Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided on the 5.5 with help from brian at Champion Cyclist ([email protected]). Awesome place to buy a bike, great guys. Anyway, the bike is fantastic and looks even better in person. Was hit with snow over the past several days so am now waiting for the studded tires so I can go back out. Bike seemed great for the little time I spent riding, will update later.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maize and Blue...

awai04 said:
Nice bike, and dig the colors --maize n' blue! :D
Stop, you're killing me. My 6 yr. old loves ND and asked me to install the Gold Headset to remind him of ND, not Michigan.....but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sweetness...

cc2 said:
Decided on the 5.5 with help from brian at Champion Cyclist ([email protected]). Awesome place to buy a bike, great guys. Anyway, the bike is fantastic and looks even better in person. Was hit with snow over the past several days so am now waiting for the studded tires so I can go back out. Bike seemed great for the little time I spent riding, will update later.
This is the best picture of the midnight blue I've seen by FAR. Thanks for taking it outside. I just ordered an SC Nomad in their new 'liquid blue' color, which from what I can tell, is a copy of the Intense midnight blue - that's why I ordered it (because I like the color so much). It's suppose to get here next week and I'm REALLY hoping that the color will be similar to what you show here. Love it. :)

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
cc2 said:
Stop, you're killing me. My 6 yr. old loves ND and asked me to install the Gold Headset to remind him of ND, not Michigan.....but thanks anyway.
...If it makes you feel better, my 5.5 is sky blue with black everything else --ya, it would be a killer bike in Chapel Hill!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Arione

peachy-B said:
is that a roaddie's saddle on your 5.5?
Yeah, it looks like a Fizik Arione. I've got a couple of buddies who run those on their mtb's as well and really like it. I tried it on my roadie and mtb but I didn't like it. I do run a Selle Italia SLR XP Gel Glow on all my bikes though - it's a 'roadie' saddle too but it's definitely my all-time favorite mtb saddle-

That is a hot looking 5.5!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
jcdawes said:
This is the best picture of the midnight blue I've seen by FAR. Thanks for taking it outside. I just ordered an SC Nomad in their new 'liquid blue' color, which from what I can tell, is a copy of the Intense midnight blue - that's why I ordered it (because I like the color so much). It's suppose to get here next week and I'm REALLY hoping that the color will be similar to what you show here. Love it. :)
The 5.5 weighs exactly 27.94lbs.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
incredible bike....looks so great. all that is left are some finishing touches to accent the gold headset ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pedals?

cc2 said:
Question: What kind of pedals do you have on this bike. I can't tell from the picture. Was thinking of some egg-beaters, but can't decide between those or to stick with the Times. Any recommendations?

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Egg beaters

jcdawes said:
Question: What kind of pedals do you have on this bike. I can't tell from the picture. Was thinking of some egg-beaters, but can't decide between those or to stick with the Times. Any recommendations?
Not sure what pedals they are on the pic, maybe Shimano's 959's. I used Time Pedals for about 3 years and liked them a lot untill I bought a pair of egg beaters for my 5.5 and really loved them! No problems getting in/out and they're great in the mud. The only thing I didn't like about them was the too XC look. Check out the Candy egg beaters, they have a more trail riding look to them and come in cool color's. Hope that helps a bit. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pedals...

Cowboy-jeff said:
Not sure what pedals they are on the pic, maybe Shimano's 959's. I used Time Pedals for about 3 years and liked them a lot untill I bought a pair of egg beaters for my 5.5 and really loved them! No problems getting in/out and they're great in the mud. The only thing I didn't like about them was the too XC look. Check out the Candy egg beaters, they have a more trail riding look to them and come in cool color's. Hope that helps a bit. :cool:
The pedals are Time Atac XS...I love them. I was actually using the egg beaters for a couple of years but always had trouble getting in and out, kind of opposite from the poster above. As soon as I switched back to the Times, I realized I like these the best. I would strongly recommend the Time Atac. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
cc2 said:
The pedals are Time Atac XS...I love them. I was actually using the egg beaters for a couple of years but always had trouble getting in and out, kind of opposite from the poster above. As soon as I switched back to the Times, I realized I like these the best. I would strongly recommend the Time Atac. Good luck!
That's interesting. The attack and eggbeater essentially use the same cleat. I worked at a shop last year and pro-dealed the candy ti's (originally a shimano guy for 10 yrs). I wanted something lighter that shed mud better. I bought the candies thinking the platform would come in handy for those situations where I didn't want to be clipped in. I found the platform made it tougher to clip in and really only makes them a two-sided pedal. After a half dozen rides on the candies I sent them back to Crank Brothers and exchanged them for the eggbeaters...which I love. They have a much better engagement

Both the attack and egg beaters are great pedals. The major advantage of the eggbeater is the four-sided engagement. IMO, If you want more of a platform I would go with the attack over the candy. For XC riding, the eggbeater is the cat's ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts