Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of 80s/90s bikes I fixed up this summer, and the rubber on them is really old. Was curious what tires/treads people are running these days and who is still making nice 26" tires?

I am using Rekons on my 29er and I love them, something similar for 26ers would be great. I also have Riddler/Raddler combo on my gravel bikes and really dig that tire too.

Would be great if they also weren't $80+ like Rene Herse or Ultradynamico. Thanks

· Registered
3,172 Posts
Multiple companies still offer 26 but many have sold out because of all the old bikes being dug up. Check chainreactioncycles. They usually have a good selection of maxis, schwalbe and michelin 26" tires. Shipping is basically as fast as domestic.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
I’ve gone through a few. Maxxis Ardent Race, schwalbe hans dampf, maxxis dhf, michelin DH34 x2.

schealbe has a nice selection. Maxxis a decent selection. Michelin not so many but dang how many choices do you NEED when it’s the dh34.

· Registered
249 Posts
I have a couple of 80s/90s bikes I fixed up this summer, and the rubber on them is really old. Was curious what tires/treads people are running these days and who is still making nice 26" tires?
I have a late 80s Trek 26" hardtail that I still use from time to time. It's not set up for tubeless and I don't care about saving a few grams on this bike. Given that, the most cost-effective solution for me has been old-school wire bead 26" tires from Continental (either the Cross King, Mountain King, or Trail King). You can find these for low as $35.

These tires won't ride as nice as your Maxxis Rekons (which I have on my 29er), but they're plenty good enough for my old hardtail and have held up well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.