Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Reels & Wheels
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks good. Basically looked like a low-slung Burner with ICSG mounts, a shock mount chip to either alter geo or travel, & with its seattube cut shorter and missing the brace. It also had a beefy solid rocker (like the 6 pack's) that had a notch in it for Fo shock. Was runnign a RP3. Looked like a few of the Turner sponsored riders were on them. Sorry, no pics.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
A few more tidbits

I talked to DT about the 4X bike and he said it's a Flux-ish geometry with a 5 Spot tubeset and a modified main (BB) pivot area. The machined yoke where the chainstays attaches to the main BB pivot was a solid piece rather than the machined out unit that we're used to seeing. I think it was using a 1.5" stroke RP3 and a 2:1 ratio rocker for about 3" of travel.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
I would start letting him know that there is a market for this (I'm sure now that there is a Blur 4-X, he's probably figured it out). I got the sense it really comes down to letting the Maxxis and Honda Turner riders help tweak the design details, a la the Highline with the hardcore freeriders, to get it ready for production.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
It's actually using the Flux/Burner/O2 type bottom bracket. The rocker is much shorter (think Nitrous) to give a 1.5:1 ratio. It does have the ISCG mounts and the ones at the race were Maxxis orange. I felt like a total dufus when I realized I could have been a Turner homer rock star if I had put pictures up and my camera was at home.

Hopefully, that will give you something to work with in PhotoChop.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Turner 4x

Hey Guys,

We have four of the new 4x bikes built up. I just haven't had time to post photos of them. I will try and get photos of the frame and built up bikes posted by tomorrow. The team feedback so far has been very, very positive. Andrew Neethling (Honda Turner) even used it in the Dirt Jump contest at Sea Otter.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Ratfink said:
Hey Guys,

We have four of the new 4x bikes built up. I just haven't had time to post photos of them. I will try and get photos of the frame and built up bikes posted by tomorrow. The team feedback so far has been very, very positive. Andrew Neethling (Honda Turner) even used it in the Dirt Jump contest at Sea Otter.
Was Neethling riding the new 4x bike in Synopsis, or was that just a Flux?

·
Registered
158 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Was Neethling riding the new 4x bike in Synopsis, or was that just a Flux?
Andrew was riding a Flux in Synopsis. Dave pickup the new 4x frame from paint last Monday leaving us just enough time to build them up before we left for Sea Otter. We need to get the RP3 shocks over to Push to work on the dampening. The stock RP3's dampening is too slow for the 2:1 ratio on this new frame.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Poll

We built 13 of the proto frame barely in time for the 'Otter, as Doug so politely pointed out. Sorry for the last minute scramble! Just think of what we could all accomplish if we lived half our lives like the last minute before the ......

Anyway, there were 3 sizes for Anka and up to John Kirkalde and Sven Martin. Neethling and Bailey and Wentz are on mediums. Sven had a good go in MCross with John K snapping a chain a few strokes outa the gate. The feedback was better than race results. All the riders that were on them raved about the handling. There will be no final geometry set untill all of them give feed back after they ride it a month or so just to make sure.

Mark will put a poll up on the Turner web site that will allow everyone to sign up for a frame. If we do not get enough Emails, we will not produce any.

DT

·
Registered
363 Posts
Christiaan said:
Will it be reamed for a King steelset?
But then you have to buy a steel set and are limited in your headset choice.

Better to keep it reamed to normal depth and if you want to run a steelset just get it reemed by your local shop. Not a big process.

I would get one but it really depends on the price.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
$

Since it uses tubing and rear from the Spot and BB from the Flux etc it will cost about the same. with the limited volume it will cost no less than a Flux. It would certainly be under 6 pounds as the protos are. It is a race bike first and foremost. But since we have had such great results with the last 3 years with EC and last 2 years with Maxxis and the Honda team I don't feel we would need to beef it above what they have ridden. EC is a great source of info for geometry but as he is so smooth we have to look elsewhere for toughness testing. Mainly Maxxis and Turner / Honda. The production head tube will have integrated rings like a 6 pack and be deep reamed to a depth of 1.1" for your choice. I think a shorter skirt is better. Steel is good, like a Spire "shore" or FSA.

DT

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.