Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a GF 293 29er this morning and it doesn't quite fit in my Sportworks/Thule Insta-Gator truck bed rack. I read the directions and it says to contact them if you have a 29er. Is there an extension of something? Any other fix for this?

Bryan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue

I have a roof-mounted SportWorks rack and when I got my Rig, I couldn't (at first) figure out why it wouldn't fit. If you're having the same problem, you're not able to swing the retention arm up and over the tire...right?

If so, the trick is to extend the ratchet all the way, put the bike in the rack and lean it slightly away from the arm mechanism. Then swing the arm straight up (90 degrees to the tray) and THEN pull the bike and tire under the retention arm. Then secure as you would any other tire.

Hopefully this makes sense. Again, if you're having the same issue, once you figure out the lean-swing-straighten-secure it's pretty straight-forward and the bike DOES fit. And you're lucky...my rack is on top of my Montero. I'm tall, but that's still a long way up there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 29er and my Saris Cycle On rack. I had a similar solution as well...I extend the arm all of the way out and then push the bike/tire forward into the arm whilke pulling back on the arm. I also usually attach a bungee cord around the handlebar and then attach it to the bottom of the rack just for an extra bit of security.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TuksonRig said:
I have a roof-mounted SportWorks rack and when I got my Rig, I couldn't (at first) figure out why it wouldn't fit. If you're having the same problem, you're not able to swing the retention arm up and over the tire...right?

If so, the trick is to extend the ratchet all the way, put the bike in the rack and lean it slightly away from the arm mechanism. Then swing the arm straight up (90 degrees to the tray) and THEN pull the bike and tire under the retention arm. Then secure as you would any other tire.

Hopefully this makes sense. Again, if you're having the same issue, once you figure out the lean-swing-straighten-secure it's pretty straight-forward and the bike DOES fit. And you're lucky...my rack is on top of my Montero. I'm tall, but that's still a long way up there.
This is the way I put my 29ers on my Bob Ratchet/Sidearm rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.