Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd love to see GT make it back in a big way and offering a 29" Zaskar is a step in the right direction. I started mtn biking on GT's and I still feel a loyalty to them to this day. However, it's been since the original I-Drive that I've ridden one. My old Zaskar from back in the day was one of the most predictable hardtails I've ever owned. There's something about that triple triangle design that just worked for me. If GT would start making a titanium Xizang 29'er I'd buy one tomorrow.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Aside from the paint the angles look the same as the Peace 9r I bought last month.

So the Peace 9r is a recreational bike? Guess I'll see how far I can push it racing, thanks for the motivation.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually started on a GT as well.

I don't remember the model name, but it was a white, steel Zaskar-style frame with blue cow spots all over. It was too small for me, but I rode the mess out of it for over a year before I bought the purple ano Zaskar frame and swapped all the parts over. You're dead on about the handling and performance, though. That Zaskar was a single track killer.

Schultz29 said:
I'd love to see GT make it back in a big way and offering a 29" Zaskar is a step in the right direction. I started mtn biking on GT's and I still feel a loyalty to them to this day. However, it's been since the original I-Drive that I've ridden one. My old Zaskar from back in the day was one of the most predictable hardtails I've ever owned. There's something about that triple triangle design that just worked for me. If GT would start making a titanium Xizang 29'er I'd buy one tomorrow.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
boomn said:
Woah! That frame paint job and the Fox fork look great together.

Should be a killer bike!
add some blue bits and a set of blue I-9s/Arches - will look sweet, probably run like a scalded cat.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
the Zaskar GT was all about the triple triangle design. Bringing it back in the 29er format is going to be very nice indeed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ah yeah Baby!

My first GT was a "Pro Performer" in 1987. My first full suspensen was a 1999 LTS, I still ride it!!!! I'd buy a 29er Zaskar in a minute!!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nice. I hope they fixed the issues with the Marathon 9r too.

Damnit. I want that Zaskar. But I also want to ride NOW, so I'll still be getting a Redline. I hope it's available as a frame. In my mind I put Zaskars up their with stumpjumpers as classic, sweet handling hardtails that just seem to work the way you want em to.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's very tempting, my first 'real' mtn bike was a Zaskar LE frame with LX components so I could afford it. Now I kick myself in the ass for selling it. Maybe they'll offer it in ballburnished silver too?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sweet rig! I remember GT being teh Tittay's back in the day. I would like to see them make a comeback.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice to see that GT continues to make a strong resurgence. Like many others, my first high-end MTBs were GTs. Definitely "THE" brand to have in 90s. Still have an old ball-burnished Avalanche in my garage (that frame just won't die!).

Speaking of ball-burnished, GT did a limited run of 500 U.S. made Zaskar re-issues for 2008. If they did the same thing on the new 29er, I'd buy one in a nanosecond! Here is pic of the 26er:

Paul

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its a nice bike but I still think my Fisher has it beat. GT is a bit outragous with their prices.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Paul1PA said:
Nice to see that GT continues to make a strong resurgence. Like many others, my first high-end MTBs were GTs. Definitely "THE" brand to have in 90s. Still have an old ball-burnished Avalanche in my garage (that frame just won't die!).

Speaking of ball-burnished, GT did a limited run of 500 U.S. made Zaskar re-issues for 2008. If they did the same thing on the new 29er, I'd buy one in a nanosecond! Here is pic of the 26er:

Paul
I had a polished Zaskar and i loved that bike, stolen twice (recovered once) now some gypsy in Spain is riding it. It was a great bike

the new one looks nice

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My first mountain bike was a GT as well, I am really liking the look of that Zaskar!

I always wanted a Zaskar, but could never afford one when I was first riding. I would not mind getting my hands on one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.