the dark, with lights). Holy Cow - what a bike! It inspires so much confidence. All you have to do is think about a line and it goes where you want. Climbs beautifully and just floats over the rocky downhills.

So, kudos to the excellent mechanics & folks at Suck Creek Cycles for a top notch build job. I'm pretty stoked about this thing - just need to find more trail time now. Maybe I'll even figure out a way to make it to the Tribe Gathering next year...

~Trey

·
Registered
42 Posts
So would you say that the 575 blows the stumpy expert away ride-wise? Interested to hear your opinion on the two. I'm in a similar situation as you on the east coast; can't swing a dead cat without hitting a spesh dealer, but very limited on the 575 test riding. What I would be interested to hear is how sharp the handling is between the two. Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mattlock26 said:
So would you say that the 575 blows the stumpy expert away ride-wise? What I would be interested to hear is how sharp the handling is between the two.
Alright - first things first, I have nothing to offer buy my opinion and how the two bikes compare FOR ME. I have absolutely no interest in starting one of the silly threads about "brand A is better than brand B", etc.

That said...

Yes, for me, the 575 blows the Stumpy clean out of the water (and back). There is no comparison between the two.

A little background - I'm 38, used to ride on and off road quite seriously (some 15-20 years ago). I rode "casually" for 5 or 6 more years, and then maybe got on the bike a few times a year to go with the kids & such. I came off an old high end hard tail carbon MTB when I bought my Stumpy. So, the Stumpy felt great at first, especially given where I was coming from. Trouble is, the more I rode, the less impressed I was with the bike.

I ride XC type trails in the south-east (Tsali, Raccoon Mountain, Oak Mountain, etc.). I aspire to more "all mountain" type of riding, but I'm not there yet, still learning. I can't hang with most of the hard core racers I usually end up riding with, but I'm typically reasonably far ahead of the weekend warrior crowd.

So, the 575:

It tracks like a dream. The Stumpy did not. I can almost just will the bike to follow a line and it does so, seemingly on its own. The 575 seems to have extremely sharp handling without being twitchy at all. The Stumpy wasn't twitchy either, but it certainly didn't feel sharp to me.

The cockpit, with all factory parts, fits me like a glove (I'm just over 6', about 180 pounds, average proportions, I bought a large). I'm far more comfortable on the 575. Jury is still out on the Yeti saddle, but that's the only potential negative I have so far.

The 575 far out climbs the Stumpy. For some reason I practically HAD to stay in the saddle on the Stumpy or I'd lose traction. I can climb the 575 seated with the shock wide open or standing with pro-pedal. I never could get the Stumpy dialed in like that.

Build quality: I'm an architect by trade. I like "stuff" that is beautifully designed and built. The 575 is top notch to my eyes. The Stumpy was okay, but it wasn't anything special in that regard. Every detail on the 575 just seems to be perfect. Aesthetic and build quality issues may not matter much to some, but they do to me (not "bling", just excellent workmanship).

Now, understand I've got about 10 trail miles and 20 road miles on the 575 as of this morning (probably had well over 1000 on the Stumpy). So far though, I feel as though the two bikes aren't even in the same ballpark with one another.

Hope that helps, I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if you have them.

~Trey

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Trey - thanks for the insight. I am totally with you on the whole brand A brand B thing - that being said, it's always helpful to get some real-world feedback vs. what you may glean from 10 min in the bike store parking lot; the wisdom of crowds so to speak. At any rate, thank you very much for taking the time to write that and it was very helpful! Cheers - Matt

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm With Ya...

I take delivery of my own new 575 (black ano, Enduro Race build) tomorrow afternoon. Taking it right to the trail. I've been reading everybody's comments on several threads and it helped narrow the field a lot. Gave me a lot of questions to ask and helped me at least sound like I knew what I was talking about at me LBS, even though I new to the full-susp. world.

Enjoy your ride !!:cornut:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Jim Mac said:
Congrats on the new Yeti and please do post some pics. Please tell me Suck Creek Cycles sells a jersey? If not they ought to.
:thumbsup:
Sure they do.

It's a great shop. Here's a link to their site:

http://suckcreek.com/

Call them, ask for Tarbell, tell him the guy with the new Yeti sent you. They've got jerseys and great t-shirts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.