Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure many of us have seen the email but it looks as if a new Occam is coming for 2022.

Looks to be geared more towards the enduro spectrum so it’ll be interesting to see what the updates bring!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Bets?

I think it will be a mullet bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mullet would be interesting. I’d say more travel for sure, 150/150 or 160/150 possibly. In the coil shock form someone said strong possibility of more travel and a coil. Being that the Rallon already comes stock with one so wouldn’t be a surprising move.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I would actually like to see a shorter travel version. The current one is pretty darn close to a Rallon. A 130mm bike would be a lot of fun.

Reactions: David R

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be interesting to see what direction they're going. Given that they're calling this an "Enduro machine" my guess is more travel for the whole rage. Would be interesting if they went to the older style with a long travel and short travel version.

Giving the whole range a bump, assuming the Rallon is getting a refresh too, would leave a shorter travel gap in their lineup. Time will tell!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would actually like to see a shorter travel version. The current one is pretty darn close to a Rallon. A 130mm bike would be a lot of fun.
I've owned both, the 2020 Rallon and a 2020 Occam. Although the travel is not that of a drastic difference, they ride very differently. Actually, I sold the Occam again because it was just not enough of a bike. Replaced it with a Sb130 which is more capable with less travel.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've owned both, the 2020 Rallon and a 2020 Occam. Although the travel is not that of a drastic difference, they ride very differently. Actually, I sold the Occam again because it was just not enough of a bike. Replaced it with a Sb130 which is more capable with less travel.
I too have a 2018 Rallon and a 2020 Occam. I wonder how much of the ride difference is actually due to the rear shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too have a 2018 Rallon and a 2020 Occam. I wonder how much of the ride difference is actually due to the rear shock.
Do you have the rally-on linkage? That gives you 10mm more Travel and more progression. I'm running my Rallon with a DHX2 and a Lyrik ultimate. That thing is really planted and plush. Couldn't say that about the Occam though.

I really liked the Occam (had it with the 150mm 36), but it was very nervous and blew through the travel a lot. I found it hard to ride it aggressively.

Regarding to you question about the shock. At some point I also had a DPX2 in the Rallon Wich still rode a whole lot more planted then the Occam.

From my perspective the Occam really is a light trail bike. Not to be compared with an Enduro.

I would like to see a bit more progression the rear end, little more wheelbase and a 65ish head angle.

FWIW, I had an M10 in size large and my Rallon is a size XL. But they only differ in reach by 10mm. I'm 185cm.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 5 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Do you have the rally-on linkage? That gives you 10mm more Travel and more progression. I'm running my Rallon with a DHX2 and a Lyrik ultimate. That thing is really planted and plush. Couldn't say that about the Occam though.

I really liked the Occam (had it with the 150mm 36), but it was very nervous and blew through the travel a lot. I found it hard to ride it aggressively.

Regarding to you question about the shock. At some point I also had a DPX2 in the Rallon Wich still rode a whole lot more planted then the Occam.

From my perspective the Occam really is a light trail bike. Not to be compared with an Enduro.

I would like to see a bit more progression the rear end, little more wheelbase and a 65ish head angle.

FWIW, I had an M10 in size large and my Rallon is a size XL. But they only differ in reach by 10mm. I'm 185cm.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 5 mit Tapatalk
No, my Rallon has the orginal linkage.

I can't say I am having problems with my Occam blowing through its travel. It uses all the travel but in pretty darn controlled manner. But coming from an XC background I have a preference for firm suspension settings.

I didn't get the Occam hoping for a mini-enduro bike. I set it up as a true trail bike, I put a 34 on front and run flat bars and slightly longer stem, and light trail tires. It is my all-day adventure bike, and actually works pretty well at that. And honestly the trail needs to be pretty darn aggressive before it my Rallon is quicker. My only complaint is the stack height on the medium is taller than I would like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, my Rallon has the orginal linkage.

I can't say I am having problems with my Occam blowing through its travel. It uses all the travel but in pretty darn controlled manner. But coming from an XC background I have a preference for firm suspension settings.

I didn't get the Occam hoping for a mini-enduro bike. I set it up as a true trail bike, I put a 34 on front and run flat bars and slightly longer stem, and light trail tires. It is my all-day adventure bike, and actually works pretty well at that. And honestly the trail needs to be pretty darn aggressive before it my Rallon is quicker. My only complaint is the stack height on the medium is taller than I would like.
yeah, I guess it really depends on perspective here. I have my SB130 as my everyday trail bike (the same where I wanted the Occam for). But our trails here are pretty rough and I usually like to ride aggressively. But keep the enduro for park and weekends etc. where I have more time. My everyday bike should be well rounded but should be able to tackle everything here while still being fun on the uphills (like to climb tech stuff, something the occam was really good at).

Stack height was fine for me, but I do have really long legs and normal arms so that I actually need a higher stack. But ofc it's also preference since my focus is on the downhills.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
yeah, I guess it really depends on perspective here. I have my SB130 as my everyday trail bike (the same where I wanted the Occam for). But our trails here are pretty rough and I usually like to ride aggressively. But keep the enduro for park and weekends etc. where I have more time. My everyday bike should be well rounded but should be able to tackle everything here while still being fun on the uphills (like to climb tech stuff, something the occam was really good at).

Stack height was fine for me, but I do have really long legs and normal arms so that I actually need a higher stack. But ofc it's also preference since my focus is on the downhills.
I am pretty happy with the all around performance. I have spent a fair bit of time riding my Occam in Squamish and Whistler and it was super solid on everything but the double blacks. Where I am based, Kamloops, the trails are quite fast and the bike is awesome on all but the steepest trails.

But the funny thing with bikes is it what you are use to that matters. When you spend significant time on the same trails on a XC bike, a 140mm bike with tires that have treads feels absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just saw on Geoff Gulevich's YouTube channel that the new Rallon is dropping today so that should give some indication of what direction the Occam is going.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
160+Coil version ;)
and yes a coil on the occam is a night and day difference on how the bike works.
I thought you were complaining about the Occam not being progressive enough. Coils need a super progressive frame design to work well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought you were complaining about the Occam not being progressive enough. Coils need a super progressive frame design to work well.
Not complaining at all :)
We’ve been running this configuration for almost a year now, and it’s magnificent !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts