Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1032 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Did the frame only geometry change a lot or is it mainly due to being spec'd with a Krampus length fork now? Chainstays are different and the seat tube curves too - but as to HT angle is it just due to the longer rigid fork? Thoughts?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Did the frame only geometry change a lot or is it mainly due to being spec'd with a Krampus length fork now? Chainstays are different and the seat tube curves too - but as to HT angle is it just due to the longer rigid fork? Thoughts?
The fork is only 15mm longer, which would have only slackened the old bike by ~.75 degrees instead of 2.5 degrees. Also, the seat tube angle remains at 73.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
At least the 1x1 is untouched. There's nothing that needs changing on it.

With 2.8" Dirt Wizards it's a 29er killer. I regard it as my Pug's svelte older brother. :)

I haven't ridden my 29er since putting DWs on my 1x1, and if it can't handle conditions, it's time for the Pugsley.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Are there any issues with they way they are handling the rear spacing? So it's 145 which isn't a real size. You can then clamp it down to 142 or push it out to 148. Is there any long term impact on pushing or pulling frame like that over years?

·
Registered
593 Posts
" Is there any long term impact on pushing or pulling frame like that over years?"

There should be no problems with doing this to a steel frame. Not sure I'd do it with an aluminium frame, though.

Regarding the pricing, at $1175 for the SS and $1400 for the geared version I think the pricing is pretty competitive. Should only be a little more than a Kona Unit and cheaper than an equivalent build of a Nimble 9 or Trans Am.

·
Registered
298 Posts
how much would it shorten the reach if one were to run a 120-130mm fork on this frame? I am really digging the new Geo. Colors are a bit loud for me. Does anyone still sell Surly Decals for repainting?

1 - 20 of 1032 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.