Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word is they are working on a replacement to the ASR. It uses the Switch Infinity suspension and would bet 100mm of travel f/r. Anyone know details?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I do hope so. I am looking for a replacement for my current asrc and there is just nothing out there like it at least what I have been able to try. I replaced my tallboy 3 for the yeti and have had zero regrets. I also have a hightower that rarely gets ridden because I always grab the yeti first. just the combination of climbing and descending in a lightweight bike I have yet to find an equal for the east coast trails I ride. if they can keep the frame weight in the mid 4 pound range but go to the switch suspension I will be first inline. Unless santacruz or intense get back to making a lightweight 100-110mm xc/trail bike first.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts
I've also heard rumors.

If it has a bottle cage, sign me up.
Or two.

I'm a pretty flexible dude but the under-side downtube bottle cage is useless for anything other than a tool keg. Bending down there on anything other than a smooth road is a great way to knock out your teeth.

That said, it's going to have to be something special. Plenty of other companies making comparable bikes, and many at better prices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Word is they are working on a replacement to the ASR. It uses the Switch Infinity suspension and would bet 100mm of travel f/r. Anyone know details?
Many of us are waiting for it... 120mm and 67 ‘5 HT angle would be fantastic! Let’s see if it comes to light next summer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Or two.

I'm a pretty flexible dude but the under-side downtube bottle cage is useless for anything other than a tool keg. Bending down there on anything other than a smooth road is a great way to knock out your teeth.

That said, it's going to have to be something special. Plenty of other companies making comparable bikes, and many at better prices.

what do you see as comparable? I feel like there is either true trail bikes(tallboy, ripley ls, 4.5, stumpjumper, fuel ex) or dedicated race bikes(epic, top fuel, scott spark) but not alot of near 4lb frames that can do most things a 140mm frame can do. I just wish bike companies were like car companies where they would hype an upcoming model up with some info before the new model comes out. seems like if a bike company said yeah we have this coming out next year people wouldn't jump brands so much.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts
what do you see as comparable? I feel like there is either true trail bikes(tallboy, ripley ls, 4.5, stumpjumper, fuel ex) or dedicated race bikes(epic, top fuel, scott spark) but not alot of near 4lb frames that can do most things a 140mm frame can do. I just wish bike companies were like car companies where they would hype an upcoming model up with some info before the new model comes out. seems like if a bike company said yeah we have this coming out next year people wouldn't jump brands so much.
Well, the Spark RC has more "trail bike" geometry than the ASRc does, despite coming with a 100mm fork up front. Same HTA, longer reach, shorter CS, etc. Bump that up to a 120mm fork and you're looking at a 67.5° HTA, where the ASRc is 68.5 at that length.

I love my ASRc, but I don't think it can do things a 140mm bike can do. Taking it down a trail like Captain Ahab you quickly learn the limits of 100mm in the back. Can you knock out a blazing fast Hymasa/Ahab lap? Yeah. But the descent isn't remotely comparable to what you could do on a 130/120 or longer travel bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, the Spark RC has more "trail bike" geometry than the ASRc does, despite coming with a 100mm fork up front. Same HTA, longer reach, shorter CS, etc. Bump that up to a 120mm fork and you're looking at a 67.5° HTA, where the ASRc is 68.5 at that length.

I love my ASRc, but I don't think it can do things a 140mm bike can do. Taking it down a trail like Captain Ahab you quickly learn the limits of 100mm in the back. Can you knock out a blazing fast Hymasa/Ahab lap? Yeah. But the descent isn't remotely comparable to what you could do on a 130/120 or longer travel bike.

there is always a better bike for a particular trail and even a particular rider. If moab were my local trails or sedona or santa cruz california or probably anywhere west of the mississippi I may hate the asrc but for me and my trails it is the best bike I have ridden on the trails I ride 90% of the time. I still take my hightower out on occasion for the crazier trails but always miss the yeti and is probably the reason I will sell the hightower this winter because it gets so little use. Last time I was in moab I had my santacruz 5010 and did ahab but I go out west once every 2 years if I am lucky. I am on the east coast where it is dirt, roots and alot of rocks, up down and everything in between. geometry is only part of what a bike is or isn't. Sure you could you throw a 120 on an epic or spark rc but its not what it was designed for and I hate both the brain shock and scotts switch lock. I have never used a lock out on any shock or fork I have had. I have ridden the new spark and new epic and they still are just too far on the xc side of the spectrum. I went from a tallboy 1 to a tallboy 2 to a tallboy LT to a 5010 to an evil following to an ibis HD3 to a tallboy3 to a hightower to the asrc and for the riding I do 90% of the time the asrc is the best bike by far for the job. But there was a time my 26" santa cruz heckler was the best bike I ever had so I am sure there will be something new in the future that I will feel that way about. But for me currently I have not seen or ridden anything that can replace it. I had hardtails that could climb better and most of my previous bikes descended alittle better but not one combined the overall fun feel that I was looking for. Maybe its just the fit for my size who knows it just is the most fun bike i have ridden. I am just talking about my trails and my type of riding this bike is the best i have owned. i almost bought a 2nd frame when they went on sale so that if this one got too beat up i had a replacement. Dream frame would be 100-120mm 4.2-4.4lb weight fox dps shock at least one water bottle in frame built by yeti and as sexy as the 4.5 or 5.5. really a light duty 4.5 designed for a 120mm fork with an inframe water bottle mount would be perfect. Maybe too much overlap to a 4.5 so will never happen but guess we will see next year.

