Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...
I wanted to get some input from everyone about a new trail bike i plan on buying my old man as a suprise. He has been riding a 2001 Trek Fuel 90 for 6 some odd years now...and i think hes ready for a bike with longer legs which is geared towards agressive trail riding as opposed to XC racing...(hes already broken one frame and continues to ride stuff that the fuel was never really intended for) ...He needs a new rig but is too much of a wuss to pull the trigger so i think im going to do it for him as a way to say thanks for helping me through college...
Anyway ive got a list of some real winners but am having trouble picking one over the other.

The list includes:
1. Santa Cruz Heckler
2. Santa Cruz Superlight (the new 2007)
3. Titus Motolite complete (~$2400)
4. Yeti 575
5. New Trek Fuel Ex

Alright so here is where im having trouble making a decision ...I really like the heckler for all that ive read up about it ...its a hell of a single pivot, tough as a tank, ample travel, and a pretty cheap frame at about ~1050 ( i think they have a complete coming out soon for ~1700 :eekster: ). Anyway the only reason im hesistant is my dad likes to climb and hes by no means a clyde (only 155)...so im thinking it might end up being more bike than he really needs...which is what leads me to consider that new superlight...BUT...i dont know how much of a change thats going to be from his trek fuel ..i know its got 4" in the rear...but i want him to have a dramatically longer legged bike to use...since im sure he ll keep his fuel for long tame fire road rides.
I really like the motolite (honestly i think it would be perfect for him but i cant afford to buy the new ML II frame and build it up (same with the SC Blur LT) and the complete 2007 all alum (which is affordable) has that god awful copper ano :prft: (i know its just aesthetics...but lets be real we care how our rig looks ;) )
Ive always heard good things about the 575 and the frame isnt outrageously expensive so i guess thats a possibility
Ive considered the new fuel ex b/c my pops is somewhat of a trek fan...but while im sure its a great ride i still dont think Trek has quite nailed the design yet (but theyre getting close)...Im not considering any giant or specialized bikes...they have nice bikes too but i have to cut the list somewhere ...anyway sorry for the rant...i appreciate anyone who took time to read this or respond. Im probably just comparing apples to oranges with all this but i needed to run it by ya all anyway
Happy trails....

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Pops likes Trek....

If you know he likes Trek, I'd say stick with something from Trek. My guess is he'll know you've thought hard about his personal likes in doing so. I'd vote for the EX, or if you think he's going to be too aggressive for it, then perhaps the remedy. Another thought is to look at the Fisher HiFi. Not a Trek, yet a Trek nonetheless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get a Trek

Get a Trek EX7 or EX8. I just pulled the trigger on an EX8 and I love it. The 07 Fuels are worlds better than the older ones. A GF HiFi Plus or Deluxe may be a good choice as well. You can't go wrong with a Trek product. :thumbsup:

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Chicks dig it

My wife really likes the copper brown Motolite. It looks much more interesting in person.
As you can see from the photo, we don't mind mixing and matching parts from each kit to suit us, or how we feel that day. Red one day, black or blue the next. Kinda like lego with allen bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input

i appreciate all those who took time to respond (and for the pic as well...btw that motolite pic does the color a lot more justice :thumbsup: ) Anyway ill have to ponder it some more but im thinking maybe the TREK at this point...but who knows...bottomline they are all great bikes...and im sure he will be stoked one way or the other ;)
have fun riding everyone...

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Trek is the most widely available mt. bike across the country. If there is only one bike shop in town, they carry Trek. Trek is the GM of bike companies.
In my mind then, it takes the least imagination or effort to buy one. Not that they aren't worthy bikes.
And I don't want to run into a duplicate of my bike on every trail I ride. That's why I have a bright yellow Protege 5 rather than a Jeep, Explorer or Blazer. Makes it easier to find in the grocery store parking lot, too.

I like to support the smaller bike manufaturers, to keep some variety and innovation in the industry. Have been a SRAM guy instead of Shimano for the same reasons for years. If it gets down to a few large manufaturers supplying us with bikes, we won't be as well served.

There's a whole other discussion of Trek's treatment of Bontrager frames and owners in the past.
And just try to speak to the Trek rep you see at the shop w/o an appointment. At least in this region.
Oh, and see what happens to the small bike shops in your market when Trek build a Superstore nearby.
I have similar thoughts about Specialized, but will spare you.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Take him shopping. Let him pick it out. That's a lot of money to take chances with and it'll be fun once he realizes you're serious.

While you're out, have him swing a leg over a 2007 Giant Reign 1, preferably on a trail.

You've got several nice choices there, but one or another will feel best to the old man. He does still cut his own food, right? ;)

Regards,
Jeff

·
..of the masses..
94 Posts
wow, thats a nice way to say thanks to your dad! good on you both.

i think of your list, the motolite is a good good bike. i understand about the color though. if that really is a problem, then go get some yeti pride. the yeti is a very capable bike with a lot of followers. i think your pop would love it. i would say don't get him a trek. not that they are not good bikes. i own a trek hardtail myself. but, well, a trek is so mundane. yknow? anyway, just be careful that you get a bike that fits well for your pop. best of luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.