Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

Registered
The vigilante will be better suited to places with soil, loam. It will handle dry rocky but there are better options. Expect slower rolling and maybe some lug squirm compared to your current tires. I would prefer the butcher/purg combo than the vigilante for N AZ. Some other options that are excellent dry tires: either of the minions, and michelin wild rock'r2. If you like WTB the trail boss would be a good AZ tire. Check that link I posted. They usually have a good selection and good deals on 26" tires.
Thanks for the info on the Vigilante. Sounds like the wrong tire.

Yeah, I would prefer another set of 26" Butcher/Purgatory tires but the LBS does not have them (only 27.5 and 29) and the Specialized web site does not even list those tires in 26" -- only larger sizes.

The WTB site shows the 26" Trail Boss is Sold Out. Amazon has them in stock. Can I use the same tire in both front and rear?

I'll do more research. Or maybe I'll buy a new 27.5" bike. Oh, wait, those are hard to get, too ;-)
This link? I could not find any WTB tires/tyres on that site.

Registered
Thanks for the info on the Vigilante. Sounds like the wrong tire.

Yeah, I would prefer another set of 26" Butcher/Purgatory tires but the LBS does not have them (only 27.5 and 29) and the Specialized web site does not even list those tires in 26" -- only larger sizes.

The WTB site shows the 26" Trail Boss is Sold Out. Amazon has them in stock. Can I use the same tire in both front and rear?

I'll do more research. Or maybe I'll buy a new 27.5" bike. Oh, wait, those are hard to get, too ;-)

This link? I could not find any WTB tires/tyres on that site.
People tend to like the TB in the back but it could be used up front too. Really depends on how much traction you want. A front TB isn't going to offer the same levers of grip as a butcher, but it will roll faster assuming you're comparing similar widths and compounds. The minion's are probably the easiest 26" tires to source these days. I would consider the DHR up front. It will offer similar rolling speeds and traction as a butcher assuming you have the latest version. The original butcher was similar to a DHF. You can also take a look at schwalbe tires. They don't make any excellent dry conditions tires IMO, but the hans dampf 2 and big betty are worth a look. Both are pretty new tires available in 26.

Registered
Woo-hoo!
Found some 26/2.3" tires in one of the smaller LBS here.
Thanks for the discussion!

-db-

41 - 45 of 45 Posts