Reactions: kfb66

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts
there is always a better bike for a particular trail and even a particular rider. If moab were my local trails or sedona or santa cruz california or probably anywhere west of the mississippi I may hate the asrc but for me and my trails it is the best bike I have ridden on the trails I ride 90% of the time. I still take my hightower out on occasion for the crazier trails but always miss the yeti and is probably the reason I will sell the hightower this winter because it gets so little use. Last time I was in moab I had my santacruz 5010 and did ahab but I go out west once every 2 years if I am lucky. I am on the east coast where it is dirt, roots and alot of rocks, up down and everything in between. geometry is only part of what a bike is or isn't. Sure you could you throw a 120 on an epic or spark rc but its not what it was designed for and I hate both the brain shock and scotts switch lock. I have never used a lock out on any shock or fork I have had. I have ridden the new spark and new epic and they still are just too far on the xc side of the spectrum. I went from a tallboy 1 to a tallboy 2 to a tallboy LT to a 5010 to an evil following to an ibis HD3 to a tallboy3 to a hightower to the asrc and for the riding I do 90% of the time the asrc is the best bike by far for the job. But there was a time my 26" santa cruz heckler was the best bike I ever had so I am sure there will be something new in the future that I will feel that way about. But for me currently I have not seen or ridden anything that can replace it. I had hardtails that could climb better and most of my previous bikes descended alittle better but not one combined the overall fun feel that I was looking for. Maybe its just the fit for my size who knows it just is the most fun bike i have ridden. I am just talking about my trails and my type of riding this bike is the best i have owned. i almost bought a 2nd frame when they went on sale so that if this one got too beat up i had a replacement. Dream frame would be 100-120mm 4.2-4.4lb weight fox dps shock at least one water bottle in frame built by yeti and as sexy as the 4.5 or 5.5. really a light duty 4.5 designed for a 120mm fork with an inframe water bottle mount would be perfect. Maybe too much overlap to a 4.5 so will never happen but guess we will see next year.
The non-RC, 120/120mm Spark is an interesting option, too.

That said, the best one-bike I've ever ridden was the 2016 Trek Fuel EX.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The non-RC, 120/120mm Spark is an interesting option, too.

almost bought a 120mm spark frame but hate the twinlock and can't see any other fox shock that will fit. I do like that bike alot. the 2016 fuel ex was a great bike I feel they ruined it alittle for the 17'. rumor specialized is working on a new camber too that may be nice if it has a normal shock.

·
Registered
786 Posts
East coast riding anything 10+ miles I prefer bigger wheels, lighter, and shorter travel. Yea, if I were doing the full enchilada at moab I'd probably go for a longer travel 27.5. My everyday bike is the ASRC

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I realize it leans a bit more toward the trail side of the spectrum than the '16 but I picked up a '18 Trek Fuel EX and I'm shocked at how versatile it is with 130mm front and rear and 26 lbs on the nose. With a carbon post, saddle and some XC rims and tires I could easily get it to under 25 lbs.

·
chasing simplicity
1,272 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but it's weird...the Spark RC models list a 165 x 40 but the non-RC Spark models list 165 x 45...does that seem right or a typo? Thought the frames were same mold, just different material. I'm with Tony...considering FS bikes for next year and don't really want the twinloc.

On topic: I stopped in to World Wide Cyclery (ten mins from my house) which is the nearest Yeti dealer to me and they don't have details but they were pretty sure a new ASRc is coming...lighter, boost, etc.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but it's weird...the Spark RC models list a 165 x 40 but the non-RC Spark models list 165 x 45...does that seem right or a typo? Thought the frames were same mold, just different material. I'm with Tony...considering FS bikes for next year and don't really want the twinloc.

On topic: I stopped in to World Wide Cyclery (ten mins from my house) which is the nearest Yeti dealer to me and they don't have details but they were pretty sure a new ASRc is coming...lighter, boost, etc.
The RC is a 100/100mm bike.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-spark-rc-900-sl-bike?article=265228006

The non-RC is a 120/120mm bike.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-spark-900-bike

Like you guys, I don't want a remote for my suspension. Thus, my suggestion of swapping out the shock for a 165x45 DPS with trunnion mount on the non-RC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I cant tell you much I agree with this... they need to stop keeping crap so hush hush... Sorry but I jumped ship last week with a pivot 429sl... why?? because Yeti has not said anything about a xc bike in there line up... its all rumors. When racing season hits I dont want to be scrambling on building/learning the new bike. This "stay tuned" on there facebook page a month or two back was bs. I raced my 4.5 last year and it didnt turn like a xc bike because of the slack, even with a 130mm on the front. The lack of a water bottle in the tri also makes a non xc bike, especially for the time trials when you dont need a camelback. But I do hope they come out with a xc bike because Ill probably pick one up in the coming years, just needed to make my move now.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I cant tell you much I agree with this... they need to stop keeping crap so hush hush... Sorry but I jumped ship last week with a pivot 429sl... why?? because Yeti has not said anything about a xc bike in there line up... its all rumors. When racing season hits I dont want to be scrambling on building/learning the new bike. This "stay tuned" on there facebook page a month or two back was bs. I raced my 4.5 last year and it didnt turn like a xc bike because of the slack, even with a 130mm on the front. The lack of a water bottle in the tri also makes a non xc bike, especially for the time trials when you dont need a camelback. But I do hope they come out with a xc bike because Ill probably pick one up in the coming years, just needed to make my move now.
Which is exactly what Yeti (Jon P) would tell you to do! If yeti isn’t making the bike you want/need at the time you’re ready to purchase, go buy a bike that will make you happy and ride. Don’t wait for the bike that may or may not happen.

Having said that...I’m speculating that Yeti will eventually come out with a light weight 120mm SI XC Bike with 69* ha and 2 water bottles, boost, internal cable routing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 725 Posts