Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna try out the newly released Shimano BR MT520 4 pot calipers with Zee levers.

Anybody using this? I will update the thread after I install and test them out.
setup?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just installed the same caliper replacing slx caliper. The nut holding the hose to the caliper was not included so had to get it separately. Slx uses banjo type. Filled it with mineral oil and it was just as easy as any shimano bleed.

In the parking lot didn't really notice any difference but when riding downhill I could really feel that there is a lot of power.

There are no fins on the pads, which might be a concern for long downhills but don't have that where I ride.

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm running 2 pot SLX's with metal pads on 203 IceTech, both front and rear.
Absolutely no stopping problems what so ever, even OTB inclined on the FB, so I switched over to resin pads.
Tons of modulation with the resin pads, but metal lock up the back unless I hang my but over the seat and place more weight over the tire (running KENDA Smallblock Pro 2.35).

The only thing I can see a 4 pot doing is increasing the lifespan of the pad due to the larger surface area, and the $$ cost for the pads goes up with this proportionately, and the finned pads are reaching the 50 buck+ price.
I'm trying to figure out how the heck Shimano prices these things .... The Zee and XT 4pot are the same casting, but the Zee is cheaper. Then you have the MT520, and thats even lower in price, has the same pistons, bleed valve, pads and hose connection. The brake lever looks like the XTR, but is aluminium rather than magnesium.

From my understanding the MT520 was destined for the STEPS series (eBikes) that are a heavier ride and need better braking, and better lifespan on the pads due to increased wear from higher speed/inertia braking.

As I'm riding a built eBike, I am looking for the best possible heat management for the rotors, and pads that give me the longest lifespan.
The TEKTRO rotor I'm looking at are 2.3mm thick, vastly better than the 1.7mm IceTech's that have a wearout @ 1.5mm....Really no lifespan to them and way too costly.
As for calipers, I'm staying with mineral oil, and looking for the best value in a 4 pot caliper.

You cant get finned pads for the MT520 but you can grind off 1 fin from the XT line and they will fit (Mod video on YouTube).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can definitely tell a difference on long descents.
They also seem to need to warm up a bit before having bite.

I am very happy in the setup so far. The tend to ride long downhill sections and fairly steep stuff. I also am not a light weight so I am testing these brakes and their ability to slow down a good amount of mass....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.