Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just arrived yesterday and I built it up last night. Size L with race disc. Plan on swapping out the fork for a Pike or Talas and the brakes for shi mano or ma gura. I also plan on putting some grips on it ;), a wider handlebar (24.4? whats up with that?) and my old ATAC Z's. Definately a nice looking bike, went together very smoothly too. Taking it for a couple hour ride this evening when I get out of this evil desk. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congrats! You'll love the ride. While I haven't tried any other fork on my 575, I'll recommend the Pike vs the Talas. The added stiffness is great, and the higher ATC makes for a relaxed yet nice handling package. Anyway, enjoy the bike!

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
amaner said:
Congrats! You'll love the ride. While I haven't tried any other fork on my 575, I'll recommend the Pike vs the Talas. The added stiffness is great, and the higher ATC makes for a relaxed yet nice handling package. Anyway, enjoy the bike!
I hope to echo your comments on the Pike. FedEx is supposed to deliver my Hope Bulb front wheel this morning and I can then put my Pike on my 575. I am pulling off an '05 Vanilla RLC. Looking forward to the comparison.

Michael

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockbender said:
Let us know how the test drive goes!
Test drive went well. Compared to the Enduro I was on, the Yeti climbs equally well (even with the 130mm fork), bobs less (than the PUSH platform rear shock that had no platform) and descends way faster. Didn't stop so well until the brakes bedded in a little bit. I still think the quad pison XT's are the brake to have. The rear suspension felt way plusher, probably due to the falling rate, but bottomed kind of hard today on the way to work. The rear end felt significantly stiffer. The tires worked ok with low pressure, but are too skinny for loose trail. I actually kind of liked the narrow handlebar. I still want to get a fork I can lower, and add a 34 tooth cogset to save some wear on the knees. And probably some bigger brakes.

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harp said:
Can you compare the XT's to Avid mech's?
~Harp
Yeah, I have used both extensively. The XT hydraulics are harder to get set up correctly, but once you get that figured out they are better on every front. They are stronger, have miuch more modulation and a better lever feel. They stay like that forever with almost no maintenance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great pics! Why have you left your steerer tube so high on your fork? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Not to answer the question for him but I did the same thing on my steerer tube. Left the extra length until I figured out the height I needed. Took a few rides to do that. Better to cut later than to soon and have to send it back to OEM to have another tube pressed in.

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joltz said:
Not to answer the question for him but I did the same thing on my steerer tube. Left the extra length until I figured out the height I needed. Took a few rides to do that. Better to cut later than to soon and have to send it back to OEM to have another tube pressed in.
Actually its because I'm selling it. But thats a good idea.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
lookin' good Parker !! How ya liking that Weirwolf on the front ?

Any plans of heading this direction before you take off for the summer ? You know just so i can throw a leg over her. You are into sharing aren't you ? : )

later, Chad

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nwmtb said:
lookin' good Parker !! How ya liking that Weirwolf on the front ?

Any plans of heading this direction before you take off for the summer ? You know just so i can throw a leg over her. You are into sharing aren't you ? : )

later, Chad
Yeah, I'll be around from the 21st till the 25th. I'd love to come through there and do some bike swapping.

I like the Weirwolf, I got the 2.5 instead of the 2.3 this time. I haven't ridden it enough to decide which is better. This one is tubeless too, amazing what a few scoops of Stan's can do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.