Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, After getting back into riding after a few years off, I came to realize that my saddle wasn't cutting it. I went to my Specialized dealer and got my sit bones measured and to my surprise, the number was 148. I decided to try the brand new 2011 Specialized Phenom Expert 155mm, and couldn't be happier! The difference was night and day right off the bat. This is a competitive XC saddle (I don't know the weight, but it seems lighter than my old Sell Italia Flite Gel). It's extremely low profile, with a carbon fiber re-enforced body, and hollow Ti rails.

I highly recommend this saddle, and with so many different sizes available, it can fit almost anyone! Available in 130, 143, and 155 sizes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can you or anyone else post some pics of the 2011 Phenom saddle? I can't seem to find any pics or info but my LBS said he could order one for me. I know that they changed it a little from the previous model but would like to know how much...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I will tonight. It is more low profile than the old phenoms and has a closed "back" to prevent snagging your baggy shorts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for posting these. I just ordered a Henge Expert this morning after looking at the Phenom. It just looks too thin for 2+ hour rides over rocky terrain.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Woogie1 said:
Here are the pics.
Looks like your bike might be a bit small for you, if you have to run the saddle that far forward on the rails.

My guess, is you will bend the rails of that saddle in no time with the way it is setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I didn't notice that. I was set up correctly, but I took a big fall and must have jacked the saddle... and my knee...

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
It wouldn't look weird on a standard setback seat post, and the rails might last longer too. OP might just have long femurs. :D

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
amillmtb said:
Guess I'll be stocking up now, it looks like the Henge. My favorite saddle is the current Phenom.
Spec seems to change things a lot even in the same model across years. I have an Alias saddle and it looks way different than the current one.

Sometimes I get confused on what they call things. I mean you have the SL models which were or are the top model. Now where does "Expert" fall in?

·
Registered
674 Posts
ziscwg said:
Spec seems to change things a lot even in the same model across years. I have an Alias saddle and it looks way different than the current one.

Sometimes I get confused on what they call things. I mean you have the SL models which were or are the top model. Now where does "Expert" fall in?
At one point didn't comp mean competitive or something like that, instead of compromise?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
How's the saddle feel? We need a ride report. It certainly doesn't look as cool as the previous phenom but that's not really important...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ride report.... Saddle feels great, but then again that may just be because I am coming off of an ass hatchet.

No numbness, no pain, could be because of the design or the fact that it is the correct size for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Woogie1 said:
Ride report.... Saddle feels great, but then again that may just be because I am coming off of an ass hatchet.

No numbness, no pain, could be because of the design or the fact that it is the correct size for me.
Lol.. Thanks for the ride report. What kind of ass hatchet were you riding?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts