Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a couple older hardtails, with 26" tires. There is nothing wrong with them, and they still run great. I was wondering what websites people use to find new 26 tires? I still use tubes with these bikes, prefer folding big time, and live in Socal, (arid conditions, not much rain, very little mud).

One of them is a mid-2000's Jamis Dragon. This is my trail bike, don't do anything crazy. Swoopy stuff, small jumps, climbing, slalom-type handling, excercise (XC), etc. Some of the 26 tires, that I've enjoyed on this hardtail were: Kenda Excavator DTC 2.1, Kenda Blue Groove DTC 2.35 (front), WTB Mutano 2.4 (aka "Mutano Raptor", great rear tire btw), Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 (rear), etc. Basically, I would like to buy a couple tires, that are folding, and as capable as the above mentioned ones.

The other one is a mid-90's Diamondback Apex. It is a rigid mtb, set up for Street and light trails. I really liked the: WTB Nano 2.1 (aka "Nanoraptor" in the old days), Kenda Small Block 8 DTC 2.1, and Specialized Fast Trak 2.2(?) folding. Similar scenario as the above.

I believe Kenda still makes the Small Block 8 in 26 folding, and Panaracer still makes the Fire XC in 26 folding as well. Since "the industry" has decided to pull the rug out, from us riders who still enjoy a 26er, was wondering if people had some tips? I see good 26 tires pop-up on Ebay, and there are a few on Performance Bike's website. Maybe I'll check out a Swap Meet? Any tips on companies that still make new, folding 26 tires, that are good? I would pay up to around $50 a tire. Very interested to hear some of your thoughts. I don't want to give up on these bikes, there is nothing wrong with them, and it would be a shame.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The latest and greatest tires aren't offered in 26 but I've never had a problem getting tires ordering online. Maxxis still seems to be making new 26" tires. My lest set was a set of Maxxis Ardents in 2.25's.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,365 Posts
Just ordered some maxxis tubeless with my new 26” wheel set from coloradocyclist.

Reactions: DragonStyle

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put a set of Continental Trail Kings 2.2 on my old Stumpy hardtail. They weren't very expensive either, around 33euro for both when I ordered earlier this year. They setup tubeless easily as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your LBS can’t get what you want in a reasonable amount of time take a look at the online retailers. I use Jenson, competitive cyclist, worldwide cyclery, bike tires direct and lost co. There should still be enough variety and availability to keep your 26s running for a while.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The latest and greatest tires aren't offered in 26 but I've never had a problem getting tires ordering online. Maxxis still seems to be making new 26" tires. My lest set was a set of Maxxis Ardents in 2.25's.
Yes, I've noticed some 26 Maxxis for sale, on Ebay, (and my local CL). Strange, never tried Maxxis before. They were usually expensive, and I heard the sidewalls are easier to get cut. Hence had to make sure they were "Exo" as well. I used to stock up on the Kenda Excavator DTC 2.1, I loved that tire, cheaper and a really good tire, imho. Also, for Maxxis, I read that you have to ride your bike differently, to use them their fullest, (leaning the bike, versus steering). Nevertheless, have heard many good things about them, the Ikon, Ardent, Crossmark (for the rear), and High Roller.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah it is getting slim out there. I have been buying direct from Maxxis or paying for shipping from one of the overseas online places.

·
Registered
452 Posts
26" tires are everywhere....all brands, anything U want....don't listen to the fruitcakes who say other wise....kids and short peeps still ride 26"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
26" tires are everywhere....all brands, anything U want....don't listen to the fruitcakes who say other wise....kids and short peeps still ride 26"
I don't know, the "world supply" seems to be getting smaller and smaller, it sux. True, there are a bunch of Bell brand tires, for sale at Walmart, lol. And many bad-performing, wire bead, 26 tires. But I'm after the confident, well-made ones. It seems there are still options though, thankfully.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,282 Posts
I don't know, the "world supply" seems to be getting smaller and smaller, it sux. True, there are a bunch of Bell brand tires, for sale at Walmart, lol. And many bad-performing, wire bead, 26 tires. But I'm after the confident, well-made ones. It seems there are still options though, thankfully.
you're incorrect. tire manufacturers still are making the 26" tires, it's just that LBS only stocks trendy stuff and that means 27.5 or 29 inch tires on their walls. all the quality 26" are still available, you're just not going to see them on display. look up any tire manufacturers website (conti, kenda, maxxis, whatever floats your boat) they still have a gang of their 26" tires still in production. if they didn't still make them, nobody would have them for sale anywhere anymore. i still run 26" on all my bikes and i never have any issues finding the exact rims and tires i want from the companies who actually make them instead of some store that says they don't have them..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was able to order Kenda Nevegals right from the kenda site. Same with maxxis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Every time I find a good deal on a bike part or accessory on ebay, it turns out to be from Planet Cyclery. Looks like they have a decent selection of 26". I bought some Kenda's from them recently.

·
Registered
189 Posts
you're incorrect. tire manufacturers still are making the 26" tires, it's just that LBS only stocks trendy stuff and that means 27.5 or 29 inch tires on their walls. all the quality 26" are still available, you're just not going to see them on display. look up any tire manufacturers website (conti, kenda, maxxis, whatever floats your boat) they still have a gang of their 26" tires still in production. if they didn't still make them, nobody would have them for sale anywhere anymore. i still run 26" on all my bikes and i never have any issues finding the exact rims and tires i want from the companies who actually make them instead of some store that says they don't have them..
Just got myself a 26x2.3 Minion DHF. When my rear highroller II wears out on my dad/ kid carrier bike i will move the front one to the rear and refresh the front. Thats on a ‘96 iron horse hardtail which was my first real mtb when i was 13. Yeah i tend to hang onto things as long as possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting. Maybe, because I am looking for older model tires, they have become discontinued. For example, I was looking for Kenda Excavators, and it was difficult to find them, so I gave up. Same thing with WTB Mutano's, and WTB Nano's.

Another poster here, mentioned that the modern, cutting edge stuff, is not going to be produced in 26", and that is what it seems like to me. However, you seem to be finding whatever you want. I mean I looked on the Kenda and WTB websites, and their offerings for 26" tires, is not very generous. In fact, as I type this, there is only one 26 model for sale, on the WTB website, the "Vigilante 2.3". There are some tires available, true, but not like it was, 10-15 years ago, where there was a rich field of offerings. On the other hand, Continental, Maxxis, and Panaracer, seem to have more options, for 26". I need to visit all of these websites, and do more research.

When you say, "if they didn't still make them, nobody would have them for sale anywhere anymore". I'm guessing that you are talking about online stores correct? Because it is damn hard to find 26" tires, in brick-and-mortar stores, (besides Bell tires at Walmart, lol).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Many tires get discontinued regardless of size. Some tires just don't sell well like the tires you listed. For sure there are fewer new options in 26" but we are still seeing companies investing in new molds. Scwhalbe just released the big betty in 26". Michelin just released the dh34. There's no marketing for 26 so we don't hear about new options. For example, when Michelin put out the wild enduro in 2018 it was said to only come in 27 and 29. That link I posted has that tire in stock in 26.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